Olympic Park Cruise, anyone?

Theo

Featured Posts

Will you get as far as London City Island Leamouth?

I am afraid not. The plan was for about 30 boats (out of the total of 60) to go down Bow Creek and then via Deptford Creek to Limehouse. Unfortunately it was too windy so we just pootled around the Olympic Park. Good fun - a few photos here.

We just got back from France (by train :) )and yes it is rather windy in Limehouse!! The River around the isle of dogs is very rough if its at all windy. Shame that the trip didn't go ahead but it would have definitely been a bit naughty for all but the most battle hardened narrowboaters

We just got back from France (by train smile.png )and yes it is rather windy in Limehouse!! The River around the isle of dogs is very rough if its at all windy. Shame that the trip didn't go ahead but it would have definitely been a bit naughty for all but the most battle hardened narrowboaters

I agree. Not a day for your first tideway cruise, especially in such a large convoy

Interesting article in July WW about taking a narrowboat to France. The boat concerned came with us on the Medway trip, as far as Queenborough, and then made a dash for it....

I am afraid not. The plan was for about 30 boats (out of the total of 60) to go down Bow Creek and then via Deptford Creek to Limehouse. Unfortunately it was too windy so we just pootled around the Olympic Park. Good fun - a few photos here.

We only pootled half of tthe Olympic Park. By the time everyone had winded at the end of the western bit and we had returned to do the Eastern bit the tide was apparently too high for the bridges. So the bits that we didn't do were Bow Creek and half the Olympic Park. Disappointing. sad.png

Nick

That's bad luck. It would have been this bridge, which is the lowest (northern outfall sewer).

This section is no longer tidal, the issue is the amount of fresh water coming down the Lea - Waterworks is the main channel to the Thames. Either side of high tide the tide is above the level of the river and so the fresh water has nowhere to go, and this will I think be what caused the headroom to reduce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mills_Lock

There is a similar effect on the Ely Ouse: although it is not tidal, the water level does fluctuate on an approx 12 hour cycle: see here,

dscf8023.jpg

I went down to the mouth of Deptford Creek to give you all a wave. I was not surprised that the Thames part was cancelled....lots of boats bobbing up and down, not narrowboat conditions.

• Greenie 1

That's bad luck. It would have been this bridge, which is the lowest (northern outfall sewer).

This section is no longer tidal, the issue is the amount of fresh water coming down the Lea - Waterworks is the main channel to the Thames. Either side of high tide the tide is above the level of the river and so the fresh water has nowhere to go, and this will I think be what caused the headroom to reduce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mills_Lock

There is a similar effect on the Ely Ouse: although it is not tidal, the water level does fluctuate on an approx 12 hour cycle: see here,

dscf8023.jpg

A very clear explanation. Thank you.

We might get around to trying again but there are so many fun things to do on the waterways that you can't get to do them all, even if you live aboard and cruise a thousand miles a year!

Nick

Edited by Theo
To remove the double quote.