Laundry.

Neil2

Featured Posts

That was quick !

Guess they cleaned up.

Rog

Or the landlord double the rent. As was the case a few years ago in March when a new launderette opened in Station road, It close a year later when the rent more than doubled.

Well how many did you need?

Two, so if one closes I can go to the other one. Plus two makes for compitition.

:)

Or the landlord double the rent. As was the case a few years ago in March when a new launderette opened in Station road, It close a year later when the rent more than doubled.

Or the fairground closed them down.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to thank those who directed me to the portable twin tub, had one of these delivered yesterday and whilst it's not the most durable looking thing it is very impressive in operation, far better than I was expecting and it will solve our problem easily. One big plus is it will work in our shower which is a wet room, not a tray, so the washer can be filled straight from the shower hose and will drain into the sump.

I'd just like to thank those who directed me to the portable twin tub, had one of these delivered yesterday and whilst it's not the most durable looking thing it is very impressive in operation, far better than I was expecting and it will solve our problem easily. One big plus is it will work in our shower which is a wet room, not a tray, so the washer can be filled straight from the shower hose and will drain into the sump.

Well done - another convert !!

I have this one, top loading, 50cm wide so fits through the doors, connected to the hot water feed, 15 minute cycle with engine running causes no problems.

http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Whirlpool-AWE6761-6Kg-1000-Spin-Washing-Machine-in-White/id-WHI-WSH-AWE6761-W?gclid=CjwKEAjwlZa9BRCw7cS66eTxlCkSJAC-ddmwRkxQBOJ8Pt0-5oaEavUWFGFYo9-0oyIA-t9ExhQTMhoCsgrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We have a fully auto full size washer 6kg load and a 4kg load tumble dryer (60 foot boat) they run happily off shore power, 4kva on-board genny, or inverter or stand alone 1600w benny. Nice to have options. Using the tumble dryer means no problem with condensation from washing hanging around and also means ironing is not necessary.

Phil

• 9 months later...

Just to clarify, the ACS laundry list http://www.aylesburycanal.org.uk/#!acs-laundry -list /c18gi   is not available to browse online, only available to BUY a copy online £4-50.  But the money goes to a good cause (the IWA I think, or maybe ACS itself)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 19:09, nbfiresprite said:

The laundry in March is up for sale as the owner is retiring. If not sold, the laundry will be closed later this year and the machines removed.

Good news, both laundrettes are now fully open.

I've tried loads of options including plungers, wash bags and a twin tub and now I swear by this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Sports-Outdoors/Brunner-29691-Wonder-Wash/B0076U5VEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497872492&sr=8-1&keywords=wonderwash

followed by this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Knight-Spin-Dryer-28009B/dp/B01MZ8Q91F/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497872503&sr=8-2&keywords=spin+dryer

The wonderwash can be used in the sink or shower tray and just takes 2 minutes to tumble wash 2-3kg of clothing at a time and uses much less wash water than a twin tub for the same amount of clothes plus it's faster as it also adds water pressure to speed up the clean. A machine-assisted bucket washer usually takes 15 minutes and needs 20-30 Litres of water. This only uses 8-10 litres of hot water to do a 2-3kg load.

The full-size spin dryer is filled up by a single wonder-wash load and spins faster and is more effective than the baby twin tubs. I do a quick 20 second spin before stopping it and pouring in a 2-Litre jug full of rinse water with a small bit of conditioner before finishing on a 3-minute spin dry.

Acrylic and woolan clothing can be worn instantly. Cottons and polyester items can be hung on a rack in the shower area or on a line or by the fire for an hour or two and they will be dry with minimum power and water requried. The wonder washer can be stacked on top of the spin dryer on a square board to save space.

Edited by CaneyJ

Oh dear, this is not something I want to dwell on too much, I was thinking of wearing my outer clothes to destruction, and topping up from charity shops, just have one or two respectable outfits for pub visits.

53 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Oh dear, this is not something I want to dwell on too much, I was thinking of wearing my outer clothes to destruction, and topping up from charity shops, just have one or two respectable outfits for pub visits.

There are one or two boaters who consider clothes optional. 

I love the launderette I use, it's in a shady part of the town with a smashed door and a strong smell of weed in the air. I get to meet some very interesting characters! 

1 hour ago, Meanderingviking said:

I love the launderette I use, it's in a shady part of the town with a smashed door and a strong smell of weed in the air. I get to meet some very interesting characters! 

I thought you spent a lot of time in the Hungerford area, that don't sound like genteel Hungerford to me, have you moved down to Bristol???? :D

.............Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

I thought you spent a lot of time in the Hungerford area, that don't sound like genteel Hungerford to me, have you moved down to Bristol???? :D

.............Dave

Ha ha ha, unfortunately the one in Hungerford is no longer. No I am describing the cultured delights of Swindon :D

10 hours ago, Meanderingviking said:

Ha ha ha, unfortunately the one in Hungerford is no longer. No I am describing the cultured delights of Swindon :D

There are no delights in Swindon, and the only hint there was once a canal is the pedestrian walk way through the shopping centre called 'Canal walk'.  Swindon has been fairly efficient at eradicating it's origins from the town centre (only the Mechanics institute is left, and that is boarded up and literally crumbling away) and is now a sad place.

10 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

There are no delights in Swindon, and the only hint there was once a canal is the pedestrian walk way through the shopping centre called 'Canal walk'.  Swindon has been fairly efficient at eradicating it's origins from the town centre (only the Mechanics institute is left, and that is boarded up and literally crumbling away) and is now a sad place.

Oh I don't know you have the homogenous shopping centre, large council estates lacking any investment and a massive television screen affixed to the side of a multi storey car park - is this not modern culture............ :blink:

Edited by Guest
Typo