booking a Black Prince boat through Waterways holidays

thewomble

Featured Posts

We are a family of 4 and we have been planning a weeks trip on the Llangollen in late August. I have been hanging off booking as the prices were a bit more than our budget allows, but I notice some discounts have come available and I am prepared to bite the bullet and book something. I am looking at a 52 ft boat from Black Prince, setting off from Chirk. I figure we can go towards Llangollen and travel the aqueducts, then on our return go as far as we can manage past Chirk before we need to turn around.

But I am just having last minute panic about booking. Is Black Prince a good company to hire from? This is a one off opportunity for us.

Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks

I used to moor at the Black Prince centre at Acton Bridge on the Trent & Mersey. This was a number of years ago.

Th hire boats from their were very well maintained and their set out appeared very user friendly for families.vI cannot speak for Chirk.

You are choosing a super canal but expect it to be very busy in August!

Enjoy

Black Prince's canal based fleets appear to have relatively new boats that are well maintained and well presented. Despite living in close proximity to their 'home' base at Stoke Prior I have never hired from them though.

They are one of the three large hire companies (ABC and Anglo-Welsh being the others) and as such I suspect have a consistent and decent level of service. I have hired from ABC numerous times from different bases and always been satisfied. I suspect there is little between those three.

JP

Black Prince are fine, they tend to have quite a new fleet and replace all their boats regularly. They are clean , comfortable and practical, not the most luxurious afloat but really nice boats. Personally I find the galley arrangement a bit small as tyou can only really get one person in the galley area but that's just me.

The steering position is good and high so you get a good view from the tiller.

Black Prince are fine but I think Anglowelsh at Trevor are a bit cheaper. Whatever company you go with, Llangollen is a must see destination complete with steam railway.

From Trevor you could go to Llangollen first (4hrs) spend the next day there & then cruise for half of you're week before returning to Trevor. A Pearsons guide would be useful to give you guidance on timings.

http://www.anglowelsh.co.uk/

Edited by Flyboy

Hired from them many years ago. Black Prince boats are well maintained and they seem to put a lot of thought into their boats for the hirers who use them.

As someone mentioned, they are not the most luxurious inside compared to some smaller hire fleets but they are practical, modern, clean and tidy.

If your budget is tight, you may find cheaper alternatives with smaller firms operating older boats.

We hired from them for two weeks last year to do the Avon ring from Tardebigge. Great boat and it all went very smoothly. We're hiring from them again at Napton this August.

Graham

Which company is that Graham?

I am assuming you mean Black Prince but their base on the Worcs & Birmingham canal is at Stoke Prior. Anglo-Welsh are actually at Tardebigge so it isn't entirely obvious from your post.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Which company is that Graham?

I am assuming you mean Black Prince but their base on the Worcs & Birmingham canal is at Stoke Prior. Anglo-Welsh are actually at Tardebigge so it isn't entirely obvious from your post.

JP

My mistake! It was definitely Black Prince at Stoke Prior.

G