Boat length?

Rudolph Hart

Featured Posts

I can see that this has been discussed before but I'm still not sure of the answer,

I'm going to be looking for a liveaboard nb and would like the maximum length boat that would allow me to cruise the full canal system.

Is this 57ft or 60ft? Does that include fenders?

Thanks

I can see that this has been discussed before but I'm still not sure of the answer,

I'm going to be looking for a liveaboard nb and would like the maximum length boat that would allow me to cruise the full canal system.

Is this 57ft or 60ft? Does that include fenders?

Thanks

57'6" is pretty much a go-anywhere length for a narrow boat. 60' can be done with care - see http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/locks.htm, but you may well get wet feet in some locks. These are maximum overall length, so in shorter locks you will need to lift your fenders, turn projecting rudders through 90 degrees etc.

As has been said 60' can theoretically do the system and as a live aboard those extra three feet are all important. We went for 60' for those reasons but if I had my time again I would have specified 59' just to give me that extra wriggle room.