Taking of fish

Featured Posts

Can you legally take fish out of our rivers and take them home. I was watching some anglers (and I use that term loosely) on the Thames this evening catching what looked like small roach , about 8” long and placing them in a plastic bag, not even using a priest to kill them. I was always of the impression that you had to put them back in the water unharmed.

There are various rules but from a canal you aren't allowed to remove fish except the exceptions (and a couple of others) as mentioned above. Sadly there are a lot of people break the rules. Some will take several hundred over a period of time.

I'm not casting (no pun intended) aspersions here, but quite often I see 'non-native uk' import types - mainly Eastern Europeans using the canals for food....i don't think to them it is wrong... just something they would do at home to supplement their diets.

Edited by Quaysider

Can you legally take fish out of our rivers and take them home. I was watching some anglers (and I use that term loosely) on the Thames this evening catching what looked like small roach , about 8” long and placing them in a plastic bag, not even using a priest to kill them. I was always of the impression that you had to put them back in the water unharmed.

completely wrong, report them if you see them again, you can only take if the water owner says you can like in trout lakes and river if licence to do so.

I'm not casting (no pun intended) aspersions here, but quite often I see 'non-native uk' import types - mainly Eastern Europeans using the canals for food....i don't think to them it is wrong... just something they would do at home to supplement their diets.

now if you dont get a complaint and warning i will be shocked a si have a few times in the past mentioned this, It all to common now these 'non-native uk folk are around.

I see them every now and tthen going to a local spot, just trying to get them caught for steeling.