* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

We have now arrived back in Willington ready for tomorrow. Many thanks to all for your advice, actions, look outs, computer work, leaflet distibutions, talking to people, cycling for miles, peering suspiciously over fences, detective work, theories, aerial views, gongoozling at locks, and all the other various activities you have been engaged in on our behalf. We are devastated being here homeless without our boat. We would like to sincerely thank you all once again for everything you are doing for us. We have brought our boat keys with us in the slight hope that we will once more be turning the key to enter! Huge hope, probably unrealistic, but hey let's keep hoping!

Hi Graham and Chris,

I'm so sorry to hear about the theft of your boat and I'm sure it will be found as surely if craned out the cranage companies would of surely of heard of the theft by now and wonder if it was this boat. Another thing would a thief really want to pay for cranage as presumably the idea is to sell on in some way and make money not spend it? So I'm of the belief it will be found by the wonderful people of this forum. I would start looking further afield. Hiding it in a vacant marina berth may be where its gone until the dust settles, or even paid for a marina berth?

I hope tomorrow is the day it's found.

James

Edited by canals are us?

Good luck to all doing the walk tomorrow, and in days past and to come if needs be! It may not seem fruitfulness where you are, but each walk rules out more places, and thus refines the areas. What a fabulous community we have. Damn ed if we don't find it soon! I assume C&RT have alerted all lockie and checkers?

That crossed my mind as useful to narrow down long stretches of empty canal where there might be one odd boat, or private arms-but I think a view from above would only be as useful as telling you there is a boat there, I think someone would still have to go out and look in each spot a boat was viewed.

has anyone thought about useing a drone? this will cut down on the amount of walking people are doing.

A pretty expensive one with a stabilized gimbal mounted zoom lens camera would be needed. The latest use for drones is delivering packets of drugs to prisoners in prison I believe.

That crossed my mind as useful to narrow down long stretches of empty canal where there might be one odd boat, or private arms-but I think a view from above would only be as useful as telling you there is a boat there, I think someone would still have to go out and look in each spot a boat was viewed.

looking at my mates drone pic you can clearly see its her boat from above. of course this could only be verified by the owners.

Don't give up, it's somewhere! Painted lady, the arm off the soar below bishops meadow has until recently been used by c&rt spotter avoiders! One of whom has now given up and got a mooring. It may be him the fishermen were thinking of as he was there for months. That said, it would be a great place to hide. The soar has several little branches off that could give a hidden mooring, as I'm sure most rivers do. Another spot would be the back navigation behind proctors that heads into quorn.

I thought so

Morning All. I am mapping everyone's reports of where they've been and are going or cruising onto a Google Maps overlay.

So please keep them coming - either as a posting on here or as a PM to Yank on the Cut. I'm also picking up the reports from Canalworld's Facebook counterpart and Canals & Rivers UK.

The Mercia team's stretches when they been decided on this morning in the light of which areas have already been covered well (like the Ashby, thanks to those of you who have looked carefully from top to bottom over the last 24 hours).

Jo

We'll be travelling, by boat, from Hawkesbury to Hillmorton tomorrow and will continue to look for the boat. I've noticed on the map that there are a couple of arms off the canal in Rugby- one near bridge 48 & the other near bridge 54. Has anyone checked them out already?

One of those branches is the Brownsover Arm. I believe it is locked off now and used by Clifton Cruises for mooring.

The other is Willow Wrens basedited to change Cliftonville back to wot I rote, blurry autokorrekt.

Edited by cuthound

I am moored at proctors and walk my dog round the backwater, up to yesterday evening when i left for loughborough i can confirm it is not there.

Brilliant I got as far as pillings last nite and was going up to barrow but it got late so I turned round

Has the flyer been sent to all the soar boatyards. It occurs to me that redhill marina would be an easy place to hide a boat, either in the pond, on the backwater Ratcliffe moorings, or out on land in the field of dreams even. The Ratcliffe moorings are seldom seen by anyone.

Edited by Ally

May I please reply to the speculation regarding the theft of our narrowboat.

I am unsure how this Action we have brought against the builder has come to light, it certainly was not for shoddy workmanship, or for an unpaid debt on our part.

It would have been unfair to both parties to mention it when the boat was reported stolen, and may have prejudiced people's opinions.

Both the Derbyshire and Staffordshire Police together with our Loss Adjusters are dealing with the theft but we are not privy to their lines of enquiries.

I hope this reassures people of the situation.

With grateful thanks to all of those people helping us to find our boat.

Kind regards

Graham and Chris Day

Outright question.

Has it been checked that the boat is or is not with any party to the action you have brought?

Or subject to any court requirements?

Bod

Has the flyer been sent to all the soar boatyards. It occurs to me that redhill marina would be an easy place to hide a boat, either in the pond, on the backwater Ratcliffe moorings, or out on land in the field of dreams even. The Ratcliffe moorings are seldom seen by anyone.

Or cranfleet cut and up into Nottingham ?

Out on to tidal Trent ..........

Has the marina owner managed to get a pic of the bloke off cctv.that way the police could match it up with the name of the guy off other stolen boat.Or at least find out who he is

This is an interesting point. Initially Yank on the Cut said looking through the CCTV simply isn't practical without an approximate date to look through.

Viewing two weeks whole of footage actually takes two weeks, in real time, so even with a date finding images of the thief is very time consuming.

Yet there has been no progress in establishing a date. Any ideas on this front, anyone?

Not really you just rewind to approx date and fast forward at warp speed .you don't need to look at it frame by frame.Takes a couple of hours at most.And surely it's a starting point to identify the bloke

So what IS the 'approximate date' then?

We don't know.

Which is why I suggested the team turns its attention seriously to establishing when it was taken.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

For those not boating this weekend, the Mercia team are meeting at 9.45. Everyone will be given flyers and a route to walk. This along with the fabulous efforts of CWDF are being coordinated so we should be able to share it with you all later. There are 3 ways to get a private message to us 1 pm Robert - Yank on the cut, 2 phone Chris and Graham or 3 email findmyboat@outlook.com. All of these are monitored continually. Fingers crossed that today proves fruitful.