Anyone heading north on the Grand Union next week?

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Hope I'm ok posting this here.

Next week I need to get our boat to Long Buckby by Friday leaving from Berkhamstead

Problem is I will be single handed - so figured that if anyone else was heading north next week we could share locks for the some of the trip. The lock flights would be much easier with two boats.

My current plan is:

Berkhamstead to Leighton Buzzard

Leighton Buzzard to Cosgrove visitor moorings

Cosgrove to Long Buckby

If anyone is doing anything similar do let me know. I could break it up over five days but if I'm on my own I'd rather be in busier places overnight.

Thanks!

Doodlebug

From canal plan:

First full day of trip

On the the Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line - Gayton to Brentford), at Leighton Buzzard Bridge No 114. This is 14 miles, 3½ furlongs and 24 locks and will take 9 hours 54 minutes. You will pass through Marsworth Locks (rise of 42 feet and 3 inches) and through Seabrook Locks (rise of 20 feet and 4 inches).

Second full day of trip

On the the Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line - Gayton to Brentford), at Junction with Old Stratford Arm. This is 19 miles, 1 furlong and 7 locks and will take 7 hours 26 minutes. You will pass through Soulbury Three Locks (rise of 20 feet and 3 inches).

Last day of trip

On the the Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line - Norton to Gayton), at Buckby Lock No 9. This is 22 miles, ¾ furlongs and 11 locks and will take 9 hours 15 minutes. You will pass through Blisworth Tunnel (3056 yards long).

Some of those are in my view long hard days for a single hander, (we often don't exactly hang about, but there are two of us!)

That first day could easily be slower than it suggests, particularly if you find many of those 24 locks not in your favour.

Your choice of where you are ending up seems a bit odd. I think in CanalPlanAC parlance "Buckby Lock 9" means stopping short of Buckby Lock 9, having passed through Lock 10. That would be a pretty odd pound to moor up in, particularly as it is the one where the West Coast Main Line passes noisily over it. Most people would carry on at least 2 more locks to be in the long pound below the top lock (Lock 7). That will probably add about half an hour more to that final day?

I would say few modern day leisure boaters push up this stretch as fast as you are planning, so I think the likelihood of finding someone wanting to share the whole trip with you is slim. I think, as suggested, you just need to set off and see how you fare. How experienced are you at single handing in these broad locks?

I find the the GU south locks about the easiest to do solo, what with the walkways across the gates, steps down and only one gate needed for a narrowboat. If the boat is shortish and not too heavy I find it much easier and quicker to pull the boat in and out of the locks by rope unless any gates happen to be open then I drive in. Much quicker than going up and down ladders all the time. All you need is a long heaving line fixed about a 3rd back from the bow end. You can also save a bit of fuel if you switch the engine off whilst doing this at locks.

Hope I'm ok posting this here.

Next week I need to get our boat to Long Buckby by Friday leaving from Berkhamstead

Problem is I will be single handed - so figured that if anyone else was heading north next week we could share locks for the some of the trip. The lock flights would be much easier with two boats.

My current plan is:

Berkhamstead to Leighton Buzzard

Leighton Buzzard to Cosgrove visitor moorings

Cosgrove to Long Buckby

If anyone is doing anything similar do let me know. I could break it up over five days but if I'm on my own I'd rather be in busier places overnight.

Thanks!

Doodlebug

From canal plan:

First full day of trip

On the the Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line - Gayton to Brentford), at Leighton Buzzard Bridge No 114. This is 14 miles, 3½ furlongs and 24 locks and will take 9 hours 54 minutes. You will pass through Marsworth Locks (rise of 42 feet and 3 inches) and through Seabrook Locks (rise of 20 feet and 4 inches).

Second full day of trip

On the the Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line - Gayton to Brentford), at Junction with Old Stratford Arm. This is 19 miles, 1 furlong and 7 locks and will take 7 hours 26 minutes. You will pass through Soulbury Three Locks (rise of 20 feet and 3 inches).

Last day of trip

On the the Grand Union Canal (Grand Junction Canal - Main Line - Norton to Gayton), at Buckby Lock No 9. This is 22 miles, ¾ furlongs and 11 locks and will take 9 hours 15 minutes. You will pass through Blisworth Tunnel (3056 yards long).

We are two and not speedy but experienced (so we usually pass locks fairly efficiently) and I would day that the first day is probably nearer 11 hours rather than 10 but the others are doable (by us) in those times.

Of course, it does depend on your ability to keep going for that long each day and I admit that we would take at least four days rather than three.

The other issue with your schedule is that you will arrive in LB late in the day and it may not be easy then to find a mooring. Myself, I would think of stopping short (say Grove or Church Lock area if you want a pub for the night) and making the second day a little longer.

Arriving late into the long pound just before the top of Buckby may well be OK as there seems at the moment (from what I have heard we were last there at the start of the season) to be less traffic but if it turned out to be full you are then a bit stuck depending where you want to go next as there is unlikely to be much room above the top lock and the junction. Remember also that the section from there to Braunston tunnel has few places where you can get close to the bank - OK if you are happy with a plank and quite a leap.

Thank you for the opinions. Much appreciated . I've decided to set off today giving me 4.5 days to get there.

I am now sat waiting to go through the marsworth flight after bulbourne so if I have a good crack at tomorrow and can get past leighton buzzard I should have three very relaxed days to do.

Thanks for making me reconsider!

Will head up past Buckby wharf I think as per advice.

Thanks!