wide beam

mizpah2

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, DRP said:

Stop worrying, and enjoy it.

Here's inspiration for you;

20160923_142227_resized.jpg.002cf4a6b1825d4a1e3aa43b7e5f71a3.jpg

Margaret is 5feet 2ins, 71/2 stone and "well over 21".

You'll soon find you don't need the bow thruster, and certainly not the silly stick thing on the tiller.

Welcome to the world of fat boats!

IMG_0141.JPG

Many thanks for this; Margaret is a power house and I have a lot to live up to if I don't want to let the distaff side down!

On 2017-5-29 at 11:17, Ray T said:

Went to the Crick Boat Show yesterday and at a casual glance I would suggest there were as many wide beams on display as narrow boats. Certainly more than a couple of years ago.

I noticed that also, a few narrows over by the bridge entrance then the rest were wide beams.

Had a look on a couple and i was a little envious of the room they have, but standing at the stern and looking down made me realise how much hard work it must be to steer them, more so through bridges, tight gaps...

• 4 months later...
On 30/05/2017 at 13:12, Dave Payne said:

I noticed that also, a few narrows over by the bridge entrance then the rest were wide beams.

Had a look on a couple and i was a little envious of the room they have, but standing at the stern and looking down made me realise how much hard work it must be to steer them, more so through bridges, tight gaps...

Not really. I haven't found my widebeam any more difficult to steer than my old narrowboat.

• 1 year later...

My first trip apart from round Salt House Docks to Marina on winter moorings was up to Maghull. In a very bad storm steering a 12ft. 6 width 60ft wide beam was fun and games and control panel is a little tricky at first to reach so traveled at a slow pace.  It does not help that the Canal has not been dredged till past Litherland in recent History, hence Pride Of Sefton 2 and my Boat both had Carpet lodged round our propellers. As had to wind my self some CRT Dredging Boats. Waste Barges and Boat Cranes near Melling where canal breached.. And was stuck on the towpath bank and towed of by CRT contractors small tug.  Past Melling my Journey was very smooth got to grips with the boat and felt confident enough to whack the speed up a bit (not fall) as clear run.

5 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

My first trip apart from round Salt House Docks to Marina on winter moorings was up to Maghull. In a very bad storm steering a 12ft. 6 width 60ft wide beam was fun and games and control panel is a little tricky at first to reach so traveled at a slow pace.  It does not help that the Canal has not been dredged till past Litherland in recent History, hence Pride Of Sefton 2 and my Boat both had Carpet lodged round our propellers. As had to wind my self some CRT Dredging Boats. Waste Barges and Boat Cranes near Melling where canal breached.. And was stuck on the towpath bank and towed of by CRT contractors small tug.  Past Melling my Journey was very smooth got to grips with the boat and felt confident enough to whack the speed up a bit (not fall) as clear run.

It also wouldn't have helped that you chose to move it during a very bad storm. I often wonder why people decide to move their boats in such unfavourable conditions.

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I once looped the loop in Tixall Wide while towing an engineless boat. Can you still do that?

Yes but only on the horizontal plain. Its not as deep as you would need for a vertical. 

On 23/06/2019 at 17:48, blackrose said:

It also wouldn't have helped that you chose to move it during a very bad storm. I often wonder why people decide to move their boats in such unfavourable conditions.

That was CRT's decision not mine The Saturday I was due to leave I could not from Salthouse Docks so said Sunday. Storm did not start on the Sunday until I past the locks.  So not through choice :)

20 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

That was CRT's decision not mine The Saturday I was due to leave I could not from Salthouse Docks so said Sunday. Storm did not start on the Sunday until I past the locks.  So not through choice :)

But as C&RT state in their terms & conditions YOU are responsible for deciding if it is safe to move NOT C&RT

Quote :

"You are responsible for assessing whether it is safe to use the Waterway in flood or strong stream conditions. Our Waterway offices may be able to assist. The most recent flood warnings can be obtained from the Environment Agency, either on the internet at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ or by telephone on 0845 988 1188 (minicom 0845 602 6340)".

On 28/06/2019 at 09:16, Alan de Enfield said:

But as C&RT state in their terms & conditions YOU are responsible for deciding if it is safe to move NOT C&RT

Quote :

"You are responsible for assessing whether it is safe to use the Waterway in flood or strong stream conditions. Our Waterway offices may be able to assist. The most recent flood warnings can be obtained from the Environment Agency, either on the internet at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ or by telephone on 0845 988 1188 (minicom 0845 602 6340)".

Precisely. It was not CRT's decision to move Dawnrazor's boat in a storm. It's the skipper's responsibility to check weather conditions and the forecast and decide whether it's safe to move. It was his choice and when things go wrong one can't shift the blame to the waterway authority.

• Greenie 1