Stopping between Kilby bridge and Leicester

haggis

Featured Posts

We gave up as it was too hot (not used to all this sun) at Newton top lock this afternoon. We had planned to stop at Kilby bridge tonight then castle gardens the next night

The forecast for tomorrow is more sun so I don't think we will make castle gardens from here

Is there anywhere safe to stop between here and Castle gardens? A pub serving food would be nice but not essential

Haggis

We stopped at Aylestone Lock last night, space for two boats on the offside top of the lock island. Quiet, Aldi a short walk away, good 4G on 3. No pub though. Now at Kilby Bridge and deeply appreciative of the showers...

Castle Gardens was full yesterday afternoon, and we couldn't get to tesco because of a graduation day taking place. There was space on the new pontoons 250m north though. Not sure if you can get through the development to the town from there though.

Edited by DaveP

We gave up as it was too hot (not used to all this sun) at Newton top lock this afternoon. We had planned to stop at Kilby bridge tonight then castle gardens the next night

The forecast for tomorrow is more sun so I don't think we will make castle gardens from here

Is there anywhere safe to stop between here and Castle gardens? A pub serving food would be nice but not essential

Haggis

Yes we northerners are wilting! Mind you, by 8 pm sitting on the towpath with G&T it's very pleasant. When we have done that trip before I've always considered that there isn't anywhere nice to stop between KB and the centre, but maybe someone else knows better. Those locks are heavy and hard work!

Thanks Dave,just checked the map and that is not far short of Castle gardens. Useful to know but we are looking for somewhere sort of half way between

Enjoy your evening and say hello when you meet kelpie tomorrow

Haggis

We stopped at Aylestone Lock last night, space for two boats on the offside top of the lock island. Quiet, Aldi a short walk away, good 4G on 3. No pub though. Now at Kilby Bridge and deeply appreciative of the showers...

Castle Gardens was full yesterday afternoon, and we couldn't get to tesco because of a graduation day taking place. There was space on the new pontoons 250m north though. Not sure if you can get through the development to the town from there though.

We always visit an oriental restaurant when we stop at Castle gardens even if we have to breast up

Don't know the name but know how to get there!

Haggis

Yes we northerners are wilting! Mind you, by 8 pm sitting on the towpath with G&T it's very pleasant. When we have done that trip before I've always considered that there isn't anywhere nice to stop between KB and the centre, but maybe someone else knows better. Those locks are heavy and hard work!

Yes Nick, we are just not used to lots of sun! And I agree about the locks being hard work

I told iain a few years ago that I would prefer not to do wide locks in future but I suggested this trip as we haven't done it for a while

Haggis

Mooring above Kings Lock is also fine. No pub.

The new pontoons in Leicester are to be officially opened on 25th July. Access is via a locked gate on CRT padlock. Location is 250m north of West Bridge

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=52.636144~-1.143699&lvl=18&sty=h&sp=Point.ss5f5bgx44gs_New%2520pontoons____

post-3364-0-71155900-1468786808_thumb.jpg

post-3364-0-37461300-1468786849_thumb.jpg

Thanks Richard

Pity the pontoons are not open yet as castle gardens can get busy :-). That's two possibilities if we just can't make our destination

Haggis

They are usuable. However access to the outside world may not be possible. - worth a try. You could ring CRT Central Shires at Peels Wharf Fazeley to see if they know if access is now possible.

5 years ago on this stretch, we had a very quiet and pleasant evening moored just south of Gee's lock. Just north of the sharp turn at Glen Parva Lodge. We opened the side hatch and enjoyed the view of the cows grazing in the fields opposite.

It was a short trip in the morning into Leicester, to moor for the following night. We had a great Japanese meal with friends at the Little Tokyo restaurant near the Castle Gardens moorings.

There is actually a small cruiser moored across from the pontoons and although there is now room here (we have a boat breasted up to us but another boat has moved on, he seems happy there and has been chatting to passers by all afternoon

Found the good oriental restaurant

It is the terra cotta

Haggis

Ooh terracotta, lovely! You'll be passing us soon I guess. We are on our mooring at the end of old junction boatyard moorings, offside right on the bend. (Syston ) in tomorrow and Thursday, give us a peep as you pass! (N/b Hallyth )

• 3 months later...

5 years ago on this stretch, we had a very quiet and pleasant evening moored just south of Gee's lock. Just north of the sharp turn at Glen Parva Lodge. We opened the side hatch and enjoyed the view of the cows grazing in the fields opposite.

It was a short trip in the morning into Leicester, to moor for the following night. We had a great Japanese meal with friends at the Little Tokyo restaurant near the Castle Gardens moorings.

Just a note for future don't stop by glen pava to go the pub if you want to go the pub and get near the bankside,im three foot out by the bridge advised in pearsons

Just a note for future don't stop by glen pava to go the pub if you want to go the pub and get near the bankside,im three foot out by the bridge advised in pearsons

Which pub and /or which bridge? My Nicholsons doesn't list a pub in Glen Parva,

I suggested a mooring between Glen Parva Lodge and Gee's Lock. This isn't by a bridge.

Edited by MHS

There was a pub in Glen Parva called the County Arms - a Beefeater, it shut down 15 years ago and has become a retirement village in the last year- still marked in Nicholsons until recently as a pub. By bridge 98 - it is a short walk to the village of Blaby. There is another by bridge 94, not marked on Nicholsons - The Manor (a Marstons).

Moorings by both these are fairly shallow - however, west of bridge 98 is fairly good.