WANTED: Alternator mount/bracket suitable Lister HA

Featured Posts

Thanks to the very good offices of a forum member "Flamingo's" AC5 alternator has been diagnosed as actually having internal shorting to earth on the rotor.

Despite the rest of the unit apparently being in very good condition, it seems that the best way forward may well be to replace entirely with a more modern unit like an A127.

Unfortunately the mounting arrangements, including separation, and probably offset of the mounting lugs on the current bracket are not suitable.

I also have a used unit (probably an A133?) lent by a forum member, but the same failure of anything to line up applies.

A bit of a long shot, I know, but does anybody please have a spare engine bracket that an A127 type alternator might mount to, or know where I might source one ready made. (Ebay yields a complete blank, I think).

Although I have mentioned an HA engine, I imagine it might be possible to modify a bracket intended for the right alternator but on a different engine, particularly if this only involved drilling new holes where it bolts to the engine.

Or of course if anybody has a working AC5R they don't need.... (Well, I can hope!....)

Or of course if anybody has a working AC5R they don't need.... (Well, I can hope!....)

Is that the same as an AC5RS ?

Not cheap but available here :

http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/alternator-ac5rs24-24v-55a-p-102725.html

I have two Ford 2725e Engines in my boat (as used in the Ford cargo truck) so I regularly use Truck parts suppliers.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Is that the same as an AC5RS ?

Not cheap but available here :

http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/alternator-ac5rs24-24v-55a-p-102725.html

I have two Ford 2725e Engines in my boat (as used in the Ford cargo truck) so I regularly use Truck parts suppliers.

Ah! - because I was asking mainly about the bracket, I didn't specify that it is a 12 volt installation!

(24V AC5R units seem to be more common.)

Any competent metal worker should be able to fabricate one in less than an hour, it is after all only a bit of bent steel.

Yes point taken, but if somebody can turn one up that doesn't need fabricating it would be great.

In fact it needs to be more than a piece of bent metal if built from scratch, because of how it bolts to the engine. Some welding would be required, as it needs one of the mount points to be a right angle stand off from a plate that mounts on the engine, but it would be jointed to the middle of that plate. Still easy for the right person to do it, but slightly more involved.

Do you happen to know anywhere close to here that would tackle this in a reliable way?

Hi Alan, I've replied to your email.

I've found someone who can recondition this alternator.

I thought they probably could as they've managed to get an alternator from a 1935 Perkins engine working for us, and that's certainly obsolete!

Sue.

Hi Alan, I've replied to your email.

I've found someone who can recondition this alternator.

I thought they probably could as they've managed to get an alternator from a 1935 Perkins engine working for us, and that's certainly obsolete!

Sue.

It doesn't need reconditioning. It's in excellent condition with the brushes not quite worn in. It needs a failed rotor replaced which will happily ride the pretty well new bearings already in place. I will be pricing up a replacement rotor when I am back at work monday as one option.

It doesn't need reconditioning. It's in excellent condition with the brushes not quite worn in. It needs a failed rotor replaced which will happily ride the pretty well new bearings already in place. I will be pricing up a replacement rotor when I am back at work monday as one option.

Hi,

I'm trying to not keep pestering you, (honestly), which is why I'm also looking at options that get us running again, pending whatever is the final best outcome. A further twist is that other things are keeping us stuck here until Monday at least, but we are still committed to being a "dormitory boat" at the Stoke Bruerne festival if we possibly can - hence why I'm exploring every option, as it is becoming increasingly unlikely we can get it on a land-line for a fortnight or more.

I am also even wondering if that A133 that someone has kindly donated to me can be pressed into services as an interim measure, (assuming it is working!). I'm slightly confused though, (not unusually), as in trying to work out the connections, everything I find suggests these normally have some kind of capacitor suppressor pack mounted on the back casing, and those bits didn't come with it. So are they required, or can it be used without?

The other issue in trying to use that is that it is pulleyed for a 10mm V belt, rather than the 13mm V belt used by the engine, so presumably not good news to try and make a 13mm belt run in a 10mm pulley?

As ever I'm exceedingly grateful to anybody advising on short-term work arounds or the best final answer. I'm particularly grateful to Sir Nibble for driving up from the South coast on a truly foul day, and giving the expert diagnosis he has just repeated above. The current AC5R is actually in remarkably good condition apart from one internal failure that only the real expert with the right knowledge and right equipment will ever find. It would be nice if it could be ultimately brought back to life, as it has a build quality far beyond what you might see in the modern Lucas clones!

£289 (+ VAT?)

I don't think I love the current alternator that much. :o

However it also says:

Availability: Out of stock

Fair enough, I didn't know the finer details, it was just Alan thought it was dead so was asking about different brackets, and I wanted to give another option.

I'm confident enough in my repairer that he'd see that and fit new parts accordingly.

His recon price is for repair or exchange so I suppose he has to price for the most usual things that need doing.

For interest the price would be £140.25 including VAT and of course it's up to Alan to decide what's his best option.

Sue