Your first winter

MissMax

Featured Posts

We have a "prop protector" on DQ. It is a sort of circular saw blade clamped to the propshaft.

In the 2 years we have had her I have only been down the weed hatch once, soon after we got her. I stopped to let a boat through a bridge and when I started off again it was clear something substantial was around the prop, as the engine was labouting, black smoke was pouring out of the exhaust and I couldn't steer.

I limped through the bridge and pulled up, opened the weed hatch and found...

nothing!

The lesson learnt was to give the prop protector time to do its job before rushing down the weedhatch.

It's either much easier to keep warmer than expected OR we only have hardcore boaters responding OR the people who would provide a counter view point froze to death first time out! wink.png

The inside airspace of a boat is much smaller so there is actually a lot less air to heat than a normal house. And every house I have lived in as been draughty anyways so I wont be worse off there!

On our first winter we were so hot we had all doors and windows open in the snow. We are much better at managing the fire now and only have the windows open for ventilation. Don't mind the cold - hate the mud!

1. Insulate.

2. Ventilate.

3. Have at least two different ways of heating your boat.

Consider layout too. An open plan boat will let heat circulate better. A centrally located stove will avoid there being a cold end and a hot end. It's relatively easy to make a boat be boiling hot or freezing cold. The trick which takes time to master is just keeping it comfortable.

• Greenie 1

I have heating via the diesel powered eberspacher and also via a multi fuel stove. It can be very warm and cosy, so much so that it's not unheard of to have the doors wide open even during freezing temperatures.

That said it can be quite cold until you've got the heating going! For many, it's not quite like living in a house with central heating on a nice convienient timer.

Hate the mud also . Buy a simmer pad , sometimes called a heat distributer for the gas hob , best one sold by lakeland , dark blue hexagon with dimples. Great for casseroles, stews , potatoes, rice ect . Keeps the food just on the simmer , which means very little condensation . Just put it on the gas, turn down low , then your saucepan on it .... and simmer . Agree with ventilation, heat and dehumidifier. Must admit if we are on electric I have a weakness for my electric blanket, if not on shore power its a hot water bottle.... or two . Just like to snuggle my feet and back . Big slippers and thick socks, have cold feet in the boat or a house . We house sat last winter , even with a log fire and central heating it was colder than our boat , but no mud Bunny .

Pond gloves help with the weed hatch.

We burn smokeless coal on our multi fuel stove, available from passing coal boats and most marinas. We keep the fire in 24/7 and use about 40kg a week. A 25kg bag costs around £10 to £11.

Hot water comes from the engine or the diesel central heating or the mains electricity if we're hooked up. It's good to be hooked up in the winter.

Keep the diesel tank full to prevent condensation in the tank and keep a good check on the weather forcasts. If freezing temps are on the way fill the water tank and empty the toilet tank before you get iced in.

Oh! And get a heat powered fan on top of the stove.

Edited by Alway Swilby

A few tips..Get yourself some cosy slippers to wear about the boat and best of all fleece sheets for your bed, fleece PJs too. You can have frost inside on the windows in the morning but still be cosy and warm if the fire goes out. My fleeces are made by Cosy Home.

Fleece pjs, slipper boots, fire, and whiskey kept me warm all winter.

Seriously, I think our boat is very well insulated because it doesn't really get THAT cold. Infact, getting over excited about lighting the fire often meant it was pushing 40 degrees on the boat and we'd have to keep the doors open.

Fleece pjs, slipper boots, fire, and whiskey kept me warm all winter.

Seriously, I think our boat is very well insulated because it doesn't really get THAT cold. Infact, getting over excited about lighting the fire often meant it was pushing 40 degrees on the boat and we'd have to keep the doors open.

Can i replace the Whiskey with Babycham (tastes nicer)

I have heating via the diesel powered eberspacher and also via a multi fuel stove. It can be very warm and cosy, so much so that it's not unheard of to have the doors wide open even during freezing temperatures.

That said it can be quite cold until you've got the heating going! For many, it's not quite like living in a house with central heating on a nice convienient timer.

Ive got the Webasto with the Thermocall upgrade so you can text it to come on and check the temperature etc. It is one of the best upgrades I did to the boat after I got it.

Rayburn Royal for me keeps water hot rads warm and me toasty and food well cooked! I also have the whispergen which gets the rads superhot!! twice a day and tops up my batteries If bedroom cold I have an oil fired bubble stove which warms up bedroom fast. Winter cruises water from engine heats water and rads so boat very toast without any other heating on great

I've found the number of people who need to open doors to prevent themselves bursting into flame in this thread hugley encouraging!

Getting the stove to stay warm all night is also key if that is your only source of heating and it's solid fuel. Quite a few boaters have cold mornings in winter! It's one of the main plus points with a drip fed stove as you don't have to manually feed it.

Getting the stove to stay warm all night is also key if that is your only source of heating and it's solid fuel. Quite a few boaters have cold mornings in winter! It's one of the main plus points with a drip fed stove as you don't have to manually feed it.

Having had coal fired stoves on our 2 shareboats, and now a drip feed oil stove on my own boat, I think the best feature of the drip feed stove is its controllability and that it will turn off in minutes, rather than an hour or three!

Great thread, thanks :)

This will be my first winter too but I do think that I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to the cold - it does mean that I layer up well lol

I do have a multi-fuel stove (had my first light of it last night, thanks again John :) ) but I've also brought my cabinet heater from my flat which is for getting dressed in front of on a chilly morning so am guessing I'll be plenty warm so am looking forward to opening my windows but will probably keep my onesie on!!! ;)

Great thread, thanks :)

This will be my first winter too but I do think that I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to the cold - it does mean that I layer up well lol

I do have a multi-fuel stove (had my first light of it last night, thanks again John :) ) but I've also brought my cabinet heater from my flat which is for getting dressed in front of on a chilly morning so am guessing I'll be plenty warm so am looking forward to opening my windows but will probably keep my onesie on!!! ;)

If by cabinet heater you mean a gas powered one with a cylinder inside it I urge you to get it off the boat ASAP!

Not only do they produce vast amounts of water vapour they also don't comply with any of the boat safety regs...being an unflued appliance and having a gas cylinder not in a dedicated compartment that can drain any gas leaks over board....so you either die of CO poisoning or you get blown up.....and more to the point I don't want to be the boat next to you when either happens!

Cheers

Gareth

It doesn't take much savvy to keep a S/F fire in overnight. I've had a drip feed and a S/F fire and find them on a par, oh and have to say have never had a cold morning, never had frost on the window and in fact never been cold in the boat. Only ever wear T shirts and only ever have a 4 tog duvet on the bed.

Phil