Swapping engines.. Some pics of progress.

Featured Posts

Crane???

Bridge + block & tackle is all that's needed

I'd need a high bridge as the engine has to be lowered in through the roof. Also the engine weighs 850 lbs, so it's a game just getting it out of the trailer and onto the front deck (though we could manage that) before we can hang it off a bridge. It isn't a big crane we used , it's a sort of tractor crane thing, but it can lift 3.5 ton and is very controllable.

Casp'

• 1 month later...

Crane returned this weekend so we lifted the engine in. Now to connect it all up. Unfortunately nothing is in the same place, with the starter motor bracket looking like providing the most fun to adjust..

If I can manage to get the pics off my camera and onto this laptop I'll add some later..

Casp'

post-6533-0-30346300-1470080596_thumb.jpg

We towed Casper up the canal behind Badger; which is a 31 year old, 66 foot boat built by my Dad. Badger only has a 1963 Lister SL2, which isn't much power for a 22 ton boat, but it seems to chug along ok, albeit a little slow..

post-6533-0-62567100-1470080609_thumb.jpg

Having some difficulty getting more pictures to load at the mo..

Casp'

We took a few videos with different cameras and a phone, but on loading them onto this pc, with Windows 8, none of them work properly, either just sound and no video or the opposite, and I can't edit them at all, so there is about 10 minutes of us just chatting before we start, as my daughter set them up and left them on for ages.. With my old pc I could edit video easily, but this one just says the codex or something isn't in a format it can read.. I'm not very techy..

Casp'

That seems to suggest that it only works on Windows 10..

VLC Media Player will play just about any type of movie file.

Obtainable free from http://www.videolan.org/index.html

Just tried that, it plays it to an extent but the sound is poor and the video is very jerky, I couldn't see how to edit it, it would only play if you watched it from the very beginning, fast forwarding and then playing just seems to make it freeze.

That seems to suggest that it only works on Windows 10

From the page I linked:

Windows 10/Windows 8.x/Windows 7 Recommended System Requirements

Processor: AMD / Intel Core 2 Quad compatible at 2.4 GHz or higher

RAM: 3 GB or higher

Video: Windows 10/Windows 8.x/Windows 7 compatible video card

Sound: Windows 10/Windows 8.x/Windows 7 compatible sound card

VLC Media Player will play just about any type of movie file.

That's a player not an editor.

Just tried {VLC Media Player}, it plays it to an extent but the sound is poor and the video is very jerky, I couldn't see how to edit it, it would only play if you watched it from the very beginning, fast forwarding and then playing just seems to make it freeze.

Then it's either your PC or the file that's at fault. VLC plays anything (not that it edits, but it certainly should play it just fine)

Tony

Then it's either your PC or the file that's at fault. VLC plays anything (not that it edits, but it certainly should play it just fine)

Tony

Downloaded the AVS one, put a video on it and trimmed it from 40 minutes to just a couple, played ok on that, but it jumps a second or so at a time so sound was odd but thought this was just while editing. It wanted me to chose a format (i've no idea so picked MPEG), it saved on my pc. Went to play it on pc but there is only sound, no picture... Maybe I should just give up..

This video i'm been trying to play was taken with a Kodak camera onto a standard SD card..

Edited by casper ghost

That's a player not an editor.

Indeed it is, but Casper said he couldn't even play his video files. Having myself found that the default players installed on many PCs (e.g. Windows Media Player, Quicktime) don't always work I suggested one that should. The fact that VLC won't play them either suggests they are either corrupted or in some bizarre proprietary format.

Indeed it is, but Casper said he couldn't even play his video files. Having myself found that the default players installed on many PCs (e.g. Windows Media Player, Quicktime) don't always work I suggested one that should. The fact that VLC won't play them either suggests they are either corrupted or in some bizarre proprietary format.

Once I edited it with the one program it would then play with the VLC.. It's all gobbledegook to me..

Wonder if this one plays... It was taken with a phone and has not been edited. It shows that you don't need these massive engines people fit, the boat towing weighs 22 ton and only has a Lister SL2, it is towing a 43 foot boat..

Casp'

Edited by casper ghost

snapshot.bmp

Oh well, here's a picture instead..

That works ?

Agreed 100%

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to doing some work on fitting this engine..

Made a starter motor bracket to hold the Volvo starter.

post-6533-0-00183500-1472414826_thumb.jpg

Fuel line.

post-6533-0-94815800-1472414920_thumb.jpg

Home made exhaust...

post-6533-0-07020000-1472414962_thumb.jpg

Wiring next, and probably have to shim the starter motor to get it to engage correctly.

Casp'

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Starter motor lined up rather easily, just added a shim and that was it.. sorted all the wiring, which I had labelled as I took it down.. I had to replace a connector in the fuel line as it was leaking! filled the water system, put oil in and thought I would try and start it. I put my camera down to video it. It started fine, but I should have put the camera on something a bit more solid as the engine was shaking it..

Casp'

Fixed up the throttle and gear controls this weekend. Started the engine, but it took a fair few turns to start, as though it needed bleeding again! Put it into gear and it was fairly obvious that the propeller is too big for the little engine. I have an 18 x 19 propeller which the old twin ran with fine, but this single was not too happy, the governor kept the revs up so I think it will chug too fast passed boats. I will look for a smaller propeller as the boat is coming out for blacking in a few months.

I thought the engine was missing a bit, while standing right next to it, it sounded fine, running nicely, but going outside the exhaust pops were not even.. I don't know if the large expansion tank exhaust could cause this affect or whether the engine is missing..I've taken the injector out to get it checked, just in case..

I did see that the fuel return is leaking fuel onto the top of the head, which is then sitting around the injector, I don't know if this diesel could cause trouble, but i'll have to make a new return pipe up anyway. The diesel in this return pipe was a slightly orange colour? and cloudy? It runs off a day tank, so I'm wondering whether I should drain and clean that and start with fresh diesel?

Casp'

Draw a sample into a clean clear glass jam jar. There should be no sign of free water or anything solid. Additionally the diesel should be clear and bright like a good pint of real beer.

If it is not, get rid and clear the tanks out as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the engine was missing a bit, while standing right next to it, it sounded fine, running nicely, but going outside the exhaust pops were not even.. I don't know if the large expansion tank exhaust could cause this affect or whether the engine is missing..I've taken the injector out to get it checked, just in case..

Haven't been to the boat for a while, but I have had the injector checked and it is fine. The chap who checked it says that these single cylinder engines can run as though they are missing! I also spoke to a chap who has the same engine, but running a genny, he said that his is the same, sounds fine next to it, but his exhaust runs about 10 feet out of his shed and from there it sounds as though it is misfiring, he said they just do that at certain revs.. So maybe i'm worrying over nothing.. Anyway i'll still check the fuel next time i'm there and i'm still searching for a smaller propeller for it..

Casp'