Transporting a boat from Stanstead Abbotts and deliver to Fazeley boat yard?

Chas78

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I have just bought a boat which is moored at Stanstead Abbott-Lee Valley Marina is there anyone who could transport this boat from Stanstead to Fazeley obviousley the boat would have to be craned out and craned back in she is a 27ft GRP Highbridge Crusader thanks in advance wink.png

Why would the boat have to be craned out and in? There are boat movers who could do it by water.

Exactly, Googling suggests that a Highbridge Crusader has a beam of 6 foot 10 inches, so it will fit the narrow locks.

• Greenie 1

Why would the boat have to be craned out and in? There are boat movers who could do it by water.

To be put on to a truck o be delivered by road glare.gif

Is there anyone on here that could move it via water a reputable company??

To be put on to a truck o be delivered by road glare.gif

This is the most expensive option you could find. It will cost a crane fee to lift it, another crane fee to take it off plus a return trip for a suitable lorry

I suppose, if you are lucky, you could get a more expensive HIAB equipped lorry to do the job

It still sounds expensive

A commercial boat shifter will be less

Doing it yourself will be even cheaper and a lot more fun

Richard

• Greenie 1

Matty40s and Nigel Carlton of this forum

I don't really understand this. You have bought a boat - it's a boat and newbies hire bigger ones all the time with no experience and go haring about the system with no trouble. You have your own boat and can go on an adventure at your own pace. What could be more fun?

Richard

Richard if i said to you i have only been on a Narrowboat for a day and never been through a lock would you understand my reservations of doing that journey ? sick.gif

Not really. The first boat we hired, I had never been on a narrowboat at all.

You can take your time and spread the journey out over several small bits. I'm sure someone from the forum will be willing to come and help you out if you want. It will save you a lot of money and be an adventure you'll never forget - for the right reasons

Think it over, you are going to have to learn to move your new boat sometime

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Richard if i said to you i have only been on a Narrowboat for a day and never been through a lock would you understand my reservations of doing that journey ? sick.gif

I agree with Richard. The first time I went on a narrowboat, it was a hire boat, one of the hireboat staff gave us less than 5 minutes instruction, which didn't include the use of locks.

If you have the time, move it yourself. You will learn alot.

You can take your time and spread the journey out over several small bits. I'm sure someone from the forum will be willing to come and help you out if you want. It will save you a lot of money and be an adventure you'll never forget - for the right reasons

Richard

Me!

I'm one of several people on the forum who like to do this sort of move for nothing; I don't have a boat of my own and see it as a cheap boating holiday, and am quite happy to keep going for hours every day if you're in a hurry to get the boat from A to B. Canalplan has this trip as about 12 7 hour days, or it can be done as 7 12 hour days at this time of year; last July I did a similar trip (from Crick to Wootton Rivers on the K&A) as crew for paulmeds on this forum, who started it with not much more boating experience than you. I can teach you as you go along, but if you want to make things easier, the chances are we can find someone from the forum to come along on the first day so one of us can teach you steering while the other does locks or vice-versa.

The hardest part of your trip is getting through London; I've done hundreds of miles of boating and hundreds of locks by now, but I'm not ready to skipper a boat on the tidal Thames yet. Fear not, we just go through the ever-popular Regent's Canal, planning the overnight stops so that we can get a mooring.

The other thing to worry about is making sure your boat is in good order before doing a long trip; did your survey throw up any important problems which need fixing?

I'll send you a PM with my phone number in case you want to discuss anything.

• Greenie 1

Hi Peter X,

That is very kind of you but without sounding ungrateful i was hoping someone could do this for me i do not really have the time to do that journey never mind the nerves at the moment if someone would be willing to sail her back for me i am obviously willing to pay them wink.png

In the long term I might be interested in becoming a professional boat mover, but for now I'm not ready and set up to do that; once money changes hands all sorts of rules kick into play. You could try matty40s or Nigel Carton of this forum, who both come highly recommended by others; if they're not available there are other people too. My guess is that it would cost you maybe £800 to £1000, about the same as road transport.

I wouldn't want to do the trip single-handed, but if someone else from the forum will join me (and the boat works) I'm happy to take it on, only charging expenses such as diesel. This is so as to be doing it as a friend, covered by the owner's normal boat insurance, and not to be treated by the taxman as your employee.

Richard

There is a crane at Stanstead Abbotts marina that can easily lift this boat which should reduce the cost a bit.

Tim

Ian, I think it's working as the OP has said he's looking at either transporting it or having someone move it; he doesn't have the time to come along himself. I don't want to do it single handed, but If you're available for the week or so it would take us, and interested in moving it I'd love to do it.

Hi,

I've known Chas for about 25 years through a mutual interest in Rover P6s. I've offered to help him move this boat, but, can't take enough time out of work at the moment to do the whole trip. However, if there were a few other experienced people, who'd be willing to do either part of, or the whole trip, that would be great.

He'll be joining me next time I move my boat, which will be from Knowle to Birmnigham, so he'll get some experience of wide and narrow locks but that's not until next weekend.

Only thing is, although I'd be happy to help at the beginning of the adventure, I've got no river experience and unsure how wary we'd need to be.

Rob

With a bit of co-ordination this boat could be moved with the OP coming along when he has time off to learn the ropes..just ensure all well as far as you can with the boat. At least taking her on this trip will highlight any problems that need addressing.

Good luck

Hi All, & Rob,

Thank you again for all the advice and suggestions i have contacted several transport companies and one actually contacted me late last night my preference would be to get her back on the back of a truck i am told there is a crane at Stanstead Abbotts Marina and there is a slipway at Fazeley. The boat has not been used for 12 months due to the owners ill health the boat does run having a brand new Parsun 15hp outboard that has done about 10 hours work the only fault known is it has a dicky solenoid but the engine does start. If there were a boat closer to me of the same type i would have bought it for obvious reasons but this one came up and was exactly what we were looking for and there does not seem many types of this boat for sale anywhere? As i keep stressing i have not the time as Rob to do this whole journey with or without an aid and therefore the only options is to get someone to sail her back for me or transport on a truck my going along is NOT an option unfortunately sad.png again thank you all keep em coming i will try in the meantime to contact Matty40 and Nigel Carton if this transporter lets me down ???