Froghall

Featured Posts

Last time we tried to get through the tunnel a dirty great tar boat had got itself well and truly stuck necessitating CRT sending out blokes in wet suits to guddle about in the cut. We turned and headed off after cycling to the end so none the wiser as to whether we would fit. We don't fit under the M5 on the Droitwich without cratch dismantling so I doubt it.

Last time we tried to get through the tunnel a dirty great tar boat had got itself well and truly stuck necessitating CRT sending out blokes in wet suits to guddle about in the cut. We turned and headed off after cycling to the end so none the wiser as to whether we would fit. We don't fit under the M5 on the Droitwich without cratch dismantling so I doubt it.

There's a big difference between the M5 bridge and Froghall. The former is flat -topped so it is absolute air draft that is relevant, whereas with Froghall it's arched and so its more about the shape (width at handrail height etc).

Changing the subject slightly........

'Red Wharf' got through Froghall a year or two ago. We're planning crossing the Pennines on the Huddersfield later this year.

Does this mean we shouldn't have a problem with Standedge?

I'd say that's correct. Friend's boat we used to borrow is much tighter through Gosty Hill than ours, and yet it managed Standege.

Well it's bye bye Caldon, we are just descending Etruria staircase. I think we have passed a total of 5 boats moving, all the way from Froghall to here. Spookily quiet for July! Which is odd because it's a really nice canal. Even the bit through Stoke is much pleasanter than I remember from 15 years ago.

Edited by nicknorman

On the T&M now, still very quiet in terms of moving boats. 1 boat passed near Westport lake. We had to wait at Harecastle for over an hour but no other boats joined our 1-boat queue. 3 did come out of the tunnel the other way though. One was waiting at the other end.

I noted this sign which will annoy the traditionalists "tie up" or "moor" but not "moor up" I think!

post-9028-0-52906600-1469207711_thumb.jpeg

In the transit from Harecastle to Rode Heath, one opposite direction boat.

Anyway now "moored up" at Rode Heath - we got the last spot with a boat plonked in the middle of a longish space nearly stymying it - but there was 61' in front, just enough for our 59'! Their body language was a picture and naturally they didn't offer to move along a bit towards the 40' or so they have behind them. Never mind, we have satellite TV and looking forward to a pub tea. Hopefully the miseries will be miserable!

Edited by nicknorman

Well it's bye bye Caldon, we are just descending Etruria staircase. I think we have passed a total of 5 boats moving, all the way from Froghall to here. Spookily quiet for July! Which is odd because it's a really nice canal. Even the bit through Stoke is much pleasanter than I remember from 15 years ago.

You should pop down to Saltisford Arm in Warwick, standing room only.

• 4 weeks later...

The theme from our trip, taken during school hols, was one of how amazing quiet the canals were.

Well not so now it seems! Whilst I'm still in Aberdeen, Jeff has taken the boat out for a few days and says the Coventry (Fazeley to Fradley) has never been so busy. And now he is moored at Curdworth bottom lock, went for a run up the locks and says that every one of the 11 locks has a boat in it with some others queueing. This is unheard of for Curdworth! When we came down from central Brum to Fazeley a couple of weeks ago, we only saw 2 other boats moving in all of those 38 locks.

We must be careful not to make Birmingham sound too attractive otherwise it might always be like this!

Is it exceptionally busy elsewhere?

Great to hear you enjoyed the trip, we are planning on the same in the next couple of weeks and canny wait! Hoping for it to coincide with some trains at Cheddleton.

Ian.

Edited by IanR

We took the Braidbar hire boat to the Caldon in April this year, and loved it (and the boat!). Visited Leek and tied up at the winding hole short of Froghall to walk to the end of the cut, as there was no way we would take a hire boat through the tunnel! What a stunning canal, and both Froghall and Leek are delights. On the way back from Froghall, we tied up for lunch within sight of the Leek arm, I couldn't resist taking the walk across the valley and down to the end again.

There were just a few boats moving along the Caldon - not crowded at all, but not completely isolated. Definitely one to do again when we get our boat, but I still don't think I'll try taking it through Froghall tunnel!

Edit - having just seen Ian's post - we even saw trains at that time, as in addition to the scheduled services they also run quite a few for schools. we were just pulling in for lunch at the Boat Inn by Cheddleton Station, and heard an engine whistle! Probably worth giving the CVR a ring to see what's on and when.

Edited by stripey

We are planning on going up the Caldon next weekend, looking at the CVR website they are running all weekend and Monday. We are deffo intending to do the tunnels, though I imagine Jane and the dog might walk round the first time. I'm pretty certain our boat will go through as Im sure I know of a larger, deeper boat has been through recently. We'll see. Here's a link to the CVR site

https://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/

Ian.

We are planning on going up the Caldon next weekend, looking at the CVR website they are running all weekend and Monday. We are deffo intending to do the tunnels, though I imagine Jane and the dog might walk round the first time. I'm pretty certain our boat will go through as Im sure I know of a larger, deeper boat has been through recently. We'll see. Here's a link to the CVR site

https://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/

Ian.

Leek tunnel is straightforward. For Froghall, I'd strongly recommend that you have someone in the bow to keep it centred in the arch of the tunnel roof (by pushing sideways when necessary), otherwise I think you can be fairly sure of scraping paint on the handrails.

Leek tunnel is straightforward. For Froghall, I'd strongly recommend that you have someone in the bow to keep it centred in the arch of the tunnel roof (by pushing sideways when necessary), otherwise I think you can be fairly sure of scraping paint on the handrails.

A standard task for your footman, but not all of us have one.......

Great to hear you enjoyed the trip, we are planning on the same in the next couple of weeks and canny wait! Hoping for it to coincide with some trains at Cheddleton.

Ian.

Was stopped for lunch at Consall a few weeks ago on a bike ride when a steam train came past. All very authentic until you see the diesel loco pushing it along at the back.

Was stopped for lunch at Consall a few weeks ago on a bike ride when a steam train came past. All very authentic until you see the diesel loco pushing it along at the back.

They were doing that again this weekend. I think they are having signalling issues so joined the Steam train and the Diesel together (no signals needed if only one train running) but that makes a long train which is a bit heavy for that little tank engine to pull uphill by itself.

Not a good weekend, rain, rain and more rain, only option was all day drinking sessions in the pub and just popping outside each time the train passed.

..............Dave