Advice on oil and filters

Featured Posts

Hi, need to change oil and filters on a Isuzu, boat book advises API CC 15W/40, however struggling to find that, and I think from receipts on boat , it was last changed with10w/40, so would this be acceptable, its the cheapest I can find of that spec-http://www.classic-oils.net/Morris-Classic-Marine-10w40

Also have looked at Isuzu filters, apparent Isuzu filters, on e bay come to- oil, fuel and air;=£45

. whereas

-http://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/ =£25,big difference, I only looked as have been advised on here b4 in previous threads, are they as good as the dealers filters ?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I would trust filters form a known company over anything on Ebay. You have no idea about the source of Ebay filters and they could be bakes with vital parts missing. If the Engin is well run in, you do not charge on tickover, and you give the engine a thrash a few times a year I suspect that 15W40 in API CF would be fine. That's what I now use in the Bukh.

I would use one of the online filter manufacturers catalogues to get their part number and take that to a local motor factors. I have just bought a Fram spin on oil filter for £5 from my local factor.

I suspect that 15W40 in API CF would be fine. That's what I now use in the Bukh.

If the engine manufacturer specifies API CC, then are we supposed to use API CC or above (i.e. API CF) or API CC or below? huh.png

Hi, need to change oil and filters on a Isuzu, boat book advises API CC 15W/40, however struggling to find that, and I think from receipts on boat , it was last changed with10w/40, so would this be acceptable, its the cheapest I can find of that spec-http://www.classic-oils.net/Morris-Classic-Marine-10w40

That looks to me like it is API CC. I'm not sure what the SF means?

If the engine manufacturer specifies API CC, then are we supposed to use API CC or above (i.e. API CF) or API CC or below? huh.png

That looks to me like it is API CC. I'm not sure what the SF means?

The API specification normally consists of two letters. The first will be a C for compression ignition (diesel) engines or a S for spark ignition (petrol) engines. The second letter indicates the oils performance, the further away from A you get the "better" the oil will perform. That word "better" is not ideal but its simple to understand. For a variety of reasons it is best to try not to exceed the second letter specification. SO API SF is a petrol engine oil that performs "better" than an SC.

You obviously do not want a lower performing oil than that specified by the manufacturer but a higher specification will not lead to more wear but in certain engines and in certain circumstances it MIGHT (not will) prevent the engine running in properly and MIGHT (not will) lead to bore glazing. Hence the stipulations I made in my post above.

As far as API is concerned CC, CD, & CE are obsolete specifications and are all replaced by CF. This is probably fine for road vehicles and engines that spend their life under full or close to full load and higher revs like generators. Diesels in canal boats are rather different in that they spend most of their time under light loads and at competitively low revs. This tends to promote bore glazing so to help minimise the risk it is probably better to stick with the lower grade oils towards that specified by the engine manufacturer. But as long as you take care with battery charging revs etc. most of us can probably avoid paying a premium for lower spec oils by using the lowest API spec. ones that are readily available.

15/40 is 'widely available' from motor factors. well it is here darn sarf and in various qualities (turbo / non turbo etc). Discounts if you buy 5 cans at once. By beta uses s cans at once - so storing 3 extra is not too much of an inconvenience.

Retailers won't / don't stock it as it's not a fast mover.

To anybody struggling with oil and filters, I can do no more than recommend www.filtermania.co.uk
I get all my fuel filters and sometimes engine oil filters from them (Vetus in my case but they do lots of others.) They tend to supply high quality "Baldwin" filters and I think Millers oil. All fuel filters have compliant drain taps (in my experience.) I have saved a fortune over the last few years when compared to Vetus prices.

No connection etc.

1. Thanks for answers, I was comparing against this on e bay, the oil is free postage so comes out the same price

-eBay item number:

The filters are cheaper elsewhere, but not Isuzu, and the oil is 10w/40 although that does not appear to make much difference against the recommended 15w/40

Maybe I am being too picky with my lack of knowledge, thanks again.

For the fuel filter I am now changing to a fleetguard ff5394 as it's the same length as the original Isuzu filter. I get the cheapest prices from my local car parts shop but have bought from http://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/, wonderfully convenient. I have not used filtermania but they seem well regarded, I have seen bargains and rip offs on eBay, but they don't feel right?

I think I have used both 10w/40 and 15w/40 oil but always cc grade.

My deliberations on filters are here: https://indigodream.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/technical-isuzu-42-servicing-info/

For the fuel filter I am now changing to a fleetguard ff5394 as it's the same length as the original Isuzu filter. I get the cheapest prices from my local car parts shop but have bought from http://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/, wonderfully convenient. I have not used filtermania but they seem well regarded, I have seen bargains and rip offs on eBay, but they don't feel right?

I think I have used both 10w/40 and 15w/40 oil but always cc grade.

My deliberations on filters are here: https://indigodream.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/technical-isuzu-42-servicing-info/

Remember Isuzu, Lister, Perkins, JCB,and every other manufacturer don't make filters, they buy someone else's painted in their colours, they are not even made to their specification.

Remember Isuzu, Lister, Perkins, JCB,and every other manufacturer don't make filters, they buy someone else's painted in their colours, they are not even made to their specification.

Didn't know that, so within reason, get any recommended filter, thanks.

But good makes from a reliable source, I always use Delphi for my diesel filters because I know they are made differently to some other cheaper makes.For the oil I use Bluepoint from my local motofactors

Just beware. Most spin on oil filters have two valves inside them, an anti-drain down valve that prevents oil running from the filter back into the sump when the engine is stationary. This prevents the big ends knocking and pistons scuffing while the oil pump fills the filter. There is also a pressure differential valve that opens and allows unfiltered oil to circulate if/when the filter becomes blocked. There is no way one can check to see if the valves are in place and they are of suitable quality unless you cut one open so stick to brand names from reliable sources. Be very, very wary of apparent bargains on internet auction sites. There are fakes out there than may not have the valves or if they do the valves may be very substandard.

But good makes from a reliable source, I always use Delphi for my diesel filters because I know they are made differently to some other cheaper makes.For the oil I use Bluepoint from my local motofactors

This is the difference between a Delphi and an equivalent, as you can see they are not the same

post-261-0-08568600-1463918310_thumb.jpg

I have used that make for the boat and car a lot. I get a 5 for 4 price with our local supplier so always stock up on them. Same with oil.

Quote from recent topic re CC oils for Isuzu

"Reading the thread reminded me that I needed to buy oil for my boats eng/gbx as I had used the last of my Isuzu branded 10w40 CC on my last oil change

As this is what HMI Isuzu state "must" be used in both eng/gbx I asked about for a supplier and was recommended

Pennine Lubricants who manufacture, or blend if you wish "Classic Marine Oil 10W40 API CC "

Pennine advised nearest supplier as Tools & Threads Ltd of Macclesfield

Cost £69 for 25ltrs = £2.76 ltr

Both Pennine and Tools and Threads are on the WWW - above for info as I have no involvement with either company"

Regards Ray