Swapping engines.. Some pics of progress.

Featured Posts

Refitted the injector as it was tested and found to be fine. Sorted the diesel return pipes, as the previous owner had used plastic which had kinked and was blocked, just need to make a bracket to hold the tub to collect the return diesel in.

Drained off some diesel from the day tank and left it to settle, it had some water in the bottom and some dirt, but the rest was nice and clear, even so I decided to remove the day tank to clean it out. Once removed I turned it over to see what the diesel was like below the take-off pipe, it was not good,

post-6533-0-65941400-1476032290_thumb.jpg

Brown, mud like... Quite a lot of it.. I made this tank about 6 years ago, and it was, obviously, clean then, so can't see why it should have so much crud in it now.. Is this diesel bug or just crud? The rest of the diesel above it was nice and clear, which makes me think it isn't bug...

I think I will cut the bottom off the tank so I can clean it thoroughly and fit a lower section with a drain in for future use.

post-6533-0-21730000-1476032553_thumb.jpg

Casp'

I cut the bottom from the day tank and gave it a good clean out..

post-6533-0-39341100-1476453493_thumb.jpg

I didn't realise that when I made the tank I only put the take off pipe about half an inch into the tank, I thought I had allowed about 3" for crud..

Then made a new bottom with a lower section and a drain plug.

post-6533-0-50820800-1476453509_thumb.jpg

Casp'

And with a bit of paint.. I haven't bothered to grind the welds flush, I don't mind them showing and I've tested them with paraffin so I know they don't leak.

post-6533-0-78222500-1476617663_thumb.jpg

I also made a simple bracket to hold the fuel return tank, and I had to move the thread on the air filter as it wouldn't fit on now I've altered the exhaust manifold. I just made a new bottom for the filter housing.

post-6533-0-50781700-1476617702_thumb.jpg

Casp'

• 6 months later...

I haven't logged on here for a while, but there has been some progress, though I haven't been on the boat as much as i'd like. I have bought a spare engine exactly the same, which is now sitting in the shed. It's in good condition and a good runner.

Here's a video of the first chug with this little engine.

Casp'

I have also bought another Ruston 1VSH off someone, I had been nagging them to sell it me for years and they decided to sell it me only 6 months after I had bought another one. But I still bought it, it'll be handy as a spare or just for the parts, even though it is fully working.. 

33226369865_9e9ab3b5c3_z.jpgWP_20170302_13_56_53_Pro by ghost.hut1, on Flickr

I arrived like this, and the 990 pound engine promptly made a mess of my engine lift, bending the legs, which I had welded on to widen it!

32401335234_833842173f.jpgWP_20170304_12_08_20_Pro by ghost.hut1, on Flickr

The offending parts cut off..

33089181442_67f7494d66_z.jpgWP_20170304_14_34_40_Pro by ghost.hut1, on Flickr

Much stronger steel welded back in..

32625842126_3b169244e9_z.jpgWP_20170202_12_16_50_Pro by ghost.hut1, on Flickr

To give me some chance of moving the engine about in the garage I made a steerable trolley for it, but on the gravel drive it just dug in and we had to push it with the car and use long poles to guide it. To lighten it, I removed one of the 135kg flywheels. Which wasn't too difficult. Just a flat bit of thick steel with two 12mm threads tapped into it and bolts which pulled/pushed the gib key off, then a puller, extended with some more steel bar, pulled the flywheel off easily.. 

32504815994_ab3b7b1281_n.jpgWP_20170309_13_02_22_Pro by ghost.hut1, on Flickr

32607707693_586000c9af_n.jpgWP_20170313_16_06_11_Pro by ghost.hut1, on Flickr

Getting it into the garage seemed to hard, so I put it into the bin shed, the bins will have to live elsewhere... At some point I will make some steel channels the right width to act as a railway track which will enable me to easily pull the engine out over the gravel...

This was a little diversion from actually doing any real boat work...

Casp'

WP_20170302_13_56_53_Pro.jpg

Edited by casper ghost
Tried to delete the very large attached picture, but I couldn't work out how...

Chugged for about 3 hours today.. The boat is really slow, the engine isn't revving much with this big propeller, and my chain throttle link isn't working; the chain is still coming off and then slipping..more work needed to sort it. The silencer I made, which makes the engine sound lovely at low revs, sounds deafening when the engine is working in gear so I think I will swap it for the Fordson Major silencer I had with the previous engine. Fitting a smaller propeller this week so I'll see how it goes with that, but probably won't be faster, just more smooth.. To gain more speed I may end up changing the governor weights so it revs to 1500 rpm, like the marine version did.
It's all a bit trial and error, it'll either end up working or I'll end up fitting an HA2 instead...though I quite fancy an FR2...

16 minutes ago, casper ghost said:

Chugged for about 3 hours today.. The boat is really slow, the engine isn't revving much with this big propeller, and my chain throttle link isn't working; the chain is still coming off and then slipping..more work needed to sort it. The silencer I made, which makes the engine sound lovely at low revs, sounds deafening when the engine is working in gear so I think I will swap it for the Fordson Major silencer I had with the previous engine. Fitting a smaller propeller this week so I'll see how it goes with that, but probably won't be faster, just more smooth.. To gain more speed I may end up changing the governor weights so it revs to 1500 rpm, like the marine version did.
It's all a bit trial and error, it'll either end up working or I'll end up fitting an HA2 instead...though I quite fancy an FR2...

Was the hotel pair behind you today

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Was the hotel pair behind you today

I set off behind them but I got delayed as my Dad's boat was firmly stuck in its mooring as the water level was low.. I went passed them when they stopped for lunch, then they went passed me when I stopped at Welshampton, where I still am..

1 hour ago, casper ghost said:

I'd suggest fitting the same diameter blade but smaller pitch, in order to maintain braking ability. 

Bear in mind the full 9hp is only delivered at max revs so yes a smaller blade will help. What rpm is it achieving now??

Saw a boat last weekend at Ricky about 45ft with a 9hp JP1. That seemed to go reasonably well. 

I'd also say making yours over-rev is possibly asking for trouble. The 1500rpm versions probably have a stronger crankshaft and con rod, and possibly a whole host of other improvements to allow the faster speed. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

It went better today as some reeds came out the back as I set off.. I'll try the smaller propeller and see how it goes. This vsh is limited to 1000 rpm which makes 7.5hp.. I haven't totally given up on it yet, but I'm not against keeping an eye out for something more suitable to boating..

in dry dock now, swapped propeller for one the same diameter but a smaller pitch. Noticed some water on the edge of the head gasket, the previous owner used it as a vintage show engine and he had recently had the head off, hopefully it just needs the nuts torqueing down. Oil is fine and it isn't using water. I do have a new head gasket that I got by chance as a handy spare..

On 5/28/2017 at 23:04, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd suggest fitting the same diameter blade but smaller pitch, in order to maintain braking ability. 

Bear in mind the full 9hp is only delivered at max revs so yes a smaller blade will help. What rpm is it achieving now??

Saw a boat last weekend at Ricky about 45ft with a 9hp JP1. That seemed to go reasonably well. 

I'd also say making yours over-rev is possibly asking for trouble. The 1500rpm versions probably have a stronger crankshaft and con rod, and possibly a whole host of other improvements to allow the faster speed. 

That's my friends Boat with the Jp1, it's a lovely little engine. I recently rebuilt the top end for him which made quite a difference to the performance. 

• 1 month later...

Just realised I hadn't put an update on, so.. The new prop is much better, the engine no longer shakes the boat to pieces when in gear. I have also changed the chain throttle and that now does the revs fine, since doing this I can now get the engine to rev both slower and faster, appears the old system, which I fitted too, limited the revs to only the mid range..

A chap who works on these engines suggested that I swap the throttle spring for a solid bar, or a stiffer spring as that will allow more revs. To test this I removed the rocker cover and, with the engine running, I manually pulled the throttle arm, the engine certainly will rev higher so it's an option if I decide the boat is too slow, though I haven't chugged with the new throttle setup, which allows for higher revs than I had before anyway..

The head gasket is fine, just tightened 2 of the nuts..

Next on the list is to find a way to get the engine up to temperature quicker..

Casp'

Edited by casper ghost
  • Greenie 1

Your video showed your boat going under a lift bridge, after which, with no change in note you slowed and quite quickly spun round and returned from whence you came.

I suggested you had caught your braces on the bridge, an understandable assumption I felt given the evidence ........ perhaps not.