Hands on experience, please

Chrispty

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I would very much like to experience life on a narrowboat and if someone would offer their time to show me what life is like on the water, I would be most grateful, even if it is just for a day. I am considering moving onto a narrowboat for an extended time, but need some hands-on experience before I can decide whether I want to make such a dramatic leap. I live in Cambridge.

Thanks in advance

Have you considered hiring one? I think that's how many (most?) of us got our early taste of narrowboats.

Yes, I have, but apart from the difficulty of finding a second person (which the hiring companies seem to require), I would like to have someone I could ask questions to and just observe how they live in general.

My advice would be to find a community boat to get involved with. That will have many benefits, not least getting you on the water and handling a boat. FTS or Black ibis should be able to give you some info regarding the nearest community boats to Cambridge.

My advice would be to find a community boat to get involved with. That will have many benefits, not least getting you on the water and handling a boat. FTS or Black ibis should be able to give you some info regarding the nearest community boats to Cambridge.

Community boats! I have not heard of these, but sounds like a great idea.

Community boats! I have not heard of these, but sounds like a great idea.

Try the National Community Boat Association.

http://www.national-cba.co.uk/

Here is their web site. Under "members" there is a list of community boat organisations, listed geographically.

Howard

Edited by howardang

Could also consider a hotel boat. There are hotel narrowboats where you get to muck in and I'm sure the crew wouldn't mind talking about the way of life on canals and all things boaty.

Yeah I'd have a look at http://www.wanderingduck.co.uk or see if Paul has any discovery days left/still running https://livingonanarrowboat.leadpages.net/narrowboat-discovery-day/

There is a single hander up here on the River Great Ouse at the moment, I'm hooking up with him this week. Sadly he has been banned from this site so won't be reading this, however I shall have a word with him

Phil

Nice one phil - will be ironic if a banned member steps in to help the forum member - this is all the guy needs a little help to get his mind in order and see the realistic side of the Calal life.

There is a single hander up here on the River Great Ouse at the moment, I'm hooking up with him this week. Sadly he has been banned from this site so won't be reading this, however I shall have a word with him

Phil

Thank you, this would be much appreciated!

Edited by Chrispty

I hope to shortly be moving my boat from near Rugby to Ely. You would be welcome to come along for part of that if that would suit?

I am quite interested in this suggestion, but I am unsure about where I would have to meet up. As I recall the waterways go from Rugby to Ely and then down to Cambridge, which means either you'll pick me up at Ely or drop me off at Ely?

I also saw that you're selling your narrowboat, with mooring in Oxford. I used to live around those parts and wouldn't mind living there again, albeit on a boat. Is it still for sale?

Nice one phil - will be ironic if a banned member steps in to help the forum member - this is all the guy needs a little help to get his mind in order and see the realistic side of the Calal life.

Just as long as the banned person hasn't been banned for anything seriously anti-social, like killing and eating passengers, drowning gongoozlers, excessive flatulence or anything like that...

Perhaps the OP should be warned.

Just as long as the banned person hasn't been banned for anything seriously anti-social, like killing and eating passengers, drowning gongoozlers, excessive flatulence or anything like that...

I must admit that I'm curious what this guy got banned for.

I'd assume get a train to somewhere enroute and then join? Maybe Peterborough? I'd have to drop you off at Ely most likely.

The boat in Oxford is still for sale.

Thanks! I'll send you a PM so you don't have to share your itinerary with the whole world.

You lot must have had blinkers on for the last couple of months, a considerable number of members got banned or ended up with warning points, for minor infringements' , the moderation reached silly levels, I for example got to warning points for replying to a post which was in German, my post was likewise and included a German expletive associated with a noisy weather event, the reason given wad because when translated into English it included part of the name of another forum which cannot be mentioned (for fear of bring banned)

Many of the banned members were longstanding of many years membership. It's not just members that disappear but posts and whole threads.

If I don't post again it's because I have been banned for posting this.

Phil

You lot must have had blinkers on for the last couple of months, a considerable number of members got banned or ended up with warning points, for minor infringements' , the moderation reached silly levels, I for example got to warning points for replying to a post which was in German, my post was likewise and included a German expletive associated with a noisy weather event, the reason given wad because when translated into English it included part of the name of another forum which cannot be mentioned (for fear of bring banned)

Many of the banned members were longstanding of many years membership. It's not just members that disappear but posts and whole threads.

If I don't post again it's because I have been banned for posting this.

Phil

On that basis - I suppose we must be careful not to mention certain types of kebab....