Horse drawn boats

Expo

Featured Posts

We are actively looking to acquire a share in a boat, have viewed a couple already and will be viewing a couple more next weekend. The boats all have adequate and efficient engines, but I am moved to wonder about something.

I also own a chunky and very strong horse. I'm not planning to put him to harness to tow a boat, but, if I were, would it be possible nowadays to use the tow paths for their originally intended purpose (towing with a horse!) or are they too obstructed by obstacles, fishermen, moored craft and other impediments to make such a thing impossible or impractical? Might be nice to see a few equines plodding along the tow-paths ...

Interesting question. My grandad mentioned a couple of years ago having seen one pulling a boat.

Personally I think it would be great to see them more often.

You need a long pole to lift the rope over boats.

Do-able the infrastructure is still in place.

Impractable, due to obstructions, weeds/trees/moored boats/fishermen,etc.

Though a high speed cyclist, being confronted by Dobbin could be interesting.

Bod

I would think it would depend on what part of the system you planned on using, apart from the stated hazards in a lot of places you would possibly spend a fair amount of time getting your horse out of the cut due to the towpath state

Isnt there one up on the llangollen?

Yes there is a horse drawn trip boat business which takes you from Llangollen up the feeder towards Horse Falls, a section deemed not navigable for normal canal boats.

Also one on bottom end of Montgomery. Went on it a couple of weeks ago.

I must hang my head in shame. We are on the Wey at Godalming. First offence, having a pram hood. Second offence having it erected. Third offence, not reading fully the advisory leaflet.

Just been severely admonished by the horse drawn trip boat lady for the erection on my roof.

Been there, tried to do it.

I had an Irish Draught horse (a failed show jumper as it happened) and had him "broken to harness" - at which he was as happy as a sand boy.

As I had (mostly) all the right kit I asked if I could use him on the Shroppie. BW area manager said "No, canals are not suitable for horses" !Duh!.

I think he was thinking of towlines and passing moored boats.

But his answer was unequivocal - not suitable for horses. No discussion - go away.

Methinks he wasn't experienced enough to know that canals had been designed around ponies / horses in the first place....

Poo. Never mind we had many years driving around the Sussex countryside in a cart - and the Department of Transport never complained....

I asked if I could use him on the Shroppie. BW area manager said "No, canals are not suitable for horses" !Duh!.

Having read the CRT "Better towpaths for everybody" they claim (Para 1)"The Trust also upholds the tradition of horse boating on the network where there is an opportunity and demand for it."

Also

Page 4 point 6. "where designated as a bridleway, or as a permissive route, towpaths are also available for horse riding.

No mention of needing special permission or anything like that.

I must hang my head in shame. We are on the Wey at Godalming. First offence, having a pram hood. Second offence having it erected. Third offence, not reading fully the advisory leaflet.

Just been severely admonished by the horse drawn trip boat lady for the erection on my roof. "

That would have been the Ex Norbury SUC boat the preset boat is Small Woolwich " Bellerophon" renamed " Iona" when it replaced the wooden boat of that name it was fitted out in 1968

That would have been the Ex Norbury SUC boat the preset boat is Small Woolwich " Bellerophon" renamed " Iona" when it replaced the wooden boat of that name it was fitted out in 1968

Pleased to hear it's still operational: I took a school party on it in 2001. On the same day we also visited a working watermill in the area.