Keel Black

Featured Posts

I was at the stand in Crick chatting to the owner of the company it was very easy to use and dried very hard. My boat is out in August for other work but I will be putting two coats of keel black on as my Zinger blacking has gone silver in the sun!! Another member on here has used it and liked it, do a search I am sure you will find it

An expensive form of blacking which, at the moment, has more people trying to sell it than have actually used it.

Anodes below the waterline, next to the ones that are degraded, no need to remove old part ones, they will continue to work until gone.

An expensive form of blacking which, at the moment, has more people trying to sell it than have actually used it

How have you reached those conclusions?

In my view.

1. I didnt find it expensive

2. Im only aware of keelblack being sold by the company keelblack

Ive used it, put it on last year. It is a great product.

Total cost just £50 and I saved 2 days drydock costs as the whole process took just 2.5 days from going into drydock to leaving it.

I used 9 litres to do 2 full coats on a 70 foot boat.

Previous thread discussed it quite well here.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=85020&hl=

Edited by Blazeaway

How have you reached those conclusions?

In my view.

1. I didnt find it expensive

2. Im only aware of keelblack being sold by the company keelblack

Ive used it, put it on last year. It is a great product.

Total cost just £50 and I saved 2 days drydock costs as the whole process took just 2.5 days from going into drydock to leaving it.

I used 9 litres to do 2 full coats on a 70 foot boat.

Previous thread discussed it quite well here.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=85020&hl=

Have you pulled the boat out and looked at it, What will it be like when its been under water for 2 to 3 years, that's the time to say its great. I remember a friend who filled the wings on his Ford Consul with Pollyfiller and sprayed them in with an aerosol. That looked a good job but I bet the new owner didn't agree a year later.

I'm not saying its not a good product.

I'm just saying that the business owner came on here under false pretences giving his "views" on its success on the product - views taken directly from his website - virtuallly word for word.

The one NAMED reference on his website PoohSticks" has also been on here several times with glowing reports.

There are two other waterways businesses cited on the website - neither named.

Have you pulled the boat out and looked at it, What will it be like when its been under water for 2 to 3 years, that's the time to say its great. I remember a friend who filled the wings on his Ford Consul with Pollyfiller and sprayed them in with an aerosol. That looked a good job but I bet the new owner didn't agree a year later.

Agreed....I took the boat out last month and can report that 1 year on and its all fine and dandy. What I also found encouraging is that what little weed growth there was came off really easily. This boat is my home so looking after it is very important to me. I will be using Keelblack when I next black the boat.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just to resurrect this topic - things may not be as they appear in this thread. It is reported that KeelBlack has not taken to some boats (mine included) and I would urge caution when deciding which product to use on your boat. I am investigating further next week and will, hopefully, have some further information to share.

• 2 months later...
On 2017-3-24 at 10:19, DaveR said:

Just to resurrect this topic - things may not be as they appear in this thread. It is reported that KeelBlack has not taken to some boats (mine included) and I would urge caution when deciding which product to use on your boat. I am investigating further next week and will, hopefully, have some further information to share.

Do you have anything further to report on this Dave?

Keith

I had my boat done with Keelblack back in March, its pretty much gome from the rear starboard rubbing strip after 90 hrs cruising and 135 locks.  The rest seems fine.  A man from Keelblack has come to look at it and is blaming the company that did the application ( Rose boats)He does have a point in that only about half the expected amount of blackingvwas used. Apparently companies who normally use conventional  blacking tend to apply it too thin and put it back in the water too soon. So if you do use it go to someone with experience with the stuff, Rose had only done one boat with it before mine.

I will be discussing the situation with Rose boats once I have a report from Keekblack, but I'm not  expecting to  get much of a positive  response.

Any one want to buy 12.5 litres of Keekblack? Should do a 60' boat, pm me if interested.

Top Cat

IMG_20170523_164220098.jpg

It's  difficult to  say, I have a habit when ascending narrow locks to get off the starboard  side  leave the boat in gear, putting the tiller over that way so the boat drives itself out.  But that does scrape the rubbing strip.  However I have been doing that for years and the previous Intertuf blacking seemed to last very well in that location. The other rubbing strips are only slightly worn. I have found no evidence of flaking.

My key point was go to someone with experience in  using the stuff, having only half the expected amount applied can't  be good.

T C

Top Cat

This is really really silly. I myself am not convinced about keelblack, but any blacking (including the very best epoxy) does not last 135 locks on a rubbing strake (guard iron) it stays on till you go through the first lock (if you are lucky). The clue is in the name...Rubbing strake....Guard Iron.

Old boats were made of riveted iron and over time the complete heads of the rivets got worn away.

..............Dave

I am glad you responded Rose N, the product is not fully tested, is not able to be used as per it's original advertising blurb and is also not suitable for boats where contact with the sides is a regular occurrence. 

The product may have seagoing uses,  or be suitable for stationary vessels ( floating restaurants,  pontoons or similar on rivers), but as a narrowboat covering as advertised, doesn't work.

Mine has been on a year now its over zinger blacking so very smooth i used a short haired brush to apply it and it goes on fast. Mine is holding up well considering the scrapes it receives I did touch it up but Keelblack only has a can life of six months so its gone off.

Now I will use it again next year it is for me purely cosmetic as the boat is well protected by the zinger I cannot believe that Rose boats has not put it on right as it really is the easiest stuff in the world to apply, I think the problem is that rubbing strakes get rubbed, I mean is someone ground down my backside with 17 tons I am sure it would clean and shiny!!

I was chatting with a boat painter only yesterday, he raves about the stuff. He says it dries very hard and it's no good putting your brushes in water as they go hard anyway. Rubbing strakes are there to take the knocks so any paint on them tends to get scraped off. Time will tell, I guess, though our family tend to think anything below the water is purely cosmetic anyway and bare steel would last just ad well.

I am also in dock putting this stuff on right now... So we shall see, it certainly goes on easily..

casp'

Edited by casper ghost
fat fingers v tiny phone..