* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Could have painted a number on though by now....

I was wondering how informative CRT's system is. Would it flag if the same number was spotted, let's say, in London and Liverpool in the same week? Because we changed our boats name, and when we rang to update the records we were told you don't have to inform of name changes as all is checked via licence number. Now obviously if no number is displayed I have no idea what they do, but if they've painted a number from a similar boat, that might buy them some time.

Isn't that precisely how the other one was found to be missing from it's birth and subsequently found?

No, it was noticed by a diligent lock keeper, who raised a query about it. We can't rely on that happenig again.

But we were actually speculating about what action the data loggers are instructed take when they encounter an unnumbered boat, if any.

would that not fit with fidodido who thought he'd seen a similar boat near Rugeley?

Yes it would, I believe.

No, it was noticed by a diligent lock keeper, who raised a query about it. We can't rely on that happenig again.

But we were actually speculating about what action the data loggers are instructed take when they encounter an unnumbered boat, if any.

Do we actually know what info is taken, checked and then reported... Just an innocent question BTW

The thief may be posting here telling us that he has checked the area he's hiding in. Don't trust any posts from "new" members without a little, healthy cynicism!

Speaking as a new member (and definitely not a boat thief!!) how would you know that the perpetrator of this theft hasn't been a forum member for years?

Just a thought, but if I was trying to hide a stolen boat, I'd put it amongst a load of similar items and hope it disappears in the crowd. Has anyone had a wander round Barton Turn?

Cosgrove to fenny stratford clear.

Except the raging fire we had to call 999 about just round the first bit of the corner after going down fenny lock. Massive out of control fire

Edited by billybobbooth

Cosgrove to fenny stratford clear.

Except the raging fire we had to call 999 about just round the first bit of the corner after going down fenny lock. Massive out of control fire

boat fire?

Do crt loggers check licences in boat windows?

One missing this would throw up a red flag on the system would it not?

Not generally, and certainly not if the index number is conspicuously elsewhere on the boat.

Don't get too hopeful about CRT boat checkers - in my personal experience, having asked for my data for a couple of years for my own boats, they only regularly get recorded if on their home mooring, or at Stoke Bruerne where there are zealous volunteer checkers. Elsewhere my boats seem to be invisible. IIRC we were spotted once in a long tour right across the Pennines and back.

If the missing boat were on its home mooring it would have far more chance of being recorded than it will if it is moving around the system, (or at least that is the experience of me and others I have talked to about this subject).

page not found

Just back. Can you clarify?

i have sent you a message, little envelope at the top of the page

Yes thats the fire. We went threw the lock and just after moored up we then looked across and there was a wear house with a burner that was lit and the door open but the wood infront of the burner was just starting to light. With in 2 mins it had gone from a small fire to a massive fire i said to my wife if that bit pointing at a wood fence starts to catch well call 999 about 30 secs later we were calling 999. Then the plastic pipes around went up then plastic barrels then a bang then big thick black smoke.

Then after she finished on phone we promtly left by then we could here the fire engines coming.

The pics in the report arnt every clear but there is a metal semi box you can see from the pics this was a burner with tall chimney on. Quite shocking that all thats left is a semi collapsed metal box

Last night after work I continued my walk and talk along the Erewash from bridge 32 to Hallam Fields Lock so including Barkers, Potters, Greens, Gallows Locks but no joy. Every time I go around a bend I hope the stolen boat will be there and for someone at some point it will be.

This is the boaters version of Pokemon Go but with only one thing to catch. Well two really, the thief and the boat.

It is still surprising the number of boaters that do not know about this, despite the long reach of CWDF and all the work done by members and other groups since the theft. Keep talking everybody and thanks.

We have had a report from our loss adjuster that a boat that looked like ours was heading south last week on the North Oxford canal. We have contacted the environmental agency already and have asked that our flier be given to the lock keepers after receiving a report that one like ours was at Windsor. As we have received no reply if you are that way could you ask a lock keeper if he is aware that we are all looking for our boat please?

Once again we must thank you so very much for your help, we really have been so very touched by the hours and trouble you are going to to help us once more be reunited with our boat, let us hope it is soon! Thank you all.

We came up from the Thames 8 days ago, and it would be possible to get into and along the Thames going out of lockkeeper hours, without a licence, saying that the EA enforcement boat was very active round the Oxford area.