Tethering, gobbling data

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I mostly use a dongle with a pre paid 6gb card from EE. This generally lasts me 6 weeks or so internet use which is mainly email, forums etc. I don't stream anything.

Anyway my phone is Giffgaff which I think is on the 02 network. I buy their 'goodybags', usually a £5 one which generally gives me enough minutes. A couple of times I've bought pricier ones that have larger data allowances, tetherable. I've found that when I tether the data gets eaten up very quickly. Where I might use 150mb in a day with EE, similar usage with Giffgaff is eating up the best part of 1gb.

Does anyone know why this might be?

I mostly use a dongle with a pre paid 6gb card from EE. This generally lasts me 6 weeks or so internet use which is mainly email, forums etc. I don't stream anything.

Anyway my phone is Giffgaff which I think is on the 02 network. I buy their 'goodybags', usually a £5 one which generally gives me enough minutes. A couple of times I've bought pricier ones that have larger data allowances, tetherable. I've found that when I tether the data gets eaten up very quickly. Where I might use 150mb in a day with EE, similar usage with Giffgaff is eating up the best part of 1gb.

Does anyone know why this might be?

We tehter to an iphone using two laptops; one with Ubuntu operating system, and one with (now) Windows 10. The Windows laptop would appear to use more data than the Ubuntu machine on average. What are you using for tethering to your phone?

Can't explain why GiffGaff versus EE should be so different though.

it could be that the EE data is all coming through a proxy that is compressing images etc (to make file sizes smaller)

I know that Virgin (which used to go through T-Mobile) used to be proxied in this way

Windows 10 updates is the obvious first guess here, but you've not said what OS you're using. I remember a thread where your netbook was broken and you were looking for a replacement but can't remember what you bought. Linux will also do automatic software updates but they tend to be more controllable and easier to see what's going on etc.

who corrected that thread title? - now I look like a prize pr*ck ......................... blush.png

for students of Latin/Greek etc. date is not, AFAIK, the plural of datum or the synonym of data. But then what do I know?

................. oh, I'm just a brainless puppydog, so I know nuffin. unsure.png

Edited by Murflynn

If you are using your phone as a wifi hotspot then your computer/tablet will assume its on landline/unlimited data and do all its updates.

On a dongle it realises that its not unlimited so holds back on updates.

If you are using your phone as a wifi hotspot then your computer/tablet will assume its on landline/unlimited data and do all its updates.

Surely that depends on the OS.

I'm on XP and my data usage for the same tasks as the OP is only 2gb per month. I still can't imagine how email and web browsing can consume so much!

Surely that depends on the OS.

I'm on XP and my data usage for the same tasks as the OP is only 2gb per month. I still can't imagine how email and web browsing can consume so much!

that's because XP doesn't do updates anymore.....android Ios later windows all do unless you turnit off

XP no longer supported.

We were on XP but switched to 8 then shortly after that to 10 simply because XP was not supported and was getting slower and slower,after update all was well again.

We both have windows phones and these consume data too without us actually using the net, we have turned off as much stuff as possible that uses data which helped a lot so maybe look through your phone to see what you can turn off

Phil

Do you have Skype? This can use your phone/PC as a relay for other peoples calls! I 'quit' Skype when not using it.

I thought the peer to peer part of skype was removed when skype was bought out by microsoft with all traffic now flowing through their servers.

You can manually override this by setting the wifi connection to 'metered' on the tethered device.

I thought the peer to peer part of skype was removed when skype was bought out by microsoft with all traffic now flowing through their servers.

Oh, I didn't know that. Looking on Google it seems that calls are still P2P but the supernodes are now hosted on Microsoft servers. I must research more.