Morso squirrel problems

Kapt. Kipper.

Featured Posts

Not being a stove expert I need advice on the condition of my morso. A couple of months ago after a winter asleep I opened up my boat. I found water ingress from stove pipe through roof joint. I removed the roof plate and resealed it. So far so good. However all the joints of my stoves body have a white deposit ouzing out. This I pressume is a sealer. Can I scrape this out and reseal it?. How do I know it has properly resealed ? .

Hi

Just a suggestions, Look inside using a torch to check inside sealant, check fire when lite with CO2 detector .

I'm sure other members will be along shortly with have a more technical / profession / ideas .

Awoken to read all the responses mmmmmmm thanks Alan&sue......seems I got a problem nobody knows the answer to.I have a co detector so that will warn me, but I didn't want to go to all the trouble of resealing and find I'm wasting my time.

How solid is the joint between flue pipe and roof collar? When the stove warms up and expands, something's got to move or flex, and it's better being the joint than the stove top. This may be the reason sealant is getting squeezed out.

I must say Iain when I removed the roof collar there was a great deal of corrosion. It took me ages to clean it down.and the webbing liner was rotted. I think I'm going to replace the whole flu. The white ''stuff'' is ousing out off the sides of the main box. It could be I'm going to replace the whole unit. It is 15yrs old. Is this a good age for a stove, or are they indestructible.

• 3 weeks later...

Not being a stove expert I need advice on the condition of my morso. A couple of months ago after a winter asleep I opened up my boat. I found water ingress from stove pipe through roof joint. I removed the roof plate and resealed it. So far so good. However all the joints of my stoves body have a white deposit ouzing out. This I pressume is a sealer. Can I scrape this out and reseal it?. How do I know it has properly resealed ? .

The joints of a Squirrel are meant to be sealed with 7mm glass rope, not a 'sealant'. The fire rope forms a non-rigid but gas-tight seals between the 6 panels and between the six panels and between the spare flue outlet and its lid What is oozing out will be corrosion products from the rain water and the fire deposits inside the stove. Scraping it off the outside will make it look better but not cure the problem.

If left, rust will set in and you will get the classic Squirrel cracking problem. Ideally you need to dismantle the stove and clean the cr@p out of the joints, then renew the ropes. This is a b8gger of a job because:

The bolts that hold the stove together are hard to get at

The same bolts will be corroded up and you will have to grind the heads off. The stumps then usually screw out easily!

The whole of the inside of the stove will be filthy.

It is very hard to persuade the stove rope to stay in the right places whilst you re-assemble the stove.

Many people overtighten the new bolts (use stainless cap-heads with plenty of Coppaslip or other anti-sieze ) so the panels can't move as the stove warms up, and the dreaded Squirrel cracking sets in. The bolts should be only a little tighter than hand-tight.

If you don't take the stove apart, at least dry it all out by lighting a small fire and slowly warming the stove up, then build the fire up to a small inferno so that all the joints get dried out. Fortunately it is English summer so you may need the warmth anyway.

15 years is a good age for a Squirrel, but spare parts can readily, but not cheaply, be had from Harworth heating.(Web site something like oilstoves.co.uk) (Usual disclaimer).

Dismantle and refurb is much cheaper than renewal and the modern versions are not quite the same as the old ones.

N

• 1 month later...

Cheers BEngo, sorry about the delay holds and internet probe. Tried a small fire, C.O. alarm went ballistic. Me thinks a new stove is needed. To go to all the trouble as you described and still it leaks. Bullet between teeth I'm going in.