Storing spare electrical cable

Featured Posts

Will spare electrical cable (of various diameters) be damaged by storing them in waterproof boxes outdoors?

I'm having a tidy up of my tool cupboard and could do with the extra space inside it. But I don't want to put my spare lengths/rolls of cable outside only to find the extreme temperatures ruin them after a few years.

What do you reckon?

If the conductors are tinned (silvery) then they should definitely be OK. If they are just copper then if damp gets in the damp might wick along the conductors and cause corrosion. In the past I have had to cut away over a metre before I found conductors with no corrosion and that was on a working circuit on a boat - actually i had to cut it back because the circuit had stopped working.

If you seal the cable in polybags then you put an extra barrier for the damp. maybe dip the cut ends in molten candle wax as well.

Tony's answer is correct.

If the conductors are untinned copper, and moisture gets in, they can corrode internally over a considerable length.

In fact on Sickle there was a very long length (maybe 15 metres) of good quality sheathed twin cable I thought I could reuse elsewhere. It had proved to be corroded throughout its entire length. (I would not have though it possible until I witnessed it).

So wetness is the risk, not temperature - keep moisture out, and you will be fine.

Encircle the boat with it, in de-gauzing fashion. It will confuse any incoming torpedo attacks aimed at you and enable you to pass over magnetic mines without them realizing and activating them to pop up and blowing you to kingdom come.. closedeyes.gif

Edited by bizzard

I don't intend it to be seen and there are no very long lengths to make it worth nicking. They're just useful bits to me.

Thanks for your advice, everyone.

Copper theives don't care how long it is, just how much copper in total it represents.

I would suggest he following :-

1) Protect it from direct sunlight as this may affect the outer casing.

2) I agree with Tony about the wicking, it is usual to seal the ends with pvc tape or similar to prevent moisture ingress.