* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

I think we should adopt the Japanese ww2 approach just sing as many boats by the exits this way nothing can go any where.

I am surprised that marinas dont have better security to get in and out. There are only a few with a bridge or gate or bar across them to stop people just coming and going. But my argument is your paying for a marina you expect it to be semi safe andbe told if there are any problems otherwise why pay the price why not just get a crt mooring with facilities.

I know the boat yards and some marinas keep owners upto date of problems or movements.

But the bottom line is these sort of thefts from marinas shouldnt be happening ever. I can understand maybe a cc or amiddle of no where moring boat being taken.

. But my argument is your paying for a marina you expect it to be semi safe andbe told if there are any problems otherwise why pay the price why not just get a crt mooring with facilities.

How many C&RT moorings do you know that have all of the following :

Residential Planing Permission

Water on every mooring

Electricity on every mooring

Free Pump-out 100 yards from your mooring

Diesel 100 yards away from your mooring

Dustbins 100 yards away from your mooring

A 'man' who will take your mail in whilst you are away, cut the grass, look after the flowers, put salt down on the pontoon etc etc.

Car Park for you and your visitors

Small Chandlery on site

Internet based Chandlery that delivers to your boat next day.

Showers / Toilets and elsan emptying 100 yards from your mooring

Provides you with a 'shed' for all your 'stuff'

200 yards walk to Aldi

250 yard walk to the pub (Sausage egg & chips £2.75, pint ale £1.90)

300 Yard walk to Morrisons

And to which is added a 'secure' access gate that can only be opened by an RFI Fob which is linked to each moorer (so you can tell who has opened the gates at what time)

The only open access is via the water which is just something we have to live with.

All for £3800 per annum inclusive of council tax (irrespective of length) Residential or

£150 per metre per year for leisure mooring.

What costs are you paying for a C&RT bankside mooring ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

I think we should adopt the Japanese ww2 approach just sing as many boats by the exits this way nothing can go any where.

I am surprised that marinas dont have better security to get in and out. There are only a few with a bridge or gate or bar across them to stop people just coming and going. But my argument is your paying for a marina you expect it to be semi safe andbe told if there are any problems otherwise why pay the price why not just get a crt mooring with facilities.

I know the boat yards and some marinas keep owners upto date of problems or movements.

But the bottom line is these sort of thefts from marinas shouldnt be happening ever. I can understand maybe a cc or amiddle of no where moring boat being taken.

One of the many things I like about the canals and the marina we moor is that we are free to come and go any time day or night. The marina is fairly secure but there is only so much they can do. Somewhere along the line personal responsibility for ones boat has to come into the equation. I should not like to have to clock in or out of the marina or have restricted access and exit times.

Contrast this with the caravan we have. Where we keep the van has the gates opened and shut at certain hours. On some days of the year the premises is locked all day. We have access to the marina 24 / 7 but not so the 'van storage, we have to rely on others to open and close the gates.

In June we took the caravan up to the north of Scotland, whilst I planned the route and travelling times I forgot to factor in the time the storage area closed when coming home - no need with "our" marina. Subsequently we had to stay an unplanned extra night on the route home so we could return the van to the yard before it closed.

As Martin (MJG) has already said caravans are a lot more easily 'nickable' than a boat, the frequency greater and less chance of the 'van being returned. When a boat is taken it is news in the greater canal world, not so in the caravan world.

From person observation and keeping my ear to the ground I feel there is less chance of our boat being burgled or stolen from the marina than on bank side.

Edited by Ray T

From person observation and keeping my ear to the ground I feel there is less chance of our boat being burgled or stolen from the marina than on bank side.

Oddly, my perception is that most stolen narrowboats so far have been nicked from marinas. But I don;t actually know.

Where was Chilton nicked from? And any other genuinely stolen narrowboats the board can think of?

Oddly, my perception is that most stolen narrowboats so far have been nicked from marinas. But I don;t actually know.

Where was Chilton nicked from? And any other genuinely stolen narrowboats the board can think of?

I was basing my observations on the information I receive from Warwickshire Police Canal Watch, which I have posted on CWDF previously.

Admittedly it is only for the Warwickshire area not nation wide.

Holly, from the "old" Middlewhich Narrow boat hire Co. whilst out on hire.

Edited by Ray T

Holly, from the "old" Middlewhich Narrow boat hire Co. whilst out on hire.

This was surely rather different, as I don't believe the person originally hiring it had initially planned to steal it had they?

My memory was more that having hired it they liked the life enough they thought they would see if they could hang on to it?

Or am I wrong?

So so far it appears we can only think of Chilton and Rare Bear (for want of a better description) as genuinely stolen narrow boats, and we don't seem to know whether Chilton was nicked from her marina berth or the towpath!

No there have been genuine thefts, such as "Selkie" taken from Harefield Marina in Nov or Dec 2006, (I can't believe this is nearly 10 years ago!).

It was found in Rickmansworth by Magnetman of this forum just one day after being reported stolen on here by its owner. It had been painted all over in blacking, I think?

Thread here.

I see that thread also mentions "Cragdale". I remember the name, but can't remember the story. Anyone want to look that one up?

Edited by alan_fincher

Ok on checking the Chilton thread it was stolen from Kings Bromley Marina.

So far that it three out of three stolen from marinas, and none from the towpath.

"Cragdale" I think was taken from the towpath.

The punchline for that one was IIRC, that it was moored up awaiting an appointment to be rebottomed or overplated, so those taking it didn't exactly pick the highest value boat they might have done.

I've not revisited the thread to see if there was a back story that made it other than a straighforwatd theft, though.

Ok on checking the Chilton thread it was stolen from Kings Bromley Marina.

So far that it three out of three stolen from marinas, and none from the towpath.

Boats are more likely to be left in a marina as the owner may be just a leisure boater, boats on the towpath are more likely to be used often. Small moorings may be more secure to boat theft as you more likely to know your neighbours where in a big marina you may have many neighbours you don't know.

Its all very well saying owners must make take responsibility for their boats security while in the marina but the marina operators don't permit anything that stops them moving the boat if they so choose. So as they prevent owners fully securing their boats they should take some responsibility for security.

BTW, Saw the Dog and Duck today , I bet they are relieved to no longer be scrutinised, sadly I didn't have the opportunity to chat.

Top Cat

Its all very well saying owners must make take responsibility for their boats security while in the marina but the marina operators don't permit anything that stops them moving the boat if they so choose. So as they prevent owners fully securing their boats they should take some responsibility for security.

BTW, Saw the Dog and Duck today , I bet they are relieved to no longer be scrutinised, sadly I didn't have the opportunity to chat.

Top Cat

But marinas do take some responsibility for their moorers security, to varying degrees.

As a boater you make a choice about where you moor and the degree of security provided.

You also need to take some personal responsibility for the security of your own boat.

The reasons they don't allow people to lock their boats to the pontoons are entirely logical as said probably three times now. I can just see the outcry now on here because a load of boats burnt out because the Marina staff couldn't move their boats to safety during a boat fire.

Catch 22 for marina owners.

There was the one stolen from EMBS on the soar too. Can't remember the name now.

Edited to add....I remembered! Samshiba I think it was.

There was also a Louis & Joshua boat stolen from sawley marina on a may bank holiday weekend a few years back, found quite quickly iirc, but badly over painted in black with red painted brass portholes. It looked a right mess on return.

Edited by Ally