Leeds to Liverpool Canal ?

ELIMINATOR

Featured Posts

Good Evening, I am new to the site and the canal's, I am going to look at a 22ft Corsair tomorrow morning up near East Marton, Skipton

I Live in Liverpool and never done more than hiring a narrow boat for 1 day every year to take the family out.

I need to know a few things before I buy...

1. Is is possible to go by boat along the leeds liverpool canal from Skipton to Liverpool, as if so how long should it take ? (approx)

2. How much are the boat fees for a 22ft boat ?

3. Anyone know of any moorings around the Burscough area ?

4. Worst case scenario, would anyone be prepared to get it to Liverpool for me and if so at what cost please ?

Regards

Mark

Good Evening, I am new to the site and the canal's, I am going to look at a 22ft Corsair tomorrow morning up near East Marton, Skipton

I Live in Liverpool and never done more than hiring a narrow boat for 1 day every year to take the family out.

I need to know a few things before I buy...

1. Is is possible to go by boat along the leeds liverpool canal from Skipton to Liverpool, as if so how long should it take ? (approx) We did it in a week in similar sized boat.

2. How much are the boat fees for a 22ft boat ? CRT website for details.

3. Anyone know of any moorings around the Burscough area ? Both visitor and long term CRT at burscough. Also marina moorings at Rufford and Scarasbrick.

4. Worst case scenario, would anyone be prepared to get it to Liverpool for me and if so at what cost please ? Can't help sorry.

Regards

Mark

I have just Googled a Corsair 22 and if what I found is the boat in question it may be far easier to stick it on a trailer.

It seems to have an outdrive with a drive down draft of over 910mm (say 3 ft) and would not like to risk that in some places on that canal. We struggled with a 20" stern post cruiser.

I also think it may be a pig to steer at canal speed and will zig-zag all the way.

Then there is a question about how a "Phylis type" engine will take to days at not much over idle.

Hope I have the wrong boat.

I have just Googled a Corsair 22 and if what I found is the boat in question it may be far easier to stick it on a trailer.

It seems to have an outdrive with a drive down draft of over 910mm (say 3 ft) and would not like to risk that in some places on that canal. We struggled with a 20" stern post cruiser.

I also think it may be a pig to steer at canal speed and will zig-zag all the way.

Then there is a question about how a "Phylis type" engine will take to days at not much over idle.

Hope I have the wrong boat.

If not, better to draw the OP's attention to these issues now rather than after he's bought it! If he wants a boat suitable for the canals and this one isn't, he needs to know that.

Thanks everyone for the replies, some great information for me there, but I think I still have a lot to learn.

I went to see the boat in question today and it does need a lot of restoration work (mostly inside) but it is dry. I don't know what it originally powered it, but the chap I am getting it off has given me an old Honda 9.9hp outboard, he said that is what he used on it. it is missing the engine cover as he said he lost it in a lock and could not retrieve it. So i will be looking for a second hand cover on ebay once I have had the engine running. He has also arranged road transport for me from Skipton to a pub called the slipway in Burscough (which has a slipway) as that is a much better area than were I live. I also have family live round there and could check on it for me.

I have brought the engine home with me so I can take it to my workshop tomorrow and check it out and service it.

So fingers crossed I will be getting it delivered on 31st, then I can start work on it, and hopefully take it for a few days out before it gets too cold.

No doubt I will be asking a lot of questions in the next few weeks, so sorry in advance, but many thanks to all who reply.

regards

Mark

14054247_10208381886879673_7523882893580

14045594_10208374176086908_3074746870427