Froghall

Featured Posts

20151020_122436_zpskhhhhzjj.jpg

This is Halsall going through Froghall Tunnel no problem.

To give you an idea of height, the cabin slide comes halfway up my bum cheeks.

Thanks for that image Junior, I remember a post somewhere where you mentioned you'd been through, were you heavily loaded at the time? I imagine we'd fit through a tad easier perhaps as there is a bit less hull depth to us....

Looking well and truly forward to this little adventure, setting out from Barlaston on Friday.

Thanks for the advice folks, Jane and Ian.

Edited by IanR

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous trip up the Caldon, Leek and Uttoxeter canals. Truly stunning location. Squeezed through the Froghall tunnel but had to shift some ballast at the fore end to get it low enough to nearly miss the height markers. Good timing for the trains too, pub stop at the Black Lion yielded some good steam and diesel action, plus another at The Boat gave us a great Amy Winehouse cover act. Winner!! Some nice boats up there too, FMC 'Malvern', Grand Union 'Battersea' and what appeared to be (to my uneducated eye) a motor countered Josher butty with no name showing all on moorings, plus a couple of others out and about. Our boat played ball all the way, no issues from the newly repacked stern gland, I was wary as we did it ourselves whilst in the water and we are still new to this boating shinnanegans. We've biked up there before several times but it is amazing how different the views are from just 4 ft to the side!!

Thanks again for the tips, can't wait to get up there again.

Jane and Ian,.

• 3 months later...

Sorting some pics and rediscovered these from our Caldon trip to Froghall, a truly great place for sure. We were still slightly high on the markers after moving some ballast forward but went through with a couple of inches to spare. Froghall Wharf is a lovely building too, soon to be reopened as a tea room and gallery.

Ian.

froghall forum

froghall forum1

froghall forum3

froghall forum2

froghall forum4

froghall forum5

froghall forum6

Sorting some pics and rediscovered these from our Caldon trip to Froghall, a truly great place for sure. We were still slightly high on the markers after moving some ballast forward but went through with a couple of inches to spare. Froghall Wharf is a lovely building too, soon to be reopened as a tea room and gallery.

Ian.

We spent Christmas there two years ago http://nbharnser.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/thursday-25-december-2014-froghall-basin.htm l

and

http://nbharnser.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/friday-26-december-2014-cheddleton-mill.html

Edited by ditchcrawler