Oxford summit

Just Heaven

Featured Posts

We came along the Oxford summit yesterday. The levels were 4"-5" below the spill weirs. The back pumping meant that there was plenty of water for the Napton flight, but there was no water going down the by-washes at Claydon and several of the pounds were very low. It doesn't bode well for later in the season!

On your way back to Cropredy ? I have done 30 miles and 2 locks during your time out .there will be water in October for me hopefully .

CRT will be doing the usual closing the pound at night then opening both ends at same time in morning thus emptying pound as all boats queued to go up flights waste the water instead of one up one down.

Nice to meet your boat and Mrs. Heaven at Claydon (we moored just behind you, in fact I think you had kindly moved your boat forward to leave a space). Your timing is good - last weekend the levels were so low at Cropredy that some boats (including ours) were sitting on the bottom, and one deep-draughted boat could not get within six or seven feet of her mooring until the next day.

The South Oxford is known for being one of the canals more prone to suffering from water shortages, but I don't understand how closing the top pound at night would make any difference. Unless the theory goes that if you compress all the traffic that wants to move into a limited portion of the day, it becomes more probable that there will be a boat coming the other way that will make use of the water. But that won't help a lot because of the randomness of boat movements. A better strategy might be to encourage hire boat companies to spread their handover days through the week so as to reduce the amount of one way traffic they generate, but maybe the companies wouldn't want to do that for commercial reasons.

The ideal answer if possible would of course be to have a nice big reservoir above the summit pound to feed it. Perhaps geography and/or cost rules that out.

The ideal answer if possible would of course be to have a nice big reservoir above the summit pound to feed it. Perhaps geography and/or cost rules that out.

I have no doubt that the Oxford Canal Company thought of that and that such a reservoir exists, though I am not sure where it is. But the volume of traffic through the flights of locks (Napton/ Marston Doles one side, Cropredy/ Claydon the other) probably far exceeds the company's original projections. I was told last weekend that part of the problem in the Cropredy area is the shallowness of Cropredy lock - its and rise and fall is only about five feet, whereas the one below it (Slat Mill) is deeper, hence every boat takes more out of the pound in between than it brings down with it. I'm not sure if this theory holds, er, water, as there is a by-wash at Cropredy lock which surely lets a good deal of water down past the lock.

I have no doubt that the Oxford Canal Company thought of that and that such a reservoir exists, though I am not sure where it is.

Well there is Clattercote Reservoir, I always imagined it was to keep the top pound topped up.

I'm not convinced its as high as the summit pound though. I think a pump is still necessary. So maybe it's nothing to do with the canal.

Well there is Clattercote Reservoir, I always imagined it was to keep the top pound topped up.

I'm not convinced its as high as the summit pound though. I think a pump is still necessary. So maybe it's nothing to do with the canal.

Well, I imagine it isn't as high: aren't the five Claydon locks above its level?

Looking at CaRT Reservoir Watch the Clattercote reservoir is part of the Oxford and GU reservoir group.

Oxford & GU

Boddington, Wormleighton, Clattercote, Naseby, Sulby, Welford, Drayton, Daventry

GU South

Startopsend, Wilstone, Marsworth, Tringford

GU North

Saddington

For a full list and to see the state of the reservoir holding:

Follow the May 2016 link from the bottom of this page.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-work/water-management/day-to-day/reservoir-watch

Looking at CaRT Reservoir Watch the Clattercote reservoir is part of the Oxford and GU reservoir group.

Oxford & GU

Boddington, Wormleighton, Clattercote, Naseby, Sulby, Welford, Drayton, Daventry

GU South

GU North

Saddington

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-work/water-management/day-to-day/reservoir-watch

This is remarkable! The thread was started by Just Heaven, who was moored in front of us at Claydon Top on Friday night. Now here comes Arbutus who (assuming it's the same boat, a Norton Canes with a Gardner?) was moored immediately behind us that night!

This is remarkable! The thread was started by Just Heaven, who was moored in front of us at Claydon Top on Friday night. Now here comes Arbutus who (assuming it's the same boat, a Norton Canes with a Gardner?) was moored immediately behind us that night!

I was the original owner of Arbutus, a Norton Canes with a Gardner 2LW, but I sold it in September 2014. It’s now on it’s third owner. It was bought in February this year.

It wasn’t me who was responsible for putting the tractor seats on the back of it!

We did advise against and refused to do those dangerously silly seats, but the owners insisted. Unfortunately, very shortly after the second sale - to move to France, Brian died of a heart attack.sad.png

Life is too short folks, make the best of it while you are here.

I was the original owner of Arbutus, a Norton Canes with a Gardner 2LW, but I sold it in September 2014. It’s now on it’s third owner. It was bought in February this year.

It wasn’t me who was responsible for putting the tractor seats on the back of it!

I never noticed those - I was too busy admiring the signwriting and the engine, which looked slightly different from our 2LW but I didn't see it for long enough to work out in what way.

Oxford & GU

GU South

GU North

Saddington

And the Oxford summit is fed by

• Wormleighton (right by the canal at the south end of the tunnel - I quite often stop next to the bridge for five mins and pop up to have a look)

• Boddington (feeder enters about a mile north of Claydon top, under a half sized bridge on the towpath side). [the feeder is marked on this map, with the reservoir top right and the canal bottom left]

I think the "full" water level in Boddington is lower than it used to be say 30 years ago, due to concerns about the integrity of the dam.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

And the Oxford summit is fed by

• Wormleighton (right by the canal at the south end of the tunnel - I quite often stop next to the bridge for five mins and pop up to have a look)

• Boddington (feeder enters about a mile north of Claydon top, under a half sized bridge on the towpath side). [the feeder is marked on this map, with the reservoir top right and the canal bottom left]

Those make more sense, thanks for the info. So THAT's what the half-sized bridge is: I have winded round there occasionally (last time was last Friday!) and wondered what it was for.

If you have a really good look under that feeder bridge you will see it has a 'bar' across the stream.

It strikes me this is there to actually prevent the cut leaking away up the long feeder. IMHO.

I'm pretty certain that Boddington only discharges into the cut when it's getting overfull, but I bow to those with better knowledge.

Clattercote doesn't feed either anymore, it's over spill goes south and under the cut between Claydon bottom and Elkingtons as far as I can see ( having explored on foot) It's old feeder entered just north of the Hay bridge moorings on the sharp bend south of the lift bridge.

However I would say that in real terms the only spare supply for the Summit is Wormleighton and they did virtually drain it the summer before last,

all be it after lots of moaning calls & emails.

If you feel the level is too low PLEASE pester CaRT !

Tasty thread !