Through Manchester

Featured Posts

Due to the breach at Bollington we had to go the less pretty way to the T&M. Marple locks were slow but no trouble and the lower Peak Forest was a pleasure and much easier going than the last time we came along it. We decided to go straight down the Ashton and the Rochdale 9 in one day and so set of Tuesday morning. We are a family of four with an 11 year old daughter ans a 9 year old son, we had no trouble on the eighteen locks down to Manchester taking three and a half hours from Ashton. There was not sign of the much mentioned yobs and all the people be them young or old were plea sent and chatted to us all.

My brother joined us for the nine wide locks which was a good job as with the amount of water coming over the top gates we would have struggled. You must remember to pick up all your crew after lock 85 under the tower block as you can only access the next lock by boat. It would be handy if CaRT put a notice up warning you of this.

Lock 85 is a story in itself with sh*t all over the place and even somebody sat on the ground by the bottom balance beam injecting something into his leg. This was a very upsetting scene for my two children.

Castlefield was a lovely lace to moor with a selection of decent pubs, the wharf and the knott deserve a mention.

We traversed the Bridgewater stopping to buy a few things at the very welcoming Thorne Marine at Stockton Heath. We arrived last night at the Stanley Arms at Anderton for a great meal and a few welcome pints. We are now taking it easy for a couple of days with a trip on the Weaver and a bit of pottering before heading to Middlewich.

The unpleasant sight at Lock 85 is well worth reporting to CRT via an 'Incident Report Form'.

I know it won't change the past, but the more things are reported the more likely they will maybe get something sorted, possibly in conjunction with the feds, so well worth an email to their local neighbourhood officer too.

I don't know the area in question, but would it be possible to fence it off with access via a BW key?

Many years ago when the nine first reopened the only access was via a door it was opened up as part of the accessibility plans for the city centre, there was talk of closing the area off again but it met with opposition from the freedom for all brigade who did nothing to oppose the erection of glass walls to stop drunks falling into lock 84 which means when on a boat you are trapped lock side and can't get off to set the next lock.

I have sent a complaint to CaRT already ane wait with bated breath for the reply

Many years ago when the nine first reopened the only access was via a door it was opened up as part of the accessibility plans for the city centre, there was talk of closing the area off again but it met with opposition from the freedom for all brigade who did nothing to oppose the erection of glass walls to stop drunks falling into lock 84 which means when on a boat you are trapped lock side and can't get off to set the next lock.

I have sent a complaint to CaRT already ane wait with bated breath for the reply

I'd breathe if I were you Chris.

Holding your breath waiting for a satisfactory reply on this one is not good for your health. It is very clear that Manchester City Council and CRT have collectively put boaters well down the pecking order here.

Those on Canal Street and going to or from Canal Street are the priority, and we should be damn grateful that we are even permitted in their space.

Now, at that point, and before anybody gets the wrong idea about who "they" are;

I am, of course, well aware that this area of Manchester is known as the "Gay Village", but the problems there are absolutely bog all to do with sexual orientation. In an entirely unscientific bit of research, I've had a quick count up of friends that I know are Gay. None of them ever go there. I do know a few straight people who go there.

The problem there is that what was originally a safe place where gay people could congregate in less enlightened times has morphed into a place where hedonism rules, regardless of sexuality, and behaviours that just wouldn't be tolerated 100 yards away prevail, looked upon with benign disinterest by Council, CRT and GMP.

The last time we went through was (due to unfortunate timing) during Manchester Pride, and it isn't an experience to repeat!

As mere ordinary people, not participating in the "party", we were fair game for drunken idiots throwing bottles or spraying us with beer, congregating on the lock side and banging on the windows to upset the dogs, and shouting foul mouthed abuse (including some very personal comments at a friend on another boat who is gay). The police just stand there and watch.

At lock 87, the towpath was blocked off for works, and as it wasn't safe to try to get back on board once the gates were closed, I tried to get onto Princess St to follow the towpath diversion, only to find it blocked off and some event security guy trying to tell me that I couldn't come through.

Lock 85 is a story in itself with sh*t all over the place and even somebody sat on the ground by the bottom balance beam injecting something into his leg. This was a very upsetting scene for my two children.

That sounds really upsetting for the children,hopefully they will remember that sight when in later life they may be offered drugs themselves, .... they will know what it leads to.

• 2 weeks later...

We went in the opposite direction about the same time. Lock 85 was absolutely appalling. Four guys hanging around waiting for punters. Literally hundreds of empty syringe and condom packets on the offside and the stench of urine and poo everywhere. Couldn't wait to get away.

On the up side there is a sign up saying anyone caught engaging in lewd behaviour MAY be arrested.

• 3 months later...

I was walking through the Rochdale nine 2 weeks to get the feel of the place and was considering going through to do the cheshire ring. There was a boat in the lock with no water not a good place to be at night but this was afternoon and after await of 2 hrs he was on his way i talked to the couple and offered to help the lady do the locks which she was very happy with. We approached the underground lock and the lady was not happy going into as you could see two men hanging around in dark shadows we pushed our way pass and started to open the paddle but realised we would need to open the paddles on the other side but there was a further two men on that side with a small fire. The lady would not cross over and when i did the two men walked away there was dozens of needles laying on the floor we opened the gates which altogether must of taken some twenty minutes the man still on the boat and his wife out of sight all this time not knowing what was going on. They thanked me very much for my help and carried on to the Ashton canal and i walked back.

I have been told you can get help through the Rochdale nine but when i phoned CRT they said they would get back to me if they could help but have not contacted me as yet, i asked for help on the forum but no one could help so we decided not to bother there is no way i would let my wife attempt doing these locks on her own she is not strong enough and you do not know who or what these people are capable of, it is a pity she will not try and steer the boat and i could do the locks