Froghall

Featured Posts

Reached the end of the Caldon, too hot for my liking but a lovely canal anyway, and very quiet - just as well as pretty narrow in many places and lots of random offside moorings that only 1 boat can pass.

To attempt Froghall tunnel or not, that was the question. We failed to get under the gauges. But anyway, with full watertank, 3 bags of coal and a lot of gin and tonic on board I decided we'd have a go. I taped some thick rubber to the front bit of the handrails, took anything off the roof that might catch and we went in under hand - power. It was squeaky but we just made it. A tiny graze to a bit of a handrail further aft than the rubber went but never mind, the red needs redoing anyway.

Our Hudson is a couple of inches taller than standard ones due to me being a lanky whatsit and wanting to be able to stand up in my boat, so a standard Hudson should go through no bother.

Now overnighting in the basin, no other boats around.

post-9028-0-19588500-1469030858_thumb.jpeg

My favourite canal by far. So much to see and do up there too. Make sure you do the Leek Arm on your way back. I'm also very impressed you seem to have some dort of signal enabling you to post!

Where are you headed next Nick? I just missed you last week.

Reached the end of the Caldon, too hot for my liking but a lovely canal anyway, and very quiet - just as well as pretty narrow in many places and lots of random offside moorings that only 1 boat can pass.

To attempt Froghall tunnel or not, that was the question. We failed to get under the gauges. But anyway, with full watertank, 3 bags of coal and a lot of gin and tonic on board I decided we'd have a go. I taped some thick rubber to the front bit of the handrails, took anything off the roof that might catch and we went in under hand - power. It was squeaky but we just made it. A tiny graze to a bit of a handrail further aft than the rubber went but never mind, the red needs redoing anyway.

Our Hudson is a couple of inches taller than standard ones due to me being a lanky whatsit and wanting to be able to stand up in my boat, so a standard Hudson should go through no bother.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Last Hudson I met down that way was moaning like a drain, glad you did it OK.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Well done! We have been there, but only by car. It really is a bit of a secret water garden.

We got through earlier this year. The angle you need to enter the tunnel at doesn't help. A full water tank would have made it easier for us. Right hand rail took the hit in our case.

Having got the tee shirt I won't be doing it again.

My favourite canal by far. So much to see and do up there too. Make sure you do the Leek Arm on your way back. I'm also very impressed you seem to have some dort of signal enabling you to post!

Where are you headed next Nick? I just missed you last week.

Yes struggling with signal but it's OK outside by the lock (Three). No signal most of today though!

We've already been up the Leek arm, just for shopping and then overnighted on the aqueduct embankment.

The plan is to go back to Etruria up the T&M across the middlewhich and back down the Shroppie, although I'm feeling like I'm coming down with the 'flu this evening so we may wimp out of that, not sure yet.

There is a water point in the basin beyond the tunnel!

Yes I'll refill the tank. And the bucket. And anything else I can find. Looking for some rocks too!

If I could remember it I could let you have the password for the WiFi at the cottages by the lock as we stayed there last year but unfortunately I've forgotten what it was.

Hmmm very helpful - Not!

Anyway not to worry, iPhone is in the window and I'm tethered to it with data coming through - just!

We made it to the end of the Leek branch but decided against trying to squeeze through Froghall in the end - top much roof furniture to relocate!

Wave in the Stoke direction when you go through Etruria - our house is within walking distance of the old Burslem Arm

We made it to the end of the Leek branch but decided against trying to squeeze through Froghall in the end - top much roof furniture to relocate!

Wave in the Stoke direction when you go through Etruria - our house is within walking distance of the old Burslem Arm

Will do. Have you sold Iona? Think we spotted it near Trentham.

Hmmm very helpful - Not!

Anyway not to worry, iPhone is in the window and I'm tethered to it with data coming through - just!

If you can get on the mooring directly opposite the Black Lion at Consall Forge then you can pick their wifi up.

Will do. Have you sold Iona? Think we spotted it near Trentham.

Not yet (and yes that'd be right). Dave's still painting her - nearly done though so hopefully on the market soon.

I filled up with water to attempt Froghall earlier this year. The very front of my cratch jammed about 3 inches inside the tunnel. Better than jamming 3 inches from the far end I suppose.

It's the only tunnel or bridge which has defeated me.

I filled up with water to attempt Froghall earlier this year. The very front of my cratch jammed about 3 inches inside the tunnel. Better than jamming 3 inches from the far end I suppose.

It's the only tunnel or bridge which has defeated me.

I presume your cratch is not removable then? Most are (I think).

Seemed easier going back the way - no dazzling sunshine, no silly (and inaccurate) flappy bits of plastic to obscure the view at the start. And it was helped by me putting a torch shining upwards about 1/3 way along on the roof, also I remembered to put on my head torch.

Lunching near the Hollybush (hazelhurst) in glorious coolth.

Seemed easier going back the way - no dazzling sunshine, no silly (and inaccurate) flappy bits of plastic to obscure the view at the start. And it was helped by me putting a torch shining upwards about 1/3 way along on the roof, also I remembered to put on my head torch.

Lunching near the Hollybush (hazelhurst) in glorious coolth.

The Hollybush is a great pub with pleasant moorings. We were there in May & they had a group of Mummers call in on their way home from a well dressing event. They were great fun and got some of us boaters to bang their drum whilst performing.

Don't miss out on the Leek arm where there are good moorings just beyond the winding hole. Leek is a very pleasant town but is a 1 1/2 mile walk mostly uphill. There is Supermarket about 3/4 of a mile away if you walk through the industrial estate.

post-7038-0-93633200-1469113476_thumb.jpgpost-7038-0-80383400-1469113497_thumb.jpgpost-7038-0-58822100-1469113517_thumb.jpgpost-7038-0-91351900-1469113539_thumb.jpg

Seemed easier going back the way - no dazzling sunshine, no silly (and inaccurate) flappy bits of plastic to obscure the view at the start.

I think that is the problem, you can't see the line of the tunnel because of the flappy bits

Sorry reading indeed. At least you enjoyed some years boating. I do hope your sale goes well!

Thank you - we had seven fantastic years living aboard and made some great friends so I can't complain.