Cutting out after cold start

David Mutch

Featured Posts

My boat had the same symptoms where when the fuel level got below a certain level all ceased to function. The fuel pump lever was stiff and wouldn't return to allow any length of stroke.

Rather than messing with any repair I got one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMC-Leyland-Sherpa-Diesel-Lift-Pump-HFP176-7971139-/331945084717

As Tony has said, make sure the lever sits on top of the cam. There will be some force from the internal spring holding the pump away from the block. If not then its been fitted under. It's pretty obvious once you know.

​Thanks Tony. Well...this is a bit embarrassing...but it would appear that the problem has nothing to do with the lift pump after all. It turns out that that missing spring from the stop cable is the cause of the cutting out. After the engine refused to start at all yesterday, I checked to make sure that the stop cable hadn't become detached, leaving the arm in the 'stop' position. It hadn't, but it had slipped a little in its bracket, so that it wasn't quite pushing the arm all the way down. So, I pushed the arm all the way down, and the engine now starts with no problems. I also tried starting it a few times with the arm a couple of millimetres from its full travel, and got exactly the same problem. It's obviously been working its way out of its bracket for some time and so gradually increasing the amount the stop arm stays up by. So, now I just need to get a new spring. Sorry to waste all your time by not checking the obvious first. Nonetheless, this thread has not been for nothing, as I still belive my anti-stall is set wrong, thus not allowing me to achieve a slow tick-over, and at least I know what to look out for if my lift pump does go in the future. Thanks once again everybody!