Wheeee ...................

Aguila

Featured Posts

Last week on the South Oxford we went past a lovely little plastic cruiser called Yogurt, owner was very happy that we got the joke, he said many failed.

.................Dave

High speed yogurt pot on the Leeds-Liverpool just below Appley Lock (91) this afternoon.

attachicon.gif_DSC0526c.jpg

High speed yogurt pot on the Leeds-Liverpool just below Appley Lock (91) this afternoon.

attachicon.gif_DSC0526c.jpg

If I happen to be on deck when boats speed by I wave and call out by 'sign language' and point frantically up the canal behind them - usually they cut the throttle and look back puzzled wondering what I am on about - then I call out "....stop!...you've lost your water skier..."

No slanging match or bad language. Usually they are lost for words...bit of fun really.

• Greenie 2

Passed us too today. The captain has the peaked cap with gold badge! The boat is called Moxy I think.

Yes, that's the one. He was in such a hurry that he left a bottom gate paddle half-open at Appley Lock. Folks coming down after Moxy could figure out why the lock wasn't filling! Seems to be a lot of novices about at the moment?

Last week on the South Oxford we went past a lovely little plastic cruiser called Yogurt, owner was very happy that we got the joke, he said many failed.

.................Dave

It went by me twice the same day ( I saw you in Broadmoor lock). I smiled at the name annd appreciated the joke.

Frank

.................Dave

I have a feeling I will regret asking - but for the moment the joke has gone over my head. -

I have a feeling I will regret asking - but for the moment the joke has gone over my head. -

Yoghurt pot is one of the derogatory descriptions of fibreglass boats

Richard

Yoghurt pot is one of the derogatory descriptions of fibreglass boats

Richard

There is a lot of generally good natured name calling between narrow boaters and plastic boaters. We used the generic term "tupperware" for plastic boats, and call the smaller ones yogurt pots and the big "multi story" ones wedding cake. They call narrow boats "sewer tubes" and sea sailors refer to canal users as ditch crawlers.

...............Dave

Are they allowed to fly that flag ?

Yep all vessels owned by a British National or British Company are entitled to fly the "Red Duster". In fact it's normally the ONLY flag that you are authorised to fly!! I digress.

How can they not notice the breaking wash and know what damage this will do to the banks??

My favourite is 'splitter' for GRP vessels. Was a Thames lock keeper who used this term - probably after seeing the result of a collision between a steel vessel and a grp vessel.

I heard a nasty crunching noise when the skipper of a GRP boat misjudged the pull from a weir and hit one of the guard posts hard. I suppose a steel boat could be called a denter.

There is a lot of generally good natured name calling between narrow boaters and plastic boaters

Really, always good natured? Personally, I find the whole lot of them unpleasant. I know people who own and love all sorts of boats, none of whom really appreciate these terms being applied to their pride and joy

Richard

• Greenie 2

Really, always good natured? Personally, I find the whole lot of them unpleasant. I know people who own and love all sorts of boats, none of whom really appreciate these terms being applied to their pride and joy

Richard

Good point

Its not all good natured that's for sure.

I think you have to know the person to use these terms or have it as part of an obvious humourous comment otherwise they may be assumed to be offensive.

As with a lot of things.

I would have thought the steel boat after the smash would be the splitter as it would be the one doing the splitting.

Neil.

So the GRP boat would just be the split ?

Edited by magnetman

Richard

Richard

Thanks for the explanation in previous post. It has never occurred to me to call them anything but cabin-cruisers. That stems from my first time on the Thames in a canoe in the early 50's.

Whilst terms like Tupperware or yogurt pot (or is it yoghourt for posh ones) might be 'fun' amongst a close circle friends, it seems the term 'sewer tube' is deliberately meant to offensive. 'Barge' is bad enough.

Whilst terms like Tupperware or yogurt pot (or is it yoghourt for posh ones) might be 'fun' amongst a close circle friends, it seems the term 'sewer tube' is deliberately meant to offensive. 'Barge' is bad enough.

This is how I see it too. I have found that no matter how different to your own tastes a boat may be, someone somewhere loves it

Richard