* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Trying to follow this long thread but sometimes unable to keep up so forgive me if repeating what's been said.

If tech immobilizer is out of question how about a rudder/tiller clamp. It would attract attention if hacked off with tools even more so if top quality materials are used Inc lock.

Something that may be of use to boat owners :-

I own a old car (an Anglia 105e) and i am regularly on a forum for like minded owners, we were warned some time ago not to post photographs on the forum taken on a phone with GPS as the photo,s could be interogated with the right software and the location of the car could be found.

I do not know if this is true or just another 'urban myth' can anyone on here confirm either way ?

If it is true, posting photo's of your boat at its home mooring may not be a good idea.

Regards to all, and well done everyone !

Max

Something that may be of use to boat owners :-

I own a old car (an Anglia 105e) and i am regularly on a forum for like minded owners, we were warned some time ago not to post photographs on the forum taken on a phone with GPS as the photo,s could be interogated with the right software and the location of the car could be found.

I do not know if this is true or just another 'urban myth' can anyone on here confirm either way ?

If it is true, posting photo's of your boat at its home mooring may not be a good idea.

Regards to all, and well done everyone !

Max

Yes it's possible.

Google 'Geo tagging'

A better system than an ignition isolator switch is a simple circuit that allows the engine to run for say 30 seconds or so then cuts the engine. It can be turned off with a hidden switch so the engine runs as normal.

If a thief manages to start the boat he won't get far, he will start it again but it will cut out again and again, he should then give up thinking the boat has a fault and isn't worth stealing. You can make it more convincing by having it immobilise for a set duration after which it will allow the engine to start for 30 seconds.

Any one good with electronic circuitry could build one for a few qiud

A better system than an ignition isolator switch is a simple circuit that allows the engine to run for say 30 seconds or so then cuts the engine

That's called 'shut the fuel tap' You'll get maybe a couple of minutes

Richard

Jail birds hopefully

On a more serious note we may want to discuss how we should respond to similar events on another dedicated thread.

T C

This is a really good idea, especially as there have been comments that some of what was done could have been done better.

So I'll start one, where perhaps we can discuss this, and ask for it to be pinned while we do. Then we should end up with a separate pinned thread with our agreed summary.

Brilliant news that the boat has been found! Well done everyone involved for your help.

If anyone is interested, I have had a tracker fitted for over 2 years and am happy to share any information, it wasn't rocket science, under 20 quid, costs very little to run, very accurate and tiny.

Unfortunately according to my insurance company it doesn't change my policy amount.

Edited by Pykebird

Brilliant news that the boat has been found! Well done everyone involved for your help.

If anyone is interested, I have had a tracker fitted for over 2 years and am happy to share any information, it wasn't rocket science, under 20 quid, costs very little to run, very accurate and tiny.

Unfortunately according to my insurance company it doesn't change my policy amount.

Tell me more

The latest cameras tend to include GPS receivers and add the co[ordinates to the EXIF data. See this article on how to get rid of this data before publishing photos.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-to-remove-exif-metadata-from-photos-and-why-you-might-want-to/

You can of course change the data to something "approprate"

Don't most diesels have an electric cut out to turn them off?

Most I've seen use a pull cable to stop, either manually or electrically.

Having had to leave this thread while the boat was in the is it isn't the right boat stage I am delighted to get home and find that it has been found and is back in the hands of the owners.

I hope the owners don't find what the boat (and they have been through) too traumatic and continue to enjoy their boating on her.

The boating community has totally astounded me, I have followed threads about stolen boats before but this one was exceptional and high praise needs to go to everybody who used social media,walked towpaths, cycled towpaths, handed out flyers etc etc

A final thought it is amazing how frustrated and helpless you feel following a thread like this when you are miles from canals and can't get out there and "do your bit".

A great result and many congratulations to all concerned.

A fuel tap can be turned back on by someone that knows to look. A small toggle switch can be hidden anywhere

What's it going to toggle tho? The electrics are very easy to bypass, and if toggling something fuel related it's just as easy to locate as a fuel tap!

Richard

You can tell the boaters that do turn the fuel tap off, as you always in the middle of the canal when the engine stops, and after a few oh sh1t moments you realise you didn't switch the fuel tap on! Edited by Robbo

As I have stated before I do not own a boat (yet) but the one thing I would like is an immobiliser fitted. For me that was the one game changer that stopped most cars from being stolen, nowadays they try to steal the keys to the cars as they cannot circumnavigate round the immobiliser

There is a significant difference between stealing a car, and stealing a boat, which you are overlooking.

A stolen car can be driven away at 30mph, and well above 70mph once it reaches any major route. It can be hidden away within minutes in a lock up, and broken up for parts, or given a cloned identity.

Alternatively it can be taken to any major port within hours, and out of the country. Or shipped out in a container to some tinpot African state.

A canal boat has a getaway speed of just 4mph at best, without allowing for locks and swingbridges. Yes, it could be craned out, but doing so is likely to be observed by someone. You are also going to need a significant crane, and an articulated truck.

I don't believe that boat theft is going to become the chosen occupation of organised criminals anytime soon.

• Greenie 1

Richard

And then need to bleed the fuel system in Theodora's case.

N

What a great outcome. Please keep us posted and hopefully the felons will be suitably re-homed by Her Majesty for a very long time in due course.

If it's any help for the future, I've used this firm for some tough padlocks over the years and they've been excellent:

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/

Interesting

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/info_4401EURDLH.html

There is a significant difference between stealing a car, and stealing a boat, which you are overlooking.

A stolen car can be driven away at 30mph, and well above 70mph once it reaches any major route. It can be hidden away within minutes in a lock up, and broken up for parts, or given a cloned identity.

Alternatively it can be taken to any major port within hours, and out of the country. Or shipped out in a container to some tinpot African state.

A canal boat has a getaway speed of just 4mph at best, without allowing for locks and swingbridges. Yes, it could be craned out, but doing so is likely to be observed by someone. You are also going to need a significant crane, and an articulated truck.

I don't believe that boat theft is going to become the chosen occupation of organised criminals anytime soon.

Immobilisers haven't stopped car thefts either just the way it's now pinched!

The bit I don't understand is that apparently the thief had keys to the boat, was observed unlocking it, starting it up and driving off.

I thought he was just noticed with keys (which may or may not have been the right ones), and then he was off with the boat fairly quickly. He might have had other ways of getting in and starting the boat.

Edited by stripey

The bit I don't understand is that apparently the thief had keys to the boat, was observed unlocking it, starting it up and driving off.

As Stripey pointed out - this was discussed earlier in the thread - an accomplished 'lock bumper' can make it look like they do have the right key, especially when not closely observed. The eye witness reports from Yank On The Cut would suggest observation from a distance from folk with no reason to suspect foul play...

As also pointed out earlier, once having gained access to a boat, getting the engine started is a trivial issue for anyone who knows anything about them (leaving aside the pre 1920's & vanishingly-rare-on-boats post 2000s designs) even if the 'ignition' key isn't present.

Edited by Lampyrichard