First attempt to post a picture of Betty

IanBetty

Featured Posts

I think you will find that is the "Richard" another "Runcorn" boat originally owned by Charlie and Marjorie Aldrick and resident in Gas St for many years.

Thanks Laurence. I thought someone would know. Not sure when the picture was taken but I would guess late 70s.

Thanks Laurence. I thought someone would know. Not sure when the picture was taken but I would guess late 70s.

I certainly remember Charlie and Marj living on RICHARD at Hockley Port in the mid 1970's, and I am pretty sure it was still there in 1978. Charlie Aldrick had bought RICHARD in September 1964, but the hull dates to 1913 captain.gif

• Greenie 1

Doggy boat behind it! I wouldnt trust anyone with a boat that looks like that! (Fingers x david isnt on here,) i love some of these old photos got loads of towy, dane, leam and umea

Edited by billybobbooth

Archie is quite likely right. That was certainly the name it was known by in Gas St where the photo was taken. 'Richard' still had a butty rear end and was occasionally seen around at the same time. I believe 'Loretto' was towed to the Brickworks Arm near Dudley Port and buried. It was a relation of 'Betty'.

I always thought that this was the "Loretto" - could ring that number and ask!

You do not need to 'ring that number and ask' as I have the answer.

LORETTO was advertised for sale in Waterways World October 1978 page 90 as a sunken boat laying at Birmingham. The phone number was given as 021 476 2155 - so 10 out of 10 as you are correct captain.gif

You do not need to 'ring that number and ask' as I have the answer.

LORETTO was advertised for sale in Waterways World October 1978 page 90 as a sunken boat laying at Birmingham. The phone number was given as 021 476 2155 - so 10 out of 10 as you are correct captain.gif

1978 would work out perfectly with my estimated date of the photograph.

ETA - I'm gong to make an educated guess based on other pics of the same trip and say it was taken around Christmas 1978.

Edited by Speedwheel