Working boat photo

NB Esk

Featured Posts

I recall seeing a photo of a working boat with it's gunwale underwater, the water being held back by the tarps. I mentioned this to some of the guy's on the wharf and they were fairly sceptical.

Can anyone point me to this image please? I've tried the usual searches with no luck, thanks......

A bit more detail would help. Was this a wide boat or a narrow boat? It is not uncommon for some barges to have the deck slightly awash due to the raised combings around the hold, narrow boats on the other hand would probably be sunk if that was the case.

I recall that poto .... or at least one like it.

I'll have a look through my books.

I seem to think it was a B&W photo and the water was kept outside by positioning a set of clothes diagonally from the top of the cratch to the gunwhale/top of the cabin to gunwhale.

I could of course be making all of this up as I have had a bottle or two of wine in the last 35 years.

I recall seeing a photo of a working boat with it's gunwale underwater, the water being held back by the tarps. I mentioned this to some of the guy's on the wharf and they were fairly sceptical.

Can anyone point me to this image please? I've tried the usual searches with no luck, thanks......

There are probably many such similar photos in existence, but one obvious boat that comes to mind would be the Willow Wren owned Station butty 'Dabchick', when Jack Monk had it.

Boatmen were paid on tonnage carried so everyone would always load to the maximum the cut would allow, but Jack always tended to load just that bit deeper than most did.

Station boats had virtually no 'dry side' [freeboard] with a decent load on because the hull sides weren't quite as deep as either a normal 5 plank wooden boat, or an FMC boat, or a little Woolwich/Northwich.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I would have thought that whilst a photo might have briefly captured a "gunwales under" moment, whilst in motion, it would not be possible to have a boat where this was permanently the case without it sinking.

Side cloths are not usually continuous, are they, so wherever they overlapped water would get in, and that is without even considering what happens at either extreme end of them where the come against the deck board or the cabin.

Edited by alan_fincher

Thanks for the replies so far.....I think it was a narrow boat and although it looked unsafe ( to me) the crew seemed to be acting as if it was an everyday situation. The boat looked to be making good headway.

It was a while ago and I think was on the forum but could have been elsewhere on the net. Thanks again....

Is this what happened shortly after the photo you refer to? ninja.gif

project-image-06.jpg

Not a narrowboat but I did a double take when I first saw this one come into harbour (Shoreham)

307%20South%20Coat%2019th%20April%202006

Tim