* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

There seems to be far more going on here than just a straight forward boat theft.

I disagree.

I think it's a straight forward theft, done weeks ago. The boat and thief were/are long gone before anyone even started looking for them.

It's either been sold on cheap somewhere well out of the way, and some unsuspecting soul is sat on thier new pride and joy somewhere like the Middle Levels, Medway etc...

Or the thief could still be on it having modified and repainted it, but in an equally far off place.

Too many people are aware and looking for it centrally in the popular areas. I also suspect a lot of the people who are keeping an eye out and reporting that they haven't seen it are simply looking for the boat as it is in the photos and won't be thinking about the possibility or it not looking like that now.

There seems to be far more going on here than just a straight forward boat theft.

I think all this was pretty comprehensively put to bed yesterday.

What is wrong with people just accepting the thing has been stolen, by a thief.

I disagree.

I think it's a straight forward theft, done weeks ago. The boat and thief were/are long gone before anyone even started looking for them.

It's either been sold on cheap somewhere well out of the way, and some unsuspecting soul is sat on thier new pride and joy somewhere like the Middle Levels, Medway etc...

Or the thief could still be on it having modified and repainted it, but in an equally far off place.

Too many people are aware and looking for it centrally in the popular areas. I also suspect a lot of the people who are keeping an eye out and reporting that they haven't seen it are simply looking for the boat as it is in the photos and won't be thinking about the possibility or it not looking like that now.

Ditto, sometimes the most plausible and realistic proposition seems to get lost off in some sort of desire to create some nonsensical conspiracy theory.

The bottom line is if the boat has been taken by somebody not entitled to be legally in possession of it its a theft, plain and simple.

Nothing from Napton to Warwick yesterday. Although it was good to see 2 boats with flyers in the window

I suspect ours was one of them... slightly shabby looking grey boat coming south, with a vintage engine (4LK)?

However I confirm no sighting from Saltisford (left midday Saturday) to Welton Wharf (just London side of Braunston Tunnel, reached yesterday about 4:30pm).

Fair play. Maybe i am over complicating it in my head, just hope it turns up soon.

I am cuurently cruising the leicester ring anti clockwise and have my eyes peeled.

To be fair I think you are not the only one. People seem to assuming that simply because the boat hasn't been found yet that there must be something more to this than meets the eye but it simply could be anywhere on a huge system now. Lots of bits have been covered but there a huge swaths that haven't. Even on the bits covered somebody could easily have missed it.

Very little if any mention has been made of (m)any Northern Waterways such as the Leeds Liverpool, the Bridgwater, the Aire and Calder, the Calder and Hebel, the Ripon Canal, the Selby, the sheffiled and South Yorkhire, the Stainforth and Keadby and the Huddersfield canals as just a few examples.

Even if this boat has disappeared as some sort of dispute between two parties the police have accepted it as a crime and a theft so until that changes the circumstances remain that the boat has thus far been regarded as stolen by those that matter, the owners and the police.

I suspect ours was one of them... slightly shabby looking grey boat coming south, with a vintage engine (4LK)?

However I confirm no sighting from Saltisford (left midday Saturday) to Welton Wharf (just London side of Braunston Tunnel, reached yesterday about 4:30pm).

Is there a link to this flyer? I looked earlier for it but couldn't find it.

I am of no help in the search as we no longer boat in the UK and are currently boating in France but, as an ex and long term UK narrow boater, my thoughts are that one of the most characteristic aspects of this boat are the curved dropped sides to the semi-trad side panels and the matching upswept handrails at that position. Even if someone got an angle grinder to those handrails the curved drop on the side panels would be difficult to disguise. These semi-trad side panel features surely make a quick glance 'yes it could be, no it isn't' identification relatively easy in passing and easier than window locations/styles I would have thought?

Roger

Glynn of New & Used kindly posted search details on The Sales Pontoon and the following response was received:

Hi, I may have seen this boat last Thursday 28th July on the Ashby canal. My work colleagues and I cruised between Stoke Golding marina and Cheney Wharf & return between the hours of 18:30 and 20:15.

My partner and I will be cruising the Leicestershire Ring from this Friday for 2 weeks so will keep out eyes peeled.
Good luck.
Best regards, Martin

b

If it was taken by the same thief I think it is likley that it will turn up in the same area that the last boat was found.

A thief makes a living by selling goods they have stollen, and would need to stay in an area that they know in order to be able to sell goods on

Let's hope this idiot isn't flush with cash and needs to go back to his chosen occupation, which would mean turning up in his old stomping ground in order to covert goods to cash.

Unless of course he is a pickpocket or something.

If I was selling a stolen boat, I'd paint it with red undercoat to make it look drab and not such a bargain, then sell it for half price London with a notice in the window.

So you would intentionally sell it for less than it was worth? I wish you were a Boat Broker instead of a Boat Hunter!

The sighting on the Ashby Canal looks encouraging.

So you would intentionally sell it for less than it was worth? I wish you were a Boat Broker instead of a Boat Hunter!

Of course! You need a buyer blinded a bargain, forgoing a survey and jogging to the bank for cash. Remember the boat was free, it's all profit and you want shot of before buyer thinks too hard. Edited by boathunter

The boat's definitely not at the top of the Chesterfield. Not in Shireoaks marina either.

On my day off today, I parked at Kiverton Park, then cycled up to the dead end at the Norwood tunnel. I turned round and did the 17 miles down to Carolgate bridge 56 in Retford to catch the train back.

It was always going to be a long shot as it would mean a trip on the tidal Trent, but I don't think anywhere can be ruled out now. The boat could now be using stolen or copied numbers to evade detection.

Good luck with the hunt.

Cheers Mike

Not really. There has been multiple 'sightings' on the Ashby, Atherstone, Coventry etc, yet numerous members have covered that stretch and confirmed it is not there. We've also been told that there is an identical shaped Stenson boat called 'Dog & Duck' out cruising that area last week. I guess this is the boat that keeps being seen.

The boat could now be using stolen or copied numbers to evade detection.

A question for those who understand these things. Would CRT's logging system notice if the same boat number was recorded many miles apart or for that matter if an unknown number appeared?

Could someone adept at Photoshop do some work on the photos?

Perhaps put a canvas around the back end addition.

Chop off the curved handle things at the back.

Change the upper works colour to Red Oxide.

Cover all windows with squares of ply wood.

As a possible "Could now look like"

I disagree.

All boat passages through Stanground lock are recorded by the lock keeper, a quick call to the MLC may help, the number of boats through in the last few weeks will be in 10's not 100's

the same applies at Salters Lode and Denver, Boat name and registration are taken by both lockies

Edited by gazza

Could someone adept at Photoshop do some work on the photos?

Perhaps put a canvas around the back end addition.

Chop off the curved handle things at the back.

Change the upper works colour to Red Oxide.

Cover all windows with squares of ply wood.

As a possible "Could now look like"

I would be careful doing that, as there are hundreds of possibilities. People may start assuming the suggested photo is the actual boat.

Just as somewhere else to eliminate, I don't think they've been mentioned yet, we've kept our eyes peeled along the Macclesfield and the Upper Peak Forest (to Bugsworth Basin, which we searched carefully, but not up to Whaley Bridge sorry). No sign of it here.

Just as somewhere else to eliminate, I don't think they've been mentioned yet, we've kept our eyes peeled along the Macclesfield and the Upper Peak Forest (to Bugsworth Basin, which we searched carefully, but not up to Whaley Bridge sorry). No sign of it here.

Due to illness, we aren't on board at present, but the family are heading off down Marple and up towards Uppermill, so I have briefed them

I would be careful doing that, as there are hundreds of possibilities. People may start assuming the suggested photo is the actual boat.

Fair enough ...... did you think I meant ignoring the original look all together?

I based it on the question "what would I do to it straight away?" also the response I got from someone at Hawkesbury who commented

"Not seen it, you'd remember that deep blue wouldn't you, especially at the back?"

What other things would people do to disguise it?