Rifle on the roof

Moley

Featured Posts

Yes, you read that correctly, I met a boater at the weekend who had a telescopic-sighted .22 air rifle in case of bandits, in full view, on the roof alongside his sliding hatch.

How many ‘have a friend’ who has a gun onboard, how many are that paranoid about bandits, and who would condone such a deterrent?

Personally, I carry a camera but have never had to use it, and wave to or smile at yoofs on bridges.

Yes, you read that correctly, I met a boater at the weekend who had a telescopic-sighted .22 air rifle in case of bandits, in full view, on the roof alongside his sliding hatch.

How many ‘have a friend’ who has a gun onboard, how many are that paranoid about bandits, and who would condone such a deterrent?

Personally, I carry a camera but have never had to use it, and wave to or smile at yoofs on bridges.

I think having ang type of gun in view and if it ws ever to be used would leave you open to prosecution,if yobs are a problem maybe the best thing to throw at them would ne a few tins of lager and smile.

If this person really does carry a weapon like that for use against "bandits", then he is a dangerous fool and needs to be stopped. I cannot say I don't understand, but if he hits some kid with this, then all the coppers too busy with higher priorities will suddenly become available and he WILL go to jail.

As much as we all get wound up about the stupid behaviour of some kids, we were all kids once and never appreciated the outcome of our antics.

Once you become a parent you realise how precious your kids are and whilst every goose is a swan nothing would forgive some renegade taking an eye out or worse of mine.

That doesn't excuse their behaviour which many parents appear to think is everyones responsibility except those who did the conceiving in the first place.

Carrying a gun is utterly unforgivable, what next shooting drink drivers, shoplifters etc etc

I have a .22 rifle on board at all times but nothing to do with bandits (we dont get that kind of excitment) we just have loads of problems with Mink

And they dont like it up em captain sir

I have been known to have an air rifle on the boat but would never dream of shooting at a living creature (not even yobs or hoodies). I just like occasionally to sink pop bottles and things. You must be careful too only to shoot into deep water out of the reach of ducks and swans.

I have been known to have an air rifle on the boat but would never dream of shooting at a living creature (not even yobs or hoodies). I just like occasionally to sink pop bottles and things. You must be careful too only to shoot into deep water out of the reach of ducks and swans.

But shooting lead pellets into water cannnot be good for animals or birds to pick up and eat.

I have a .22 rifle on board at all times but nothing to do with bandits (we dont get that kind of excitment) we just have loads of problems with Mink

And they dont like it up em captain sir

It is an offence to discharge any firearm or air weapon on BW waterways.

It is an offence to discharge any firearm or air weapon on BW waterways.

I thought I'd seen that somewhere, but couldn't find any mention in the rules or terms I've got. Where is it?

I thought I'd seen that somewhere, but couldn't find any mention in the rules or terms I've got. Where is it?

I thought it was covered under the general firearms act that you couldn't use an air rifle within 50ft of a public highway or navigation?

anyone arseing around with any sort of firearm in general view deserves everything they get (prolly shot by a police 'marksman')

Edited by tomsk

anyone arseing around with any sort of firearm in general view deserves everything they get (prolly shot by a police 'marksman')

Quite Right! I like the idea of the water cannon, though ...

British Waterways Bye-Law 46

No Person shall throw, shoot or otherwise propel any stone, bullet, shot or other missile from, into or over any vessel or canal

£100 fine for breach.

In addition;

1) It is an offence to have a loaded weapon in a public place (and a canal is a public place)

2) It is an offence to fire a weapon without the permission of the landowner.

mayalld, thanks for that.

So, does it mention water cannon anywhere? :rolleyes:

One suspects that the draftsmen hadn't considered that possibility!

Howevr, they are fairly loosley worded, so;

15) No person shall use any pole, boat hook or other instrument in such a manner as to cause injury to any person or damage to any property.

Bye-law 41b would also apply if you used canal water in your cannon

One suspects that the draftsmen hadn't considered that possibility!

Howevr, they are fairly loosley worded, so;

15) No person shall use any pole, boat hook or other instrument in such a manner as to cause injury to any person or damage to any property.

Bye-law 41b would also apply if you used canal water in your cannon

Would soaking somebody with canal water cause injury or damage their property? Possibly, but it could be tricky to prove.

Personally, whilst I've never experienced bandits whilst I've been on a boat, I've read plenty of other people's accounts, and the idea of a water cannon seems reasonable to me. I'd be tempted to refer to it as a 'fire pump' though, as that's a reasonable item of equipment for a pleasure boat to have on board, whereas a water cannon may not be.