Anyone know of a boating family Costello?

Arphamoe

Featured Posts

During a catch-up call, a friend mentioned that her grandmother Costello was from a working boating family in Derbyshire but knows little more. Her childhood memories of her were of her wearing the white bonnet but little more information than that.

I have had a quick search to see if I could find any info but no luck so far. Is there anyone out there who might point me in the right direction?

During a catch-up call, a friend mentioned that her grandmother Costello was from a working boating family in Derbyshire but knows little more. Her childhood memories of her were of her wearing the white bonnet but little more information than that.

I have had a quick search to see if I could find any info but no luck so far. Is there anyone out there who might point me in the right direction?

As you probably know, Costello is an old Irish name, but there were already several thousand people with that name living in England by the time of the 1881 census.

I have conducted a search of the census and there are no Costellos recorded as being boatmen or any other occupation associated with canals at that time, and very few Costello families living in Derbyshire. Of course not finding people with itinerant occupations in the 1881 census is not unusual, even though they were careful to try and find as many as possible, so your friends ancestors may have been one of the families who were not recorded.

Jeanette Smith Harrison (of this forum) has undertaken a vast amount of research into Booating families so she would be worth contacting.

Edited by David Schweizer