what should i use to plug a hole in grp superstructure?

Featured Posts

Hi boat builders and problem fixers-

I am battling the leaks in my grp river cruiser and just found out a lot are coming through a hole in the roof. there is a 5mm hole with a cable running through it for my headlight. but there is no sealant or anything in the hole?

What would you recommend to block it up?

I was going to pull the cable out (head light isnt even working) and put some silicone sealant in there. does that sound like a plan? any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks you lot. happy sailing x

I avoid silicone as much as I can, as it does not paint and silicone residue also does not take adhesives well. So could give you problems in future.

For a quick fix, I would use a blob of polyurethane sealer/adhesive. Longer term you can use a cable gland if you want to keep the cable, or as above use a fibre glass repair kit. Or use epoxy and some glass fibre mat.

Quick fix to seal a 5 mm hole ?

Pull cable .Drive in a snug fitting self tapping screw .

Don`t use silicone like the guys have said.

I second the fiberglass repair kit , or cable gland for a more permanent arrangement.

If this hole is really only 5 mm diameter you can just get a small tube of epoxy and add some baby powder ( its just pretty smelling industrial talc anyway ) and mix as a filler / stopper.

Easy repair either way.

Edited by boat fan