first timer panic

thewomble

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I have booked a week's hire from the Chirk marina at the end of August for a family trip. We are a family of 4 visiting from Australia. We have never been in this area of Wales so have no idea what is there.

I am starting to panic about how to go about planning the trip. Obviously we will need to take our supplies, but will presumably need to stock up during the journey - 2 kids aged 9 and 12 eat A LOT! and there must be limited space for storing fresh food on the boat.

And without knowing what the weather will be like, it is impossible to estimate how far we will be able to travel, so how do I go about working out where we will be able to turn around etc.

We plan to start at Chirk and head first to Llangollen, then turn around return through Chirk and go as far as we comfortably can towards Hurlestone before it is time to turn around. We plan to be mostly cruising rather than allowing stopping time to sight see in towns along the way. We are doing plenty of sightseeing on the rest our trip, this bit is all about being on the boat. But obviously we can't cruise all day and there will be a need to stop and find a supermarket at least once!

I have tried using the canal planner here: http://canalplan.org.uk/

which is really helpful, but of course what happens if things don't go to plan? What if the weather is really wet and we can't cruise as much as we expect to? How do you plan for the unexpected?

Can anyone give me some guidance as to what sort of planning I need to be doing and how to go about doing it? As we are already travelling, I am constantly on the go with planning our days and keeping up with school work for the kids, so I have limited time to devote to this and it is starting to freak me out.

Any advice on crusing the Llangollen would be most gratefully received.

Thanks

Edited to add - we are currently staying in a house on the Stratford canal and have had a lot of practise opening and closing the locks here. Obviously this isn't the same as taking a boat through one, but is a little bit of experience under our belts, so we are keen to experience going through the locks. I understand that there are only 4 locks until after you pass Whitchurch, so we would like to get past Whitchurch if possible, even if this means turning around at Trevor (crossing the Pontcysyllte aqueduct is a must). We can visit Llangollen without the boat another time.

Edited by thewomble

You can shop in ellesmere as the supermarket is canal side up a short branch,and restock in llangolen also

I would go chirk to llangollen take 2 days say then spend a couple of days there as theres a steam train,and horse drawn boat trip to the falls etc etc then back chirk 6 days

If it helps you - this is an out and back trip, which is the easiest of all to plan. Set off with a destination in mind. If you find you are travelling faster than you thought, go further. If slower, turn around sooner

And enjoy yourself - it's a holiday!*

Richard

*With the extreme danger of you ending up owning a boat

Some hire companies can arrange for shopping to be delivered to your boat prior to setting off, if you send them a list. Have a word with your Hire company to see if they can help.

There are plenty of good shops in Chirk within walking distance of the canal from moorings at either end of the Tunnel. The butchers are particularly good (I think the name is McArdles). If you get to Llangollen basin there is a small grocery shop quite close to the basin but all the shops you could wish for in the town itself which is only a short walk away. If you decide to spend a couple of days in Llangollen I don't think you will have time to go to Ellesmere but if you do, the Supermarket is very close to the canal arm and the town is only a very short walk with plenty of shops.

Whichever direction you choose I am sure that you and the family will really enjoy it.

Have a great holiday

Howard

If you find you are travelling faster than you thought, go further. If slower, turn around sooner

See, the sensible side of me can see this is really good advice but I am having a bad day and I am in a panic.

How do I work out how far I can reasonably expect to go? Some people say you can do the whole of the Llangollen and return in a week, some people say we should only go as far as Whitchurch. So how do I plan a destination? And (bearing in mind I am a total newbie and have no idea what I am doing AND I am panicking...) what if I am travelling slower than I thought and need to turn around, but there is nowhere to turn around?

We certainly don't want to just go from Chirk to Llangollen and back, this is a cruising holiday. We are spending plenty of time on land when we don't have a hire boat. We can see the sights of Llangollen some other time.

I predict that by the time you get past Trevor (and the Pontcsysllte aqueduct) you will be so chilled that panic and the need to keep moving will have left you, though the one way parts of the canal into Llangollen may make you worry a bit. Hint, send a crew member on ahead to see who is coming down the canal towards you. Then once in Llangollen, just chill and enjoy a ride on a steam train.

I reckon a crew of four. Two and two.

My advice like Richards and others is to set off enjoy and turn around after,say,three days. Don't forget about the tide being against you.

I've not done the Llangollen so can't advise, but the above rules apply no matter what. Oh! And there's not tide to contend with. Just a flow.

If you leave Chirk and head for Llangollen, which you could do in half a day, you can then decide whether you want to boat every minute of day light or take a leisurely cruise with stops for lunch. When you pass Chirk marina on the way back you will then know how many days you have left, keep going until you reach the mid point and turn round and head back. Pick up a guide book from the marina and this will show local shops and where you can turn round so each night decide how far to go the next day remembering to allow a bit of time to go shopping if supplies are required. The one thing on a canal holiday is you don't have to plan to get to a certain point other than a winding hole to turn the boat when you have to head back.

Most importantly relax and enjoy.

It's great that you're planning ahead, but one of the attractions of the canals is that the journey is part of the enjoyment--you will find peaceful moorings in the most unexpected places, don't try to be too rigid in what you do while having a flexible plan that may not last past the first day.

If you search llangollen on this site you will find plenty of advice on exactly the trip you propose to make. Just a few thoughts:-

Get a map book now--essential if you have never travelled an area before[i like Nicholsons books--4 counties and Welsh canals covers your route]. It will show you where you can wind[turn around], pubs, towns,locks etc. Also, there are some very narrow sections as you approach Llangollen that you need to be aware of

If you take suitcases empty them on the boat and leave in your car--alternatively use the large grocery bags which take up no space on the boat.

Aim to be near the boatyard for dinnertime on the day you collect the boat--traffic jams on motorways can be bad going into North Wales at this time of year. Why not set the sat nav for Trevor and have a meal at the Telford pub, walk the poncy wotsit aquaduct at dinner time before making the short drive to Chirk

Remember that this is probably the most popular canal holiday destination--moorings in August will fill up early so aim to set off early and if you want to stop at a particular spot be prepared to stop early.

The route you have chosen is not particularly heavily locked--ensure you have at least one good set of waterproof clothes for the steerer who may be stuck on the stern in a downpour[the marina will provide some that may fit, but you'd be better with your own that do]--don't forget waterproof boots and gloves, even a scarf if the rain is driving in your face can help.

I think you'll find ellesmere is ideal for your shopping requirements--Buy a weeks worth of tins/bottles to take with you and fresh stuff for 3 days, you will be able to top up at Ellesmere.

Have something for the kids to do if it rains--If you have a Black Prince boat they are 12v but may have a small inverter--if not there are car adaptors that will allow you to charge your phone/ipad/ipad/kindle but you would be well advised to ring the marina to find out how your boat is equipped

It is a great experience--one the children will remember all their lives. Just make sure that they are aware of the potential dangers [especially around locks] and they will have a great time

The boatyard will give you instruction on steering your boat--you already have an idea as to how to work a lock. I'd ask them to explain how to wind and how to reverse in a straight line--it's a skill you may not master but can be useful for when you meet another boat at a bridge/bend

Overall, just relax and enjoy it

I'm sure you'll be fine. Even if it's raining you just carry on! A good set of waterproofs and a wide brimmed hat or sou'wester will keep the steerer dry. Estimate 3mph and about twenty minutes per lock. Allow a bit for delays. Try and moor each night near some amenities. Shops, pub etc. The map books mentioned are by Pearsons or Nicholsons but, surely, the hire company will provide these as they about £10 each - do ask them if they supply maps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Welsh-Waters-Shropshire-Llangollen-Montgomery/dp/0992849225/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470068370&sr=1-12&keywords=canals+map

As a general rule the plan will unfold so long as you have a guide book: you can shop more places than you might imagine, certainly on this route I find it difficult to imagine you will go all day and not encounter a village or town with a shop. Langollen, Trevor, Chirk, Ellesmere, Whitchurch... not exactly the great beyond

Go over ponty first, as it would be a shame to miss it by misjudging the other leg of your journey, but when you go downstream remember that the current is significant on this canal, you WILL be slower back. I'd hazard a guess at 3mph downstream and 2mph upstream

You'll be fine. You have chosen a stunningly beautiful part of the country. From Chirk, the trip to Llangollen is about half a day each way, and is not to be missed. It's worth taking a day out in Llangollen, the steam railway is worth a ride, horse drawn boat trips, etc. Going the other way, Ellesmere is about a day, Whitchurch about another day. BUT, there are only two locks (and a few lift bridges) on that whole length, so there isn't a great deal for the crew to do. You could go further, next sensible destination is probably Wrenbury, and that section is heavily locked, but you risk running out of time, and personally I'd rather forego a trip to Wrenbury than the trip to Llangollen.

Your other option is a quick trip down onto the Montgomery, but you'd need to plan carefully as you have to book passage through Frankton locks.

For shopping, Ellesmere is by far the easiest for a bulk shop, the big Tesco is right by the end of the arm.

Have a play with the route planner at http://canalplan.eu

You could make life a bit easier for yourself if you moor up in Trevor once you've crossed the Pontcysylle Aqueduct and take the easy walk along the towpath to Llangollen. The canal between the two is shallow and narrow and there are some long single track stretches where there are frequent snarl ups with boaters struggling to pass one another. We did that walk in May or June and got there quicker than boats who set off at the same time, having passed just such a snarl up (I've a feeling they could all still be there!). There's a frequent bus service back to Trevor in case the kids start whinging or it rains.