Grassman

Featured Posts

I know we've all from time to time had the same inane questions from the non-boating public, I suppose the most common being 'how do you keep warm in winter?'

But the other day I had one that I'd never been asked before which was 'how the hell do you manage to stand up in there?'

I must admit I had a job to stifle my sniggering.

So how about you others? I'd love to hear some of the questions and comments that you've had from them over the years.

I had a similar one in that the lady stated that she couldn't stand the crawling. She thought the floor was at the same level as the back deck, and was astonished when I showed her the inside!

"Where's the other half of your boat?" was a regular. (Our boat was 24ft.)

I get that too - what have you done with the rest of it? 23 ft.

More generally, I quite like it when asked questions, even some of the ones that may seem silly to experienced canal users (we all had to begin somewhere). I especially like it when people want to know more about operating a lock - invariably the reaction when offered the chance to help is conformation of all that is best about human nature.

When it is young children, we take the vie that getting them involved now, understanding what it is about, is perhaps just a tiny bit towards making them less likely to vandalise it later.

It is rather remarkable to see the almost child-like enthusiasm of adults when given the same opportunity.

In both cases, explaining what is happening engages people in a delightful and rewarding way. Many a time I have seen an unpromising group hanging around a lock but whose manner changes fundamentally when asked to help. There is nothing like being in need of assistance to bring out the best in people.

I had a girl on the Wey ask how I could get through the lock as there was a brick wall (the cill) at the upper end. I had to point out that the boat would float on the water when I filled the lock....

I had a girl on the Wey ask how I could get through the lock as there was a brick wall (the cill) at the upper end. I had to point out that the boat would float on the water when I filled the lock....

We should always bear in mind that many of these questions - and I always welcome the opportunity to engage with such people - come from those for whom this is perhaps the first time they have ever seen a lock (or whatever) in action.

When we had a share in "Oberon", I got fed up with people asking "where is Titania".

In the end I used the standard reply, "on one of the moons of Uranus".

Mainly got strange looks to that!

of nb Take Five frequently generates comments like, "fan of Dave Brubeck!" - we did not name it and as far as we were told it was definitely not thus named (first owners had three children . . . )

of nb Take Five frequently generates comments like, "fan of Dave Brubeck!" - we did not name it and as far as we were told it was definitely not thus named (first owners had three children . . . )

If I had a tenner for every time some body shouted -

"Are you still in it then...?" or similar, I would be a very rich man.

(It of course being 'The Dog House')

Over the years I suppose I've had most of the questions already mentioned, and I always tried to answer kindly and explain what was going on - except for the one that always stirred the fire - 'How much was it?' - normal response was 'None of your xxxxxx business'

eta - although once when a japanese tourist walked on the front, down the stairs and proceeded to take my picture as I sat at the table, the nearest thing to hand was a banana in the fruit bowl, so I threw it at him - the banana, not the bowl - with a request that he go forth and multiply.

Edited by Mike Tee

Over the years I suppose I've had most of the questions already mentioned, and I always tried to answer kindly and explain what was going on - except for the one that always stirred the fire - 'How much was it?' - normal response was 'None of your xxxxxx business'

eta - although once when a japanese tourist walked on the front, down the stairs and proceeded to take my picture as I sat at the table, the nearest thing to hand was a banana in the fruit bowl, so I threw it at him - the banana, not the bowl - with a request that he go forth and multiply.

Stratford Basin?

"Have you had it from new?"

In your case the answer must be "yes". smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

When I owned SANDBACH which has a a Bolinder 1052 four stroke twin engine fitted, I often had the following conversation.

Q. What sort of engine is it?

A. Bolinder.

Q. Ah! I thought so, they have a very distinctive sound them Bolinders.

George ex nb Alton retired

Funny today i was metal detecting by the canal and a few narrow boats passed - one chap steering shouted - "Do you ever find anything?" felt like saying no i do it for the fresh air, then on the way back to the car i heard a boater tell his wife i had a geiger counter, i enjoy detecting the field by this canal as i meet some great charachters and often have a passing chat.

i thought of this thread and smiled - asking questions is human nature and better than been silent passing each other by,

Only this morning I engaged an elderly lady in conversation. She was walking her undocked cocker spaniel along the towpath.

"I had an argument ith someone.the other day, " she said " I told him that this is not a canal it's a river. You can tell that because there is a flow of water down it and canals are still."

I agreed - we are on the Stort Navigation - and told her that you do get a bit of flow down a canal.

"Do you?" quoth she.

"Yes, the locks us a lot of water so there is often a flow down a canal."

"I knew that, but I thought that the water just flowed round and round."

I suppose that she though that the water flowed in the same way as that Escher drawing

I then told her about reservoirs and back pumping.

Edited by Theo
Add the last line

Only this morning I engaged an elderly lady in conversation. She was walking her undocked cocker spaniel along the towpath.

"I had an argument ith someone.the other day, " she said " I told him that this is not a canal it's a river. You can tell that because there is a flow of water down it and canals are still."

I agreed - we are on the Stort Navigation - and told her that you do get a bit of flow down a canal.

"Do you?" quoth she.

"Yes, the locks us a lot of water so there is often a flow down a canal."

"I knew that, but I thought that the water just flowed round and round."

I suppose that she though that the water flowed in the same way as that Escher drawing

I then told her about reservoirs and back pumping.

Its called Back Pumping

Funny today i was metal detecting by the canal and a few narrow boats passed - one chap steering shouted - "Do you ever find anything?" felt like saying no i do it for the fresh air, then on the way back to the car i heard a boater tell his wife i had a geiger counter, i enjoy detecting the field by this canal as i meet some great charachters and often have a passing chat.

i thought of this thread and smiled - asking questions is human nature and better than been silent passing each other by,

Very true. Conversation is good. A nice comforting exchange of the obvious that no one can disagree with. Reminds me of the description of the ideal after dinner speech in the first chapter of The Fellowship of the Ring.