Top Ten Restoration Projects

Heartland

Featured Posts

If a list was to be made of the restoration schemes underway, or proposed, what canal would make the top ten of that list and why?

In alphabetical order here are some of the contenders:

Ashby, Bolton & Bury, Bradley, Chesterfield, Cromford, Derby, Grantham, Lancaster (Northern Reaches) Lichfield & Hatherton, Louth, Montgomery, Plaskynaston, Stroudwater, Thames & Severn, Uttoxeter, Wey & Arun, Whitchurch (with boat lift).

Please feel free to add more

Myself I would like to see a Frwydd Canal Restoration Group (FCRG) that would build a canal from Trevor to the Dee, but as this is not April 1st, may be this wont happen!

Edited by Heartland

Wilts & Berks, yes, an admirable restoration scheme. Is the North Wilts included, I wonder.

There are a few challenges to be met before the restoration is complete between the Thames and the K & A, though.

The Grantham is a marvelous opportunity to extend the Midlands cruising range - gorgeous countryside with the A46 culvert already in place.

The Chesterfield WILL be completed, as the team there are so good at doing things.

I also think the Lichfield and Hatherton will be completed, in some form or other as a link.

I would love the Lancaster Northern reaches to be done, as I lived up there as a kid and travelled it in my mind.

Saul Junction to Thames - probably in my lifetime.

Derby, Cromford, Uttoxeter, probably not,as the unstoppable spread of new housing estates will override planning considerations i feel.

Bradley is a fairly simple plan, Ashby re connection not so easy.

Speaking selfishly, the Lichfield (which should be seperated from the Hatherton in your list as they are entirely seperate projects). That would put a weekend trip to Anglesey basin and back on the cards for us, and really open up,the northern BCN.

Speaking selfishly, the Lichfield (which should be seperated from the Hatherton in your list as they are entirely seperate projects). That would put a weekend trip to Anglesey basin and back on the cards for us, and really open up,the northern BCN.

Completely agree.

Had a day trip on a friend's shareboat yesterday from Daw End to Anglesey Basin & back. Fantastically quiet waterways, the only boat we saw on the move was a canoe!

The Stafford Riverway is a restoration plan for a restoration, if one wants to be pedantic. The original river navigation was a private venture to replace the tramroad. This navigation was improved by Matthew Frost acting as contractor for the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal. There were some great hopes for this a few years back.

Runcorn Locks may count, but which ones, the original or the later version. One is more difficult and then there is the link through to Weaver, which would help boaters.

Also in this area is the old route to Frodsham Lock, what sort of potential does this have.

For the really dedicated a route probably easy to restore is the Arisaig Canal. but as to what sort of craft it may be of use for is another matter.

Anyway the list for consideration is growing

Ray Shill

Runcorn Locks may count, but which ones, the original or the later version. One is more difficult and then there is the link through to Weaver, which would help boaters.

I think "more difficult" is an understatement. Only the eastern flight, connecting directly to the ship cansal are restorable. The west flight and a substantial part of the Runcorn and Weston Canal have disappeared under development. Much has changed since John Seymour made the last recorded passage in the 60s, and that was after they had supposedly been closed.

I could give a lengthy discourse but here would be some of my top contenders

Through routes

Runcorn Locks (to link to the Weaver)

Cotswold

North Wilts/Western Wilts and Berks (to connect K and A to Cotswold)

Lichfield (as distinct from Hatherton)

Nene to Witham

Wey and Arun

Branches

Grantham

Sleaford (With Clay Dike this could make circle)

Somerset Coal (well I would wouldn't I!)

Dorset and Somerset to Frome (ditto!)

Stroudwater to Framilode

SU to Shrewsbury

Being realistic this is what I'd like to see in the next few years

Coal Canal to Combe Hay

Wilts and Berks to Calne

Ashby to Moira

Montgomery completed at least to link the isolated bits

Chesterfield extended at the Kiveton end

Some isolated options

Shrewsbury around Wappenshall

Wey and Arun from the Arun inland

St Helens

Ipswich and Stowmarket

I don't mean to offend anyone who's scheme I've left off, and the above isn't based on any detailed analysis - I have not yet worked on a restoration scheme that I would regard as "daft" although I can think of one or two that are! When push comes to shove they are seldom in competition with each other but with other regional economic, environmental and social development schemes

Is the coal canal to Combe Hey really a possibility? I have assumed some rather expensive properties would be very opposed given the mooring difficulties around the area. I have often sat in the Dundas cafe and thought how great it would be to actually have some boats going past.

Is the coal canal to Combe Hey really a possibility? I have assumed some rather expensive properties would be very opposed given the mooring difficulties around the area. I have often sat in the Dundas cafe and thought how great it would be to actually have some boats going past.

As Chairman of the Coal Canal Society I have to declare a vested interest, but yes it is...

Definately,Frodsham Lock. This would give the River Weaver a destinatiion. I know you can walk in to Frodsham from Sutton Swing bridge ,but its not really a" destination". Swing bridge,dredging and lock gates required. Love to see the old Runcorn flight of locks restored .IF,big IF the access road to Runcorn Bridge is removed,then both upper flights could in theory be restored..The access road to the college cuts across the bottom of the flight.Why is it that most expensive canal restoration projects are made much more difficult by infrastructure works by public bodies?

Frodsham Lock would appear to be a useful restoration scheme as the town is attractive and worth a visit. I agree it would become beneficial to boaters on the Weaver for moorings as well as a destination.

• 2 months later...