Wanted: crew & boat to be filmed working a lock

DavidExpert

Featured Posts

Can you help? A small fee is on offer :-)

I have been asked by a client to film a video about how a lock works, to be aimed at children. For this I need to find a willing boat and crew to be filmed.

The script is written and now I need to shoot it. This will involve me scurrying about at the top of a lock with a small camcorder while the boat goes through. I’ll be taking various shots at various angles of, for example, the gates being opened and closed, the paddles being operated and so on.

There is a slight complication from the fact that in order to get all the different shots, I really need the boat to go through the lock several times – BUT I reckon instead that if the boat goes down a lock flight ie at least 3 or 4 locks, I can get the variety of shots just by following it down the flight.

Furthermore, I will need time to get ready for each shot (focus, compose, exposure etc), so the boat being filmed and the people working the lock would need to be patient and wait for me to say “go” before doing each bit, rather than going through at normal pace. Obviously, if we were holding anyone up we’d need to let them go past.

I have a £50 fee available to the boat willing to help me on this (one boat only!). It’ll need to be a lock flight somewhere in the south midlands as that’s where I’m based so I’m thinking Hatton / Stockton / Braunston / Buckby or similar. I’d rather not do a staircase lock as that’ll just confuse things. Boat crew must be experienced lock hands.

If you are able and willing to do this (by the end of July ideally), please get in touch via http://cruisingthecut.co.uk/lock-filming/

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds exciting, but it depends how soon you need to film it. At present I am blocked in at Engine Arm Moorings due to an ongoing repair of the aquaduct. Otherwise I would be interested.

Sounds exciting, but it depends how soon you need to film it. At present I am blocked in at Engine Arm Moorings due to an ongoing repair of the aquaduct. Otherwise I would be interested.

The query was made 26 days ago and the OP wanted to do the job before the end of July, which is in five days' time. Given that one CWFer has sent him a P.M. I suspect that he is now "sorted", though it would be pleasant if he would let us know.

Edited by Athy

• 4 weeks later...

The query was made 26 days ago and the OP wanted to do the job before the end of July, which is in five days' time. Given that one CWFer has sent him a P.M. I suspect that he is now "sorted", though it would be pleasant if he would let us know.

Fair point and apologies for not updating here. All sorted and filmed now, thank you.

Regards

David