42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

Can I use a portable inverter to run a normal fridge? Buying both is a lot cheaper than buying a £500 fridge.

This one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00RV69O0I/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477581955&sr=8-4π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Inverter&dpPl=1&dpID=51hcXO1P5TL&ref=plSrch

You would need a more powerful inverter - it's not what the fridge consumes under normal running,, it's the power it needs to get the motor started, usually a lot more than the operating power. A decent inverter plus a 240v fridge is probably about the same cost as a 12v fridge you pays yer money...

Most folk who have 240v fridges already have a big inverter for other stuff already.

But as Robbo says, you have to solve the electricity generating problem first.

A lot of liveaboards will turn off the fridge in winter, storing stuff outside if nec or maybe in a "cool box" dunked in the canal.

Can I use a portable inverter to run a normal fridge? Buying both is a lot cheaper than buying a £500 fridge.

This one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00RV69O0I/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477581955&sr=8-4π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Inverter&dpPl=1&dpID=51hcXO1P5TL&ref=plSrch

We have 2 inverters, a 1800w Sterling & a 600w maplins job that cost £50 & a 240w under the counter fridge freezer, the small inverter runs the fridge & tv, charges tablets & phones etc, the 1800w is only used for my hairdryer (1100w cheap travel one) & the microwave.

ETA the maplins one isn't portable though, it did need fitting

Edited by Jamboat

This one

What is wrong with your current fridge?

My suggestion : Winters arriving . Its cold . Why run a fridge when you appear to be having charging problems & battery problems .

Nothing on your boat will cane your batteries faster than a 12v .fridge .Its entirely feasablw that you could get by without it ...... at least for now .

Buy a coldbox or whatever theyre called from wilko , put your food in it and put it out in the cold . Job done . One less headache

Next Spring once the solar is doing its thing and with 6 months more experience , 6 months more advice you can get the fridge situation sorted .

I dont a run a fridge in wintertime for the same reason i dont put my stove on in summertime .

Edited by chubby

My suggestion : Winters arriving . Its cold . Why run a fridge when you appear to be having charging problems & battery problems .

Nothing on your boat will cane your batteries faster than a 12v .fridge .Its entirely feasablw that you could get by without it ...... at least for now .

Buy a coldbox or whatever theyre called from wilko , put your food in it and put it out in the cold . Job done . One less headache

Next Spring once the solar is doing its thing and with 6 months more experience , 6 months more advice you can get the fridge situation sorted .

I dont a run a fridge in wintertime for the same reason i dont put my stove in summer

Not necessarily. Some of them are really very frugal.

Not necessarily. Some of them are really very frugal.

A frugal fridge can cane a battery if you don't have a decent charging regime, and they are usually the most power hungry device you can have on a boat (even the very frugal ones!)

Edited by Robbo

Ok ,

Point taken . In my experience and on my boat its the fridge thats the big consumer . Therefore i tailor my usage of it accordingly . In the summer when i need it and the sun is providing all the battery recharging the fridge runs - from Mid March till mid october .

As the season changes and it gets colder then i dont need it and dont need the hassle of recharging the batteries ( no hook up ) .

All u need is is a cool box - even as temporary fix . Get thru the winter and sort fridge later on . It appears that MissMax has heaps of issues on her boat and the budget is lumited so she needs to prioritise what to fix first .

In my opinion the fridge can wait as its getting colder each week . Careful food shopping can be done and negate the need for the fridge . Next winter when all is sorted then by all means do as you think best but for now , with so many pressing issues the fridge situation is one that can be put to bed for £10 and a trip to Wilko

cheers

Keys to when buying a fridge and installing.

Don't go bigger than you need.

The heat thing at the back needs ventilation, hot air rises so cold needs to enter from the bottom to a way out at the top.

Add extra insulation. This is often overlooked, but it can greatly improve the efficiency of the fridge.

Dont install next to your oven or stove!

If going down the 240v route, the choice of inverter is just as important.

Edited by Robbo

As a guiding principle the 80:20 rule can be used.

The actual figures may be 75:25, or even 90:10 but the 'guide' it gives you is still very valuable to assess the actions to be taken.

What are you talking about? Is the the amount of the times the toast lands jam side down?

Keys to when buying a fridge and installing.

Don't go bigger than you need.

The heat thing at the back needs ventilation, hot air rises so cold needs to enter from the bottom to a way out at the top.

Add extra insulation.

Dont install next to your oven or stove!

If going down the 240v route, the choice of inverter is just as important.

Regards the insulation, is it a good idea to insulate the sides with no air gap, just leave an air gap at the back with top ventilation?

What are you talking about? Is the the amount of the times the toast lands jam side down?

Sorry - I guess its one of those occasions when you assume that other folks know what you know.

The 80:20 rule is a 'management tool' used to identify potential courses of action - (bear in mind that the figures will be different)

80% of your business comes, from 20% of your customers

80% of your bad debts comes from 20% of your customers

80% of 'problems' comes from 20% of your members

80% of your electricity will be used by 20% of your appliances.

Identify which of the appliances are using 'most' of your electricity and find alternatives methods of either producing 'more' or using 'less'

The fridge &/or freezer will (normally) be the biggest continuous user of electricity on a boat, you may have a hairdryer / microwave / toaster that has a higher wattage, but it will only be in use for a few minutes, whilst a fridge is on 24/7.

A fridge will typically be 30-40Ah per day, whilst using a 1kw hairdryer for 6 minutes per day will be 'only' around 10Ah per day.

I would agree that a fridge is probably the biggest 'electrical drain' and will 'cane your batteries' (if you do not 'manage' the recharging correctly).

Regards the insulation, is it a good idea to insulate the sides with no air gap, just leave an air gap at the back with top ventilation?

Yes, also when insulating remember a lot of fridges have self defrost so it's important not to block this. If you can air entering from below from the bilge area will be good.

Sorry - I guess its one of those occasions when you assume that other folks know what you know.

The 80:20 rule is a 'management tool' used to identify potential courses of action - (bear in mind that the figures will be different)

80% of your business comes, from 20% of your customers

80% of your bad debts comes from 20% of your customers

80% of 'problems' comes from 20% of your members

80% of your electricity will be used by 20% of your appliances.

Identify which of the appliances are using 'most' of your electricity and find alternatives methods of either producing 'more' or using 'less'

The fridge &/or freezer will (normally) be the biggest continuous user of electricity on a boat, you may have a hairdryer / microwave / toaster that has a higher wattage, but it will only be in use for a few minutes, whilst a fridge is on 24/7.

A fridge will typically be 30-40Ah per day, whilst using a 1kw hairdryer for 6 minutes per day will be 'only' around 10Ah per day.

I would agree that a fridge is probably the biggest 'electrical drain' and will 'cane your batteries' (if you do not 'manage' the recharging correctly).

80% of the wisdom comes from 20% of the forum...

Miss max I am enjoying reading this topic and it's turning into a blog.

As said forget about the fridge for now. I'm on a Residential Marina Mooring with mains hook up and it's surprising how often my 15 year old 12 volt inlander fridge fires up.

I would love to buy a new 12 volt fridge and separate undercounter 12volt freezer but it's the cost!

Certainly invest in led lighting even if it's just the main lights that get used. I'd personally book into a Marina for winter and use the time to sort out all the issues. You would be more relaxed and have the time to sort out all items that need attention/ upgrading or repairs and easy access for trades etc .

I certainly wouldn't like to try repairing things miles from shops to buy diy items and lack of transport.

I certainly think your doing well, and you'll certainly get there with your boat.

Ps get some solar panels fitted by spring. they are really good and for winter a small genny to reduce using main engine, rather use genny as cheaper to chuck when it goes wrong than the engine. Also a smartguage to monitor battery usage etc.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

Miss max I am enjoying reading this topic and it's turning into a blog.

As said forget about the fridge for now. I'm on a Residential Marina Mooring with mains hook up and it's surprising how often my 15 year old 12 volt inlander fridge fires up.

I would love to buy a new 12 volt fridge and separate undercounter 12volt freezer but it's the cost!

Certainly invest in led lighting even if it's just the main lights that get used. I personally book into a Marina for winter and use the time to sort out all issues. You would be more relaxed and have the time to sort out all items that need attention/ upgrading or repairs.

I certainly wouldn't like to try repairing things miles from shops to buy diy items and lack of transport.

I certainly think your doing well, and you'll certainly get there with your boat.

Ps get some solar panels fitted by spring. they are really good and for winter a small genny to reduce using main engine wear. Also a smartguage to monitor battery usage etc.

Jamescheers.gif

We have been looking into them for our future liveaboard and yes they are expensive, the ones we are considering are about £570 for the 12v fridge and £590 for the 12v freezer. But they do use little power. According to the manufacturer the fridge will average about 0.8AH/hr.

http://www.shoreline-marine.co.uk/fridges/larder-fridges/larder-fridge-rl5010

We have been looking into them for our future liveaboard and yes they are expensive, the ones we are considering are about £570 for the 12v fridge and £590 for the 12v freezer. But they do use little power. According to the manufacturer the fridge will average about 0.8AH/hr.

http://www.shoreline-marine.co.uk/fridges/larder-fridges/larder-fridge-rl5010

Can't see how they get that figure at all.

Assuming the fridge runs for 8 hours in every 24, 0.8A/Hr suggests it's less than 30 watts. Even the smallest fridge will use 40w, most will use more.

Edited by Neil2

Can't see how they get that figure at all.

Assuming the fridge runs for 8 hours in every 24, 0.8A/Hr suggests it's less than 30 watts. Even the smallest fridge will use 40w, most will use more.

I have both a 12v under counter larder fridge and a 12v under counter freezer, both from Shoreline and they are frugal .

Phil

Trust me Stevehs I'm displaying something ( puts it back in its box and glues it down)

Why do you lot have to River Dance on my bright ideas :( I would have replied sooner but I needed to find something more absorbent than a cat ( farmer won't be impressed with the state of his cow tomorrow)

It's not often I have a Eureka moment, but I thought I had until you lot popped my lightbulb and chucked it in the recycling bin. I just wanted to eat proper food :(

Going back to Skipton in the morning ( not that anyone here cares ) it may take a while as gates that are supposed to be open (stupid map lied) are firmly closed and I have to to for tinkle breaks.

I hope you lot know you will never get a good nights sleep again ( tin of mushy peas under everyone's mattress). If a Bond villain can get mega silly electricity inside a underground volcano Shirley I can get some on a boat ( bet Bond villains can leave the fridge on 24/7)

I'm not sulking... I'm not having a strop... I've emptied my Amazon basket and I am now just sitting here....slowly rocking back and fourth....plotting

• Greenie 2