To moor or not to moor - A & C nav

Bantam_dave21

Featured Posts

Hi,

Doing our first longer than a weekend trip this summer. Our marina is in Goole, we are planning to come down to Castleford and use Castleford as a turn around point and pop up to leeds, come back to castleford for supplies and use showers etc and then have a bobble to wakefield and perhaps down toward Horbury and hopefully steady away do it a week to ten days back to Goole.

Never having strayed much past Ferrybridge is there a thread anywhere of specific places not to moor over night or otherwise, where will be full etc and places of interest on our short route?

Hoping to go to thwaites mill and perhaps armouries if we can moor somewhere - I expect Leeds centre is busy for mooring....

Thank you

Hi,

Doing our first longer than a weekend trip this summer. Our marina is in Goole, we are planning to come down to Castleford and use Castleford as a turn around point and pop up to leeds, come back to castleford for supplies and use showers etc and then have a bobble to wakefield and perhaps down toward Horbury and hopefully steady away do it a week to ten days back to Goole.

Never having strayed much past Ferrybridge is there a thread anywhere of specific places not to moor over night or otherwise, where will be full etc and places of interest on our short route?

Hoping to go to thwaites mill and perhaps armouries if we can moor somewhere - I expect Leeds centre is busy for mooring....

Thank you

Woodlesford is a nice and safe place to moor.

Short(ish) walk to the shops.

We always like castleford too. The visitor moorings are safe but the walk to the town is a bit 'grim' but don't let that fool you it's not that bad.

If you moor near the sani station the best walk to the town is along the edge of the Aire.

I don't think the sani station at Castleford has a shower though I!m almost certain it is just a loo and an Elsan. Happy to be corrected on that though.

Woodlesford is a nice and safe place to moor.

Short(ish) walk to the shops.

We always like castleford too. The visitor moorings are safe but the walk to the town is a bit 'grim' but don't let that fool you it's not that bad.

If you moor near the sani station the best walk to the town is along the edge of the Aire.

I don't think the sani station at Castleford has a shower though I!m almost certain it is just a loo and an Elsan. Happy to be corrected on that though.

The photos on canalplan etc appear suggest no shower but CRT map appears to have two shower emblems, or what appear to look like showers that said Whitley lock has the same emblem and pretty certain theres no shower. NOt being a regular user of CaRT website I could just have wrong end of stick in terms of lack of a map key.

Will still probably look to use castleford as a mid point- handy being where it is, water up, empty porta loo etc and a nice little butcher in town :)

Hi

Castleford does indeed have a shower, sluice etc. Not a bad place to stay over night, and good for dog walks if you have one. Woodlesford is lovely but lacks facilities. In between is Lemonroyd which again is nice but the facilities there belong to the marina. If you are going down to Horbury, Kings Road is ok to moor (no facilities) or Stanley Ferry (showers, sluice etc). Horbury also has a shower etc at the residential moorings. You can moor up just outside.

Hi

Castleford does indeed have a shower, sluice etc. Not a bad place to stay over night, and good for dog walks if you have one. Woodlesford is lovely but lacks facilities. In between is Lemonroyd which again is nice but the facilities there belong to the marina. If you are going down to Horbury, Kings Road is ok to moor (no facilities) or Stanley Ferry (showers, sluice etc). Horbury also has a shower etc at the residential moorings. You can moor up just outside.

thanks for this info - was going to take a wonder down and have a look. Usually rely on my on boars shower but away for a week good to know there are facilities available - is there a special system in use for showers? Never seen a CRT facility with showers to know....

Hi

Just to mention that the Elsan at Lemonroyd is accessible to all boaters (or rather it always used to be) only the loo and showers are for marina moorers only.

Thanks for the correction on the shower at Castleford I honestly couldn't recall one being there.

MJG, yes you are correct about the sluice at Lemonroyd, although we haven't been up that way since last year.

The showers at Stanley Ferry, Castleford and Horbury are all just CRT key to get into the building, no leccy card needed unlike the majority of the showers nowadays.

MJG, yes you are correct about the sluice at Lemonroyd, although we haven't been up that way since last year.

The showers at Stanley Ferry, Castleford and Horbury are all just CRT key to get into the building, no leccy card needed unlike the majority of the showers nowadays.

Thanks for the info ref showers only requiring usual BW key...and the accessible Elsan at Lemonroyd...we're beginning to make a bit of a plan now boat.gifbiggrin.png

Really? I'm a regular user of CRT showers and I've never needed to use a card.

• Greenie 1