Heading up the Teme from the Severn

Dave_P

Featured Posts

if you do manage to get up the Teme you will only get as far as Powick weir which is near the chimney you can see which was

the first commercial hydroelectric power station to be built in Britain in 1894.

The Ludlow weirs were navigation Flash Lock weirs until the railways came to the Teme valley. Sailing Trows from the Severn worked up

the river with wheat for the mills from Gloucester returning with flour for the villages and iron bar from Downton for blacksmiths downstream.

An 1820's painting shows the old Dinham Bridge with four square rigged trows unloading at Dinham Mill now Mr Underwoods lovely restaurant

and other trows at the opposite bank and under full sail up to the Downton Gorge.

It's about a mile up to Powick though, right? Has anyone tried it recently in a boat bigger than a canoe?

Come on Dave, give it a go! What's all this need to research beforehand? Next thing you know people will be asking where they can more on the T&M or where there are supermarkets handy for the cut! wink.pnglaugh.png

A few people tried in the 70's, same idea as you. I was too young for such adventures but I recall the correspondence. One complained they struggled to turn but as they were in a 65 foot narrow boat that's not all that surprising.

I've never done it, but in similar spirrit of adventure I took a 27 foot Elysian up the Swale from the Yorkshire Ouse for quite a way before the current got a tad scary, and took at 62 foot narrow boat to within about a mile of Bewdley

Com

Come on Dave, give it a go! What's all this need to research beforehand? Next thing you know people will be asking where they can more on the T&M or where there are supermarkets handy for the cut! wink.pnglaugh.png

A few people tried in the 70's, same idea as you. I was too young for such adventures but I recall the correspondence. One complained they struggled to turn but as they were in a 65 foot narrow boat that's not all that surprising.

I've never done it, but in similar spirrit of adventure I took a 27 foot Elysian up the Swale from the Yorkshire Ouse for quite a way before the current got a tad scary, and took at 62 foot narrow boat to within about a mile of Bewdley

Com

I am fully chastised. I may have to poke my nose up there and see what happens.

We have taken Fulbourne, 71 ft 6 in long and 3 ft draft up the Thames some way beyond the Thames and Severn junction at Inglesham, and similarly about 3 miles above Bedford on the Great Ouse. Tried the Avon a couple of years ago and got beyond the marked last turning point but not up to Alveston weir. But some 20 years ago I touched Alveston Weir in a Bidford Boats hire boat, and on another trip we went up the Salwarpe to beyond the boatyard by the A449 bridge and most of the way round the mobile home park beyond (that's equivalent to past the 2 bottom locks of the Droitwich Canal).