Victron 3000/12

Rob99fla

Featured Posts

Hi. I have a Victron Multiplus 3000/12 charger/ inverter fitted to my boat. It came with the boat. It's about 2-3 years old I think. I have 4 Exide 115a/hr batteries. My problem is the fan. It sometimes (mostly even) runs all night. All I have on is the 240v fridge but this just switches on and off all night. Everything else is off. The batteries don't seem to discharge quickly. Does anyone know how to turn off or quieten the fan. And how to get to it as I might install a switch for night only to turn off. And clean the fan too. I have seen something on the Victron site about adding a piece of software unsing a PC connection but the PC lead is £50! Any ideas as we need some sleep. You might say switch off at night but then the fridge is too warm by morning. Thanks in advance. Rob

It's on the back deck. Plenty of airflow and goes even on a cold night. We were on hookup but now moving on using engine alternator. It was just the same before. Sometimes goes a few days without coming on all night but then it seems to just be on all the time. Does this help? Thanks

It's on the back deck. Plenty of airflow and goes even on a cold night. We were on hookup but now moving on using engine alternator. It was just the same before. Sometimes goes a few days without coming on all night but then it seems to just be on all the time. Does this help? Thanks

1) £50 is a small price to pay for a good night sleep and a cold fridge.

2) it's coming on because it is sensing it's at a temperature where it needs to. Faulty sensor? Full of dust? Poor airflow?

I'd open it up and see how dusty it is. A gentle hoovering and brushing might do the trick.

I own the same inverter. My fan only comes on when I'm inverting a lot of amps, or when the charger has been on for a long time when connected to shore (I charge at 60amps in bulk mode) I have 3 110AH lesire batteries.

I have a 240v fridge too btw (about to get a new shoreline 12v in next week).

Id highly recommend not disabling the fan, prob comming on for a reason. Have you spoken to Victron? I have found their Swedish based tech support to be ok.

Edited by Keajre

We have the same inverter, similar age. We had the same problem abd got advice from Onboard Energy at Springwood Haven - very helpful people.

They suggested removing and refitting the two main flat cable connectors on the circuit board, and do the same with the connectors for the fan, which are usually connected to brown wires at the top of the circuit board. Worked straight away! Apparently dust and damp can get into the connections causing it to play up.

Worth a try.

We have the same inverter, and the same problem. It runs for months without the fan coming on, then it will run constantly for days on end. I also wondered if it was more frequent at night, but I don't think it is. At one time I turned the inverter off for a few minutes then back on again and it seemed to "reset" the problem. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with ambient temperature or current drain. I exchanged many emails with the Victron technical contact but they were of no help, eventually telling me to return it for them to examine. I never did as this isn't convenient, at the moment things are quiet ! I wondered if it was a software fault switching the fan on accidentally, but the previous post about connectors is a thought.

We have the same inverter, and the same problem. It runs for months without the fan coming on, then it will run constantly for days on end. I also wondered if it was more frequent at night, but I don't think it is. At one time I turned the inverter off for a few minutes then back on again and it seemed to "reset" the problem. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with ambient temperature or current drain. I exchanged many emails with the Victron technical contact but they were of no help, eventually telling me to return it for them to examine. I never did as this isn't convenient, at the moment things are quiet ! I wondered if it was a software fault switching the fan on accidentally, but the previous post about connectors is a thought.

I totally agree with this diagnosis. I think a firmware update from Victron might do the trick but the cable is expensive (£59!) to connect to the PC to upgrade. With the help from Monsoon merchant, I might just fit a small switch in line with the brown fan connectors so I can switch off the fan at night if it throws a wobbly again. In my experience, manufacturers never admit to software (firmware) problems but want the unit back, say it needed a repair and charge you £250 for the privilege of updating their fault firmware with a later version. Perhaps, I'm a cynic! Anyway, I will clean up the fan at the same time as people have said they get dust in and become noisy. Many thanks for the good response.