Olympic Park Cruise, anyone?

Theo

Featured Posts

No because you could cruise through and just not be allowed to moor up anyway.

Although it may sound unbelievable I think the Olympic site is still being dismantled :banghead:

and there is a lot of residential construction going on. This may be why the waterways there have been closed for so long.

Possibly.

Although it may sound unbelievable I think the Olympic site is still being dismantled frusty.gif

Not unbelievable at all really, we were still using up bits & pieces well into 2013 and some items in 2014.

But we had to have all our kit off site by a certain date after the games had finished, I'm thinking it was something like 4 - 6 weeks. I just thought it would be the same for all suppliers to the events.

Crossrail construction is still underway, and is still blocking the circular route (the railway bridge on city mill river).

I knew SG would know. Any far flung or little known waterway ..... ask SG :)

Edited by mark99

I don't understand what that canal is not open for us to use all the time? The Olympics have been over now for over 3 years; what's the issue with us using it?

Is that where the worlds longest slide is being opened tomorrow?

Is that where the worlds longest slide is being opened tomorrow?

and closed a day later for 6 months work at a cost of £3.8m due to someone getting a friction burn on their fingers because they didnt observe the signage that said.........Don't enjoy yourselves....safely

We are going!

Are you being mad and also doing the tideway bit? If yes then see you there!

Sorry that I haven't been around for a bit.

Answer: No. Don't entirely trust the old BMC 1.5 without a lot of preparation and thoughts about safety.

85 boats now expected, of which 40 are hoping to also tackle the tideway from Bow to Deptford Creek & Limehouse.

Good views from 1400 in the Olympic Park, and about 1600 from Blackwall Point and then from Greenwich and Deptford (could be an interesting traffic jam!)

Just had a good revise of the tidal information. I was wanting to find out how much extra warp I need to add to cope with the depth of Bow Creek. We don't have the option of more chain just now but we can triple the length of the warp by bending on some spare ropes that we have. I haven't had the need of a double sheet bend for years!

We are gently approaching the meeting place at about four hours cruising a day. We are still on the very beautiful Stort just above Hunsden Mill Lock this evening.

N

Just had a good revise of the tidal information. I was wanting to find out how much extra warp I need to add to cope with the depth of Bow Creek. We don't have the option of more chain just now but we can triple the length of the warp by bending on some spare ropes that we have. I haven't had the need of a double sheet bend for years!

We are gently approaching the meeting place at about four hours cruising a day. We are still on the very beautiful Stort just above Hunsden Mill Lock this evening.

N

Here's my small contribution to the organisation (for the 42 boats venturing onto Bow Creek!). You are number 36G.

post-13477-0-10526100-1468005150_thumb.jpg

I had a 40 foot boat booked (boat name Cobo) but will not be able to go so if there is anyone else who wants the place last minute it might be available. I had originally booked the qeop and the tidal bit as well.

I emailed the Londonlegacy organiser Steven Wilding about it a few days ago to cancel my place. Hopefully it will be a nice day for it :)

Edited by magnetman

Here's my small contribution to the organisation (for the 42 boats venturing onto Bow Creek!). You are number 36G.

attachicon.gifDSCF7979.JPG

Kind of you to post that!

Christine from nb Katura called in a bit ago with lots of laminated information.

It all sounds great fun and very interesting. We will stay on the mooring until Sunday lunchtime so that we can visit one of the Three tideMills. Then it's off down the Limehouse Cut as our first visit to Limehouse Basin in ten years.