Braunston 2011 - Name that boat?

Featured Posts

I came across this stunning nice photo on JIm's blog, but it seems Jim's email address has since changed.

post-22620-0-45432500-1467853787_thumb.jpg

Could anyone please enlighten me to the name of this stunningly well presented boat, and also as to where I may find photo's of the rest of her?

Very much obliged

http://narrowboatstarcross.blogspot.it/2011_06_01_archive.html

Edited by dpaws

Many thanks Ian - I've had a nosey but can't find the same - well done for naming the other though! I've scoured the video of the same event that's posted on Youtube but again I can't spot her...

The bordeaux paint used for the mounting brackets I am sure will have been used further aft too... also the immaculate canvas and associated ropes should be fairly distinctive. The shape of those brackets - is it generic or does each builder have a "signature" design?

Are there enough clues there to suggest that she's a new build, for example? I assume so... Is that pattern of mooring stud common only to a certain era? Looks exactly the same as the ones glued to modern day hire boats....

The painted tunnel lantern - are there clues in the paint design that would suggest one painter in particular? There can't be too many traditional lantern painters around.

Not much boat in picture to say stunningly presented or have you put wrong pic up. The link gets to some boats but not sure if you mean one of them.

No, it is the correct photo, and it's the only one that I've found. The link goes the webpage where I found the photo, but it's the only one of that boat as far as I can tell.

With the level of attention paid to the cratch area I think it's a reasonable assumption that the rest of the boat will have been presented to the same standard... but I look forward to being proved wrong!

Edited by dpaws

Is this the Admiral you mean, or is it another one?

Not my photo, found it on the 'net, but thank you to the photographer.

Ex Barlow's No 51, 1957 No. according to Alan Faulkner's book.

Piccy's found on Google.

53d1bef60110b6ebda7a73cb60e9858c.jpg

img_0404_med_hr.jpeg

Or did you mean FMC Admiral?

539a5406ac4834521bb63a2a8519229a.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Is this the Admiral you mean, or is it another one?

Not my photo, found it on the 'net, but thank you to the photographer.

attachicon.gifadmiral.jpg

Ex Barlow's No 51, according to Alan Faulkner's book.

53d1bef60110b6ebda7a73cb60e9858c.jpg

I assume this Admiral to be the same: http://www.brinklowboatservices.com/wood-work/admiral/, (but she's not the one with the bike on her foredeck)

Edited by dpaws

I came across this stunning nice photo on JIm's blog, but it seems Jim's email address has since changed.

attachicon.gifbraunston 2011.JPG

Could anyone please enlighten me to the name of this stunningly well presented boat, and also as to where I may find photo's of the rest of her?

Very much obliged

This is a modern boat named LILLIAN

post-7931-0-83023400-1467888252_thumb.jpg

photograph copyright to Jon and Peta Millard (taken at Braunston 'Historic' Narrow Boat event 2011)

Lillian Built by Jonathan Wilson - Length : 17.98 metres ( 59 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.76 metres ( 2 feet 6 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 21 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 514961 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

edit = the bicycle can be seen on the fore end of LILLIAN

Edited by pete harrison

Wow - very well done Pete, thank you!

By happy co-incidence I'd just discovered that Tylers were somehow involved by recognising the distinctive bracket shape on one of their other builds

post-22620-0-46168200-1467889751_thumb.jpg

Edited by dpaws

also the immaculate canvas and associated ropes should be fairly distinctive.

The top plank looks rather wide and the side slope too steep for a genuine ex-working boat. It looks to me more like something configured for an under-sheets cabin. The very flat cloths suggest that they are resting on a structure beneath.

Are there enough clues there to suggest that she's a new build, for example? I assume so... Is that pattern of mooring stud common only to a certain era? Looks exactly the same as the ones glued to modern day hire boats....

The tee-stud does indeed look to be too clean, and it is welded to the stem iron. All suggests a modern (or much rebuilt) boat.

The painted tunnel lantern - are there clues in the paint design that would suggest one painter in particular? There can't be too many traditional lantern painters around.

That doesn't really help. An old lantern could be used on a new boat, or vice versa.

The link goes the webpage where I found the photo, but it's the only one of that boat as far as I can tell.

And the website says "Historic boat - historic bike". The latter may be correct, but the first isn't (unless it is referring to the boat with FMC cloths in the background). My guess is that this was a modern boat moored to the towpath to observe the historic boats, which is why it doesn't feature in other people's records of the event.

I agree with every word David, and so she proved to be!

Tyler Wilson often use 350mm or 400mm wide to give a little more space underneath. Ours will be 300mm / 12" - I think an original top plank is 11" wide?

The welding of the stud is sore subject - ours simply fell off under minimal side load - who ever had tried to weld/braze it originally had got it completely wrong. We were told that it would get glued back on! That unsettled me a little, I'd wrongly assumed that they'd be bolted through the deck at the very least.

Edited by dpaws

If you look at the flicker link below for 2012 I think your boat is right at the end. Lillian 514961 built by Johnathan Wilson.

Nailed it again, thank you! That pinterest page is fantastic, quite absorbing!

I've met 'Lillian' on a number of occasions often at historic get togethers and think the owners have connections to historic boats/boating and certainly to recent or current commercial boating operations.

If you look at the flicker link below for 2012 I think your boat is right at the end. Lillian 514961 built by Johnathan Wilson.

Had a look at your 2015 pictures and found the first ones I've seen of me steering Adamant.

I've met 'Lillian' on a number of occasions often at historic get togethers and think the owners have connections to historic boats/boating and certainly to recent or current commercial boating operations.

Thanks Chertsey - I'm not surprised, the boat is well presented and doff's a cap at her historical sisters. Nice people I'm sure :)