Transporting a boat from Stanstead Abbotts and deliver to Fazeley boat yard?

Chas78

Featured Posts

I don't understand why the OP can't move the boat home in a succession of weekends. Learn the boat, learn the canals all at the same time.

He/she will have to learn to operate locks and moveable structures sooner or later, so why on earth not sooner?

It's not up to us to understand why he can't / doesn't want to move the boat himself, with or without help.

The suggestion has been made and he has considered it, but he knows his own personal circumstances and is in the position to make the decision that work best for him.

For some people time is in short supply, for others it's money, (and for a lot of us it's both!!!) so only the OP will know which to spend to fit in with the rest of his life.

So we've given him advice which he has taken, by contacting the suggested transporters and noting the details of the boat movers just in case.

I'm sure that when he gets the boat to where he wants her he'll be out and about learning how to use her and enjoy owning her, but if that starts as a day at a time that's fine.

Good luck with getting the boat where you want her, and enjoying owning her.

I hope you have as much fun with your boat as we've had with ours.

Sue

• Greenie 1

As i keep stressing i have not the time as Rob to do this whole journey with or without an aid and therefore the only options is to get someone to sail her back for me or transport on a truck my going along is NOT an option unfortunately

But you don't have to do the whole journey (at one go). You can boat for a few days, then leave the boat on the towpath for up to a fortnight (unless signed otherwise), then continue on. If you want you could take the whole summer (and much of the autumn) to get to Fazeley without being affected by any planned stoppages, and you would learn so much about your boat along the way. With the offers of help you have had that would be a pretty cheap and enjoyable way to do it.

But if you don't want to go boating and can't spare the time anyway, why on earth have you bought a boat?

I suspect it's the urgency of having to get it removed from the current location and up to somewhere local.

If you're not used to the concept/ don't know the safe areas, the thought of leaving a new purchase moored up, unattended, potentially for two weeks at a time is pretty alien.

Once the boat is nearby and travel time is reduced to 20 minutes, the opportunities to go boating are much more readily available, without the logistical headache of shuffling car and boat.

I'm showing Chas how things work by getting him to help me move my boat back into Birmingham, but, that's not happening until next weekend.

Rob

Hi All,

Can i first say a BIG thanks to everyone with all the offers to help advice and suggestions very much appreciated cheers.gif i have literally 10 mins ago secured some transport to bring the boat back via truck for this Wednesday happy days captain.gif

I'd have liked to move the boat if someone else had come forward to accompany me, but it wasn't to be.

Mrs Tawny Owl makes a good point, that ultimately it's your boat, your decision, and I wish you well and hope you enjoy many years of happy boating.

• Greenie 1