Keel Black

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, casper ghost said:

I was chatting with a boat painter only yesterday, he raves about the stuff. He says it dries very hard and it's no good putting your brushes in water as they go hard anyway. Rubbing strakes are there to take the knocks so any paint on them tends to get scraped off. Time will tell, I guess, though our family tend to think anything below the water is purely cosmetic anyway and bare steel would last just ad well.

I am also in dock putting this stuff on right now... So we shall see, it certainly goes on easily..

casp'

I wont say good luck because from John and mines experience you wont need it. Johns boat was badly pitted so as an inspection John had load of people stand on one side whilst he inspected the keelblack one year on its still present so he rates that as a success same as me. Next year will be the judge though as we drydock them both to redo them

I'll stick with comastic. Hull was grit blasted and coated with comastic 23 years ago when I first got the boat....it had been neglected before I brought it...I've blacked it every 2-3 years since including the baseplate and it passed a hull survey last week with flying colours...no active pits etc...now 34 years old with no overplating on 6/6/4 shell. Sometimes wonder products are not quite what they seem. 

I should point out that when Rose boats did the blacking 3 years ago with Intertuf they did an excellent  job. The problem  could be with learning to use new technology or the new technology  aint as good as the claims. Time will tell.

TC